follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
ikarntspel

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help in picking the correct wheel and tire

Hi,

Finally decided to purchase some new rims and tires but did not realise the difficulty in finding the right sizes.

The rims im currently looking at are the Rota Grids or Rota Grid (R) in the 18"s

Im thinking of going around a 9 or 9.5 width for the rears. What kind of offset would i be looking at if i want the rims to not stick out of the body but not be in the guard. i want it to be just perfect (or a tiny bit out). I read somewhere that the front wheels need to have a higher offset as they're generally out more. Is that true? and would a 9 or 9.5 rub on the sides when turning for the front? Ive tried looking at the sticky post about size and fitment but it still confuses me. Also wanted to mention that i want the 9.5s because from the videos ive seen i believe that the 9.5s have a more concave look to it compared to the rest.

From looking at other post ive seen most people use 235/40/18 front and 245/40/18 rear tires, would this be a appropriate set up? coz i have completely no idea about what size tires to get.

Sorry for so many questions haha, any help is appreciated.

Cheers
ikarntspel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Killerbee

Drives: GR86 / Supra MK5 MT / MR-S / Z4
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarntspel View Post
Hi,

Finally decided to purchase some new rims and tires but did not realise the difficulty in finding the right sizes.

The rims im currently looking at are the Rota Grids or Rota Grid (R) in the 18"s

Im thinking of going around a 9 or 9.5 width for the rears. What kind of offset would i be looking at if i want the rims to not stick out of the body but not be in the guard. i want it to be just perfect (or a tiny bit out). I read somewhere that the front wheels need to have a higher offset as they're generally out more. Is that true? and would a 9 or 9.5 rub on the sides when turning for the front? Ive tried looking at the sticky post about size and fitment but it still confuses me. Also wanted to mention that i want the 9.5s because from the videos ive seen i believe that the 9.5s have a more concave look to it compared to the rest.

From looking at other post ive seen most people use 235/40/18 front and 245/40/18 rear tires, would this be a appropriate set up? coz i have completely no idea about what size tires to get.

Sorry for so many questions haha, any help is appreciated.

Cheers
First of all, only the 9.5" have the real concave look. The 8.5 and 9" do have a bit concave on them, but not to be compared with the 9.5" ones.

To answer you question correctly we would need to know if you're lowered, and if yes, on springs or coilovers, and if you have or will have in the future any camber set / planned.

If you want the concave look there is only the option for 9.5" square, in +38 offset. however this will poke out quiet a bit in the front, and may rub in the front if you're not on coilovers

Here is a link http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11222

If you want a good fitting on stock suspension, I strongly recoommend 8.5"

Either staggered with 9.5 in the rear -> http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10406

or 8.5 all around -> http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43844

hope that helps for now.

If you know what wheels you want let me know, I can help then with tire sizes
Killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Killerbee For This Useful Post:
BDKane01 (06-01-2016), ikarntspel (06-07-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
ikarntspel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
First of all, only the 9.5" have the real concave look. The 8.5 and 9" do have a bit concave on them, but not to be compared with the 9.5" ones.

To answer you question correctly we would need to know if you're lowered, and if yes, on springs or coilovers, and if you have or will have in the future any camber set / planned.

If you want the concave look there is only the option for 9.5" square, in +38 offset. however this will poke out quiet a bit in the front, and may rub in the front if you're not on coilovers

Here is a link http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11222

If you want a good fitting on stock suspension, I strongly recoommend 8.5"

Either staggered with 9.5 in the rear -> http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10406

or 8.5 all around -> http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43844

hope that helps for now.

If you know what wheels you want let me know, I can help then with tire sizes
Thanks for the reply and the info, i will most likely be on springs in the future instead of coilovers. Does that mean if i want a concave look at the front i would have to look into the Grid (R) for the front. Or do the rims differ quite a bit in their 'concaveness'. Also wanted to know if the back width matterered much in terms of rubbing.

Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Killerbee

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and the info, i will most likely be on springs in the future instead of coilovers. Does that mean if i want a concave look at the front i would have to look into the Grid (R) for the front. Or do the rims differ quite a bit in their 'concaveness'. Also wanted to know if the back width matterered much in terms of rubbing.

Thanks again.
As far as I know the Grid (R) are with an added "lip" to the concavness, and from what I get over here the offset is way off for our cars (however, we dont get the full lineup of Rotas over here)

For rear you can go 9.5" +38, no rubbing issues at all
For front, best would be 8.5"+38/+35 something around that. Check if you can get Grid (R) in those dimensions, and also ask for an actual picture of the wheels in those sizes, as they also may be not as convace as the 9.5".

When you dont want any poke in the front, your only option for a real concave look is 9.5" +38 all around and coilovers with some camber to get the wheels back into the fenders. Not a cheap option, but the best there is.

If you can live with the less concave look of the 8.5" Grid I would strongly recommend these
Old 05-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
ikarntspel

Quote:
As far as I know the Grid (R) are with an added "lip" to the concavness, and from what I get over here the offset is way off for our cars (however, we dont get the full lineup of Rotas over here)

For rear you can go 9.5" +38, no rubbing issues at all
For front, best would be 8.5"+38/+35 something around that. Check if you can get Grid (R) in those dimensions, and also ask for an actual picture of the wheels in those sizes, as they also may be not as convace as the 9.5".

When you dont want any poke in the front, your only option for a real concave look is 9.5" +38 all around and coilovers with some camber to get the wheels back into the fenders. Not a cheap option, but the best there is.

If you can live with the less concave look of the 8.5" Grid I would strongly recommend these
Thanks, i guess ill be going for the 9.5 rears and the 8.5 fronts. would the 38 or 35s come closer out? What tire size would you suggest with this set up. With the front and rear differences in width would that be a big issue? i believe staggered setup in our cars causes understeer?

What do you mean by lip? Do you mean it just looks deeper but it isnt actaully more concave? Maybe i can try a Grid 9.5 rear with a 8.5 Grid R front. Will have to message some local suppliers to see pictures.

Many Thanks
Old 05-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Killerbee

Quote:
Thanks, i guess ill be going for the 9.5 rears and the 8.5 fronts. would the 38 or 35s come closer out? What tire size would you suggest with this set up. With the front and rear differences in width would that be a big issue? i believe staggered setup in our cars causes understeer?

What do you mean by lip? Do you mean it just looks deeper but it isnt actaully more concave? Maybe i can try a Grid 9.5 rear with a 8.5 Grid R front. Will have to message some local suppliers to see pictures.

Many Thanks
Sorry, english is not my native language, lip as in space between where the wheeloutside ends and the "6 spoke star" starts, as in this picture

http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/pop...8213a6cea5b560

Rear 9.5 +38 is about flush, depends if on springs or not, but more or less flush
Front 8.5 +38 is also about flush, again depends a bit on your setup if on springs or not. Worst case its about 2mm outside the fenders.

Tires I would go for 245/35/18 all around, or 225/40/18 front and 245/35/18 rear
Old 05-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
ikarntspel

Quote:
Sorry, english is not my native language, lip as in space between where the wheeloutside ends and the "6 spoke star" starts, as in this picture

http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/pop...8213a6cea5b560

Rear 9.5 +38 is about flush, depends if on springs or not, but more or less flush
Front 8.5 +38 is also about flush, again depends a bit on your setup if on springs or not. Worst case its about 2mm outside the fenders.

Tires I would go for 245/35/18 all around, or 225/40/18 front and 245/35/18 rear
Thats all good

I dont really mind it outside the fenders aslong as its not too much.

Is there much of a difference between going 245 all round compared to the 245 and 225?

Your helps been great, cheers
Old 06-01-2016, 04:36 AM   #8
Killerbee

Quote:
Thats all good

I dont really mind it outside the fenders aslong as its not too much.

Is there much of a difference between going 245 all round compared to the 245 and 225?

Your helps been great, cheers
Well, not really. If you go 245 all around you could swap the tires front/rear if needed. Also, 225 on 8.5" wheel has a litte strech, as does 245 on a 9.5" wheel. 245 on a 8.5 wheel however if pretty flush.
In the end its personal taste.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #9
ikarntspel

Quote:
Well, not really. If you go 245 all around you could swap the tires front/rear if needed. Also, 225 on 8.5" wheel has a litte strech, as does 245 on a 9.5" wheel. 245 on a 8.5 wheel however if pretty flush.
In the end its personal taste.
Your alot better at finding links that me, is there any pictures of the stretch of a 245 on a 9.5?

and would a 9 fit the front and does it have much concave to it??

thanks

Last edited by ikarntspel; 06-01-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #10
Killerbee

Quote:
Your alot better at finding links that me, is there any pictures of the stretch of a 245 on a 9.5?

and would a 9 fit the front and does it have much concave to it??

thanks
Here is a link with alot of pictures, always shows the tire and wheel sizes
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30586

some more stuff
http://www.wheeldude.com/wordpress/tag/gt86/page/2

They run sometimes 235 or 255, so take off 5mm from each to get 225 or 245 (235 is for 23.5cm wide, so lose 5mm on inside and outsite = 10mm, so you have a 225)

As far as I remember, the 18" wheels from rota with high concave design(the P45-R/P45-F aswell as the grid and Torque) only get the deep concave looks from 9.5" onwards.
However the 17" wheels from rota, same designs, have the concave setup from 9" onwards.

9" would fit in the front aswell, you could do a 17x9" (or 18x9") +35 with 245 tires all around. However its very tight, and also notice it will poke a bit, check this link. You notice it looks a bit "offroadish" when not lowered
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=75

Let me know if that helps or if you need more information.
Also please take my word as a "as far as I know", I havent activly looked at rotas for more than 3 years, so they may have changed some of their lineup in the meantime.

Last edited by Killerbee; 06-01-2016 at 07:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Killerbee For This Useful Post:
ikarntspel (06-07-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
BDKane01

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP MT
Killerbee is one helpful dude!
Killerbee (06-01-2016), stokeless (06-02-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
ikarntspel

Quote:
Here is a link with alot of pictures, always shows the tire and wheel sizes
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30586

some more stuff
http://www.wheeldude.com/wordpress/tag/gt86/page/2

They run sometimes 235 or 255, so take off 5mm from each to get 225 or 245 (235 is for 23.5mm wide, so lose 5mm on inside and outsite = 10mm, so you have a 225)

As far as I remember, the 18" wheels from rota with high concave design(the P45-R/P45-F aswell as the grid and Torque) only get the deep concave looks from 9.5" onwards.
However the 17" wheels from rota, same designs, have the concave setup from 9" onwards.

9" would fit in the front aswell, you could do a 17x9" (or 18x9") +35 with 245 tires all around. However its very tight, and also notice it will poke a bit, check this link. You notice it looks a bit "offroadish" when not lowered
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=75

Let me know if that helps or if you need more information.
Also please take my word as a "as far as I know", I havent activly looked at rotas for more than 3 years, so they may have changed some of their lineup in the meantime.
Thanks so much will let you know on what i progress on, so far definitely the 19x9.5 for the rears like u said and probs same tire size. just uncertain about the front, will keep looking

thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKane01 View Post
Killerbee is one helpful dude!
He bloody is
The Following User Says Thank You to ikarntspel For This Useful Post:
Killerbee (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #13
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you will keep looking .. maybe you can also consider not as wide wheels. Cheaper, less weight, will fit/no rub for sure without any gimmickry.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #14
Killerbee

Quote:
Thanks so much will let you know on what i progress on, so far definitely the 19x9.5 for the rears like u said and probs same tire size. just uncertain about the front, will keep looking

thanks again
You're welcome. And I hope you meant 18x9.5, as 19x9.5 would be quiet extreme ;-)

Also make sure to post pictures once you've got the new wheels on your car