follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have chirping (cricket) noise during idle once the car is warmed up?
Yes (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 3,100 85.21%
No (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 538 14.79%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #281
Indestruct

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ, MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchicken View Post
Has anyone went to the dealership pointed out your findings or at leased called they to put it on record that doing this does make the crickets go away then toyota can source out a product that they feel comfortable with and us the minimum standard.

I have an appointmt with the dealer to address many issues, lets hope the crickets come out tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what they say.
Indestruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #282
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
I just had my fuel light go on for the first time. I filled up before that ever happened at Mobil or BP the last 3 times.

This time I went to Shell. Seems like the car really runs better on Shell. I'm certain that this is completely a placebo effect as I always laughed quietly to myself when someone says something like that but I HAVE to believe it because I spent 4.15/gal when the Mobil station 20 yards away was charging 3.61/gal for 93.

Fortunately my crickets are still dead but I'm certain there's still enough 2 stroke oil left in the gas to do that on its own. No way to really attribute this to the gas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

So I filled up this morning from the gas light having come on. That diluted the oil enough that by the time I got home the chirping was back. It was quieter than before buck quickly getting louder.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #283
adprokid

Drives: ZN6 / GDB-G
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2 stroke oil in gas tank !?

someone should forward this thread to Subaru/Scion of North America
adprokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #284
Brimford

Drives: Whiteout / MT FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adprokid View Post
2 stroke oil in gas tank !?

someone should forward this thread to Subaru/Scion of North America
I'd be surprised if someone hasn't yet.

I'm pretty sure if you search chirp and fr-s on google this comes up first.
Brimford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #285
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimford View Post
I'd be surprised if someone hasn't yet.

I'm pretty sure if you search chirp and fr-s on google this comes up first.
I just sent them a lengthy email. I reiterated a lot of information that may have originated from Toyota but I wanted it to seem as though I'd deduced everything on my own and through research.

Quote:
My family and I have purchased 11 or more vehicles from Toyota/Scion over the years and we've never been disappointed until now. I just purchased my FR-S on 6/28 and couldn't be happier with the vehicle and the service I have received from my local dealer, Toyota of Wallingford in Wallingford, CT, or the vehicle itself. Except for one issue.

It seems that there is a difference between the fuels used in Japan and the fuels used in the US as far as additives go. Either there are additional lubricants in the fuel from Japan or the ethanol in most US fuels is causing a problem.

I, and a great many other owners of the 2013 FR-S as well as the 2013 Subaru BRZ in the US, are experiencing and incredibly annoying issue with this vehicle and I know it has been reported before. It seems as though the vehicles shipped from Japan with some fuel in the tank and, of course, they get topped off by the dealerships prior to delivery but once we put on ~300 miles and are required to fill the tank completely with US fuel we begin experiencing this problem.

There is apparently a washer in the high pressure fuel pump for the Toyota supplied direct injection system that requires lubrication from the fuel running through it. In the US it does not appear to be getting this lubrication and a loud noise is emitted from the engine bay. In some cases it is louder than others. In my case it is absurdly loud. The noise sounds VERY MUCH like crickets chirping and is most noticeable at idle when all other noises are minimized. However, it does continue up to roughly 2.2k RPMs before the engine noise drowns it out. It does not occur upon start up due to the way the direct and port injection systems operate but is very apparent after the engine gets up to temperature and has been driven for a bit.

It is absolutely embarrassing to be driving a car that is so noticeable and unique at the moment that it constantly draws attention only to have to then explain WHY the engine is making such a noise.

I've found that using a simple fuel additive that includes lubricants the noise can be silenced but once the tank is refilled with our US gas the noise returns after not much additional driving.

Again, I know it has been reported before but I would very much like my voice to be heard as well. I sincerely hope that Toyota and Subaru are working on addressing this issue as I've met with other owners and have yet to find an FR-S or BRZ that is not doing this. I would love to be contacted with some sort of confirmation that a resolution is being sought and it is only a matter of time until a fix is distributed to dealerships.

Aside from this one issue that, while it appears to not be detrimental mechanically, is incredibly grating and annoying I love this car. It felt so great to drive this wonderful vehicle this morning after using the aforementioned additive and hearing a smoothly running engine unaccompanied by any unwanted sounds. I hate that I need to use fuel additives on my brand new Scion in order to truly enjoy driving it.

Here is a Youtube video documenting this made by another owner. The camera does not pick up the noise with the windows down but it can be heard inside the car.

Thank you.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chewie4299 For This Useful Post:
adprokid (07-13-2012), Bonburner (07-12-2012), cobrabyte (07-12-2012), excited86 (07-12-2012), Re~Mix (07-12-2012), Sigh-on-Rice (07-12-2012), ToxicSneakers (07-13-2012), YukiHachiRoku (07-13-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #286
Lowellrenzo

Drives: Civic Si coupe
Does that whole problem do damage to the engine? I just hope not
Lowellrenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #287
BLL

Drives: BRZ
Noticed really loud consistent chirping around 1000km mark. Had been filling up at petrocan94. Filled up at Shell today after gas light came on, and all chirping gone. Hopefully it stays this way..
BLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #288
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowellrenzo View Post
Does that whole problem do damage to the engine? I just hope not
Toyota/Subaru said that it doesn't effect anything performance wise. It's just annoying sound.

It seems Shell gas has been helping the chirping. Two members aren't getting the sound once they use that brand. I'm going to try it at my next fill up.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #289
excited86

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLL View Post
Noticed really loud consistent chirping around 1000km mark. Had been filling up at petrocan94. Filled up at Shell today after gas light came on, and all chirping gone. Hopefully it stays this way..
which octane level?
excited86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #290
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
Toyota/Subaru said that it doesn't effect anything performance wise. It's just annoying sound.

It seems Shell gas has been helping the chirping. Two members aren't getting the sound once they use that brand. I'm going to try it at my next fill up.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with ethanol content. I bought Shell and got chirping here in CT. I think that all gas in CT has ethanol @ 10%.

Others are having luck after buying certain brands. I think what they are actually getting is ethanol free gas.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #291
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
I've used Sunoco and Mobil here, both giving me chirping.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #292
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
I'm going to buy THIS (3.2oz Pennzoil 2-cycle oil bottle) and THIS (1gal of the same oil).

I'm going to carry the small bottle with me and add it to the tank every time I fill up and then I'll refill it at home. 3.2oz bottle gets you roughly 500:1 in our 13.2gal tank. I'm going to try to run my tank down to the light but not much further before filling up so I'll keep the bottle about 2/3 to 4/5 full as there will already be some in the tank.

I've been researching it and using quality 2-cycle oil looks like it will do no harm to a 4-cycle engine and will actually only serve to prolong the life of the engine by ensuring lubrication every cycle. Some even claim it can help gas mileage albeit minimally.
I would use a higher quality 2T oil, mainly for the very low ash content, so that it does its job and is completely used up by the combustion.
I carry a 1L bottle in the car, with graduations so that you see how much you are adding. I also set the trip each time I fill up so that I know how much to add. It doesn't need to be exact. As I mentioned for my diesel I use 200:1 but suggested that 500:1 should be enough to lubricate the high pressure fuel pump. That is the same reason I use it and my common rail diesel also runs a cat.
Once again, Valvoline 2 stroke RACING oil, is very high spec and the only one I use.

30mpg will give about 400miles to a tank. If you increase a bit to 4oz per tank that gives a simple 1oz per 100miles on the trip when you fill up so you chuck it in first for 420:1

I would also be concerned for the rest of the HP fuel system that has been designed to use fuel carrying a lubricant as they have in Japan.

The better MPG is a fact and noticeable using it at 200:1 As is smoother and quieter.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #293
excited86

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
I would use a higher quality 2T oil, mainly for the very low ash content, so that it does its job and is completely used up by the combustion.
I carry a 1L bottle in the car, with graduations so that you see how much you are adding. I also set the trip each time I fill up so that I know how much to add. It doesn't need to be exact. As I mentioned for my diesel I use 200:1 but suggested that 500:1 should be enough to lubricate the high pressure fuel pump. That is the same reason I use it and my common rail diesel also runs a cat.
Once again, Valvoline 2 stroke RACING oil, is very high spec and the only one I use.

30mpg will give about 400miles to a tank. If you increase a bit to 4oz per tank that gives a simple 1oz per 100miles on the trip when you fill up so you chuck it in first for 420:1

I would also be concerned for the rest of the HP fuel system that has been designed to use fuel carrying a lubricant as they have in Japan.

The better MPG is a fact and noticeable using it at 200:1 As is smoother and quieter.
which one are you using?
excited86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #294
Thunderchicken

Drives: 2008 STi
Something came to mind when ethanol popped up and maybe the HPFP is causing the ethanol to draw in moisture in to the HPFP as it compresses the fuel and washing the lubrication from the fueling system. It may mean the use of a fuel stabilizer to keep the moister down and all parts well lubricated. It will only get worse when they up the ethanol to 15%.
Thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote