follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2022, 10:34 AM   #15
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GR Corolla will be damn near impossible if you miss out on the initial allocation.
Low volume, likely markups and according to my dealer i asked about them they mentioned Toyota Canada wont allow them to take reservations so its a first come first serve situation with what limited amount of units we get allocated up here.

Ive seen more new WRX's than i actually thought i'd see (seen an orange, a blue and a black one) and they're not that bad looking in person, cladding and all. Still think they work best with darker colours since the cladding will always stand out (Im normally on the World Rally Blue bandwagon with Subaru's but Magnetite grey would be my choice on the new WRX). Doing a colour match actually starts making the wheels look too small. And from what ive read about the new WRXs they're far more refined and comfortable than past units, and the transmission and power delivery are much smoother, so they're more "livable" as dailies, and they still have that AWD rally-inspired fun to be had.

In terms of children:
-If you have 2 cars, one can be the fun one, and one can be family one (and you can have the family one being a fun one as well). We have an X1 and a 86 and its worked fine. Advantage of being short asian people is that the backseats in the 86 is actually usable (still tight but usable. front passenger seat was barely usable with the rear facer but my wife was able to fit. Now that my son is in a front facer the space is a nonissue. Space behind the driver is limited so a rear facer would not fit, a front facer likely can though and I can always adjust to make the rear seat legroom passable)
-Backseat space will be a question of how much. The new corolla hatch is actually quite tight back there. I used to have a scion iM which has i think roughly the same amount of space and its not the most spacious, the rear facing child seat almost touches the front seat at a decent seating position. Our X1 has far more space in the back. I think a WRX would have more space. Again being an asian of relatively short stature, the interior space of these cars arent issues like they would be for 6ft tall people.

Ever since i got my 86 i've been kind of gaining more interest in Subaru's than i had been before (likely the boxer engine connection lol). So WRX/STI was never on my radar before but have become options if i want to eventually switch to an AWD car (Living in Canada, i feel like having AWD for peace of mind). Im always seeing WRX's around (less so STI's), and from what i gather, with the previous gen you would get the WRX (and its FA20T) for the overall package, while the STI (EJ25) will be if you are leaning towards the hardcore performance side of things.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #16
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
prior to the brz i was driving a fwd hot hatch (volvo c30 r with a turbo 2.5). It was a fun car but after being in the brz for the last 5+ years i really enjoy RWD type dynamics a lot more than FWD. I know AWD cars like the WRX don't exactly handle like a RWD car, but much closer and much less understeery. theres just a lot more fun to be had when you're driving the rear wheels, at least for me.

rwd sedans were on the radar for me but other than an m340i or m3 (both out of my price range) nothing was really appealing to me in terms of having a light, dynamic sportscar type feel, and most options aren't really available with a stick anymore. to be honest with you my ideal next car would be something like an RX8 - a proper sports car with four doors. unfortunatley the RX8 isn't really a dailyable car at this point given age and reliability, but if they released an RX9 with suicide doors tomorrow i would be the first one at the dealership.
If there was a 4-door version of the GR86/BRZ that drove the same, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It'd be a modern Japanese e36 M3 sedan. Definitely a hole in the market currently. Honestly the 2+2 BRZ is not a bad compromise for how little I use the rear seats (have two kids who use them occasionally), but still not fun.

FWIW I used to own an STI hatch and it doesn't really feel RWD at all at the limit despite the rear-biased torque split, it's more like FWD plus.

I'd see if you can get an allocation for a GR Corolla. Probably the closest new car match for what you're looking for. Maybe consider a low mileage, good condition E36 M3 sedan if you can find one. Possibly a used Focus RS.
Agree RX-8 is probably out of the question for reliability reasons.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:44 AM   #17
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
All are sorta great options with caveats. Here's one more assho- I mean opinion for you to consider.

1. WRX: cheapest, easiest to get, practical/fantastic all around DD. I've had mine over 8 years and nothing came close to being a better value for me all this time (The new one is essentially 90% the same car.) It either comes with or can easily be modified to deliver all the performance you'll ever need, period.

Maybe hold out for next MY as there are rumblings of an emergency refresh to address the cladding, lawd have mercy.

2. GRC. I keep getting the feeling it will be surprisingly affordable (<$35k MSRP) though this will count for little due to scarcity and most dealers marking it up wildly. Otherwise, a great cross between the practicality, safety and functionality of the WRX and the emotional/performance excess of the STI. The main drawbacks for me so far are size and interior. The cockpit just doesn't seem like a special place to be. This is based on sitting in the current top trim hatch which appears largely identical. I'm sure the seats, gauge cluster and shifter will go a long way to make it feel better but.. TBD. The back seat is small, definitely limiting in terms of car seat options. WRX/STI are huge by comparison.

3. STI = cooler, relatively better looking VA car but entirely an emotional purchase over the WRX. Used, so mileage will vary widely as to what you pay for/get etc. You likely don't have to worry about previous abuse coming out to bite as it just ain't care.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
re-animator (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 05:29 PM   #18
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Owned a low mileage used 2011 WRX hatch from 2013 on, 5 speed, Cobb flash tuned and fast as heck off the line. A pillars rattled over bumps when temps dropped below-10C.Zero problems during ownership 1.5 years.
Then a 2015 WRX brand new, zero issues for 3 year lease except gas door sometimes wouldn't pop open, used a credit card to open in a pinch.
Then 2018 STI from Sept 2017 to present. Zero problems, mostly used as a winter daily. Zero mods except tints!

2012 FR-S only real problem leaky taillights, small oil drip on rear cam plate I myself corrected.

People will tell you every car out there is a total writeofff, don't buy this, don't buy that. I say look at vehicles on a case-by-case basis.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
PulsarBeeerz (09-23-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 10:33 AM   #19
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I have cheap ass Nissan versa just for hauling daughter to daycare and grocery getters, I save a lot on insurance and gas mileage. All money saved could go for car parts or anything related to car care (garage equipment or detailing)
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #20
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
I have cheap ass Nissan versa just for hauling daughter to daycare and grocery getters, I save a lot on insurance and gas mileage. All money saved could go for car parts or anything related to car care (garage equipment or detailing)
No body cares.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 12:09 PM   #21
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
No body cares.
Ok boom👍
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:16 PM   #22
RacingredGR86

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Having owned a 2018 STI and until recently contemplating between the new WRX vs new BRZ/ GR86, I would suggest skipping the STI and the WRX. Wait for the GR and don't fully write off the Type R.

STI: It's a jack of all trades car in that you can take it to the snow, carry 4 people, has adequate trunk space, with some minor mods (more front camber, rear swaybar) can be fund on the track/ autox. However, unless you spend $$$ on suspension such as better shocks/ coilovers, it will not handle as well on the track and autox as a bone stock BRZ/ GR86. Also the turbo lag is something that was cool maybe 15 years ago but is really the weakpoint of the EJ25 motor compare to more modern 4 cylinder turbo motors now available.

New WRX: I just can't get over the plastic cladding. I did almost pull the trigger and swapped my STI for a new WRX with the thought of buying a miata as a 2nd autox/ track car. After considering it more, aside from better gas mileage my STI looked better, was more capable, and I decided against it.

Corolla GR: based on specs and how the Yaris GR has been well received, this seems to be the car that the STI used to be; street car based on actual rally racing tech. If you can get one w/o markup, this is the one to get IMO.

Type R: although FWD, this car drives so well. I've driven my friend's Type R for extended period of time and it's the reason why I decided to part ways with my STI. I would suggest looking into this car more if you're looking for a car that has room, can be daily driven, but can also be a fund car for occasional autox and HPDE.
RacingredGR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:11 PM   #23
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Most people never take their car to the track. My STI is a very winter capable vehicle since I already have a summer car. Best of both worlds. No matter how you slice it, Type R is not the optimal snow car. And the Toyota will be fun for sure, but the STI is still an excellent package. Regards to turbo lag, with S# mode it's plenty responsive enough for me. Not quite as powerful feeling as my Cobb flashed 2011 M5 WRX hatch was, but that's due to having one less shift zero to 60. I have never felt the need to reflash or modify this STI in any way as a daily driver. That seems to be unusual for STI owners but most don't also have a heavily modified FR-S in the garage.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (09-24-2022)
Old 02-09-2023, 01:23 PM   #24
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
hey guys,

still looking and have thought about keeping the BRZ and just getting a dailyable SUV for family duty and some light off roading (probably something on the cheap like a 10+ year old volvo XC90 or 4runner with lots of miles).

another thing i am thinking about is an EVO X. similar vibes to the STI but obviously older and a little more raw and aggressive. Powertrain is thought to be a little more reliable. i thought these were in the $30k range but it looks like more and more fall in the low-20s or even higher teens for cosmetically rougher examples. It does seem like a car i'd be interested in from a driving dynamics perspective, but do you guys think it would be dailyable in 2023 and onward? Like I said, i live in a mild climate and do not put tons of miles on currently as i have a very short commute only a few days a week. Price is kind of alluring as its probably only going to cost a little more than what i can sell my BRZ for. yeah its an older car, but so is the car i am currently dailying i.e. my BRZ which is perfectly reliable and gives me no headaches.

doesn't look like a corolla GR is happening based on how impossible they seem to be to get. its also a little on the small side for me to drop that much money on a "do it all" car
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:42 PM   #25
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
hey guys,

still looking and have thought about keeping the BRZ and just getting a dailyable SUV for family duty and some light off roading (probably something on the cheap like a 10+ year old volvo XC90 or 4runner with lots of miles).

another thing i am thinking about is an EVO X. similar vibes to the STI but obviously older and a little more raw and aggressive. Powertrain is thought to be a little more reliable. i thought these were in the $30k range but it looks like more and more fall in the low-20s or even higher teens for cosmetically rougher examples. It does seem like a car i'd be interested in from a driving dynamics perspective, but do you guys think it would be dailyable in 2023 and onward? Like I said, i live in a mild climate and do not put tons of miles on currently as i have a very short commute only a few days a week. Price is kind of alluring as its probably only going to cost a little more than what i can sell my BRZ for. yeah its an older car, but so is the car i am currently dailying i.e. my BRZ which is perfectly reliable and gives me no headaches.

doesn't look like a corolla GR is happening based on how impossible they seem to be to get. its also a little on the small side for me to drop that much money on a "do it all" car
I have a bone stock Evo IX SE that I bought brand new 16 years ago. I know it’s not a X but it’s certainly less comfortable, and I have been daily driving mine and have never felt like it wasn’t “dailyable,” and I’ll be 40 this year. So I’d imagine a X would be even easier to live with. I’ve also looked at other cars through the years and test-driven them but never ended up getting another car.

You’d be fine with an Evo X — pretty reliable from what I remember (as I still read most threads on the Evo forums), as it’ll be more fun to drive than an STI but with a higher ceiling for modding if you’re into that and have plans to do it. Maintenance isn’t cheap but it’s never been anything I considered expensive either, even when I first got it and was in my early 20s with a crap job, but it’s more than fair, considering the performance you’re getting. Though the ones with the dual-clutch transmissions have even more expensive maintenance costs. I can’t remember if it’s part of the 15k or the 30k, but I remember it being another $150-200 on top of the same service interval for a non-DCT model. So that’s something to factor in… obviously not a life-changing amount of money, but it adds up.

Just to be fair, the interiors and amenities of the Evo were never great in any iteration (though the seats have always been awesome, except for the 2015 model which switched to some Lancer ones because the Recaros no longer met some safety requirement so they had to switch), so as long it doesn’t bother you, then you’ll enjoy the car overall.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeeezNuuuts83 For This Useful Post:
MrSkubi (02-15-2023), re-animator (03-01-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 02:02 PM   #26
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Honestly I would get something new/lightly used and conformable for Family use and keep BRZ/FRS if you have room. If not Type R or GR Corolla would be my 2 choices. I would stay away from STI's and EVO's. I went with a ford Ranger Crew cab. Plenty of Room for me, my wife and both of our small kids. FRS is no no-op and not smog legal. Its 100% a track toy now and is trailered to events.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:29 PM   #27
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
hey guys,

A Focus ST would be a good lower cost alternative to a GR. A Focus RS for similar prices to an Evo X if the ST isn't enough.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:34 PM   #28
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Honestly I would get something new/lightly used and conformable for Family use and keep BRZ/FRS if you have room. If not Type R or GR Corolla would be my 2 choices. I would stay away from STI's and EVO's. I went with a ford Ranger Crew cab. Plenty of Room for me, my wife and both of our small kids. FRS is no no-op and not smog legal. It’s 100% a track toy now and is trailered to events.
What makes you say you’d stay away from Evos and STIs? Just curious what your personal experiences are with them.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote