follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2022, 09:49 AM   #15
bucketfoot

Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've had my 86 since the end of March 2021, have worked remotely 100% of the time since buying it and still have less than 3.5K miles on it. Yet I run winter tires. So my opinion should be quite clear

If you can swing it, I would suggest putting them on their own set of wheels. You will save money in the long run versus paying twice a year to have the tires swapped over on the same wheels.
Old 12-25-2022, 07:40 AM   #16
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If one gets another set of wheels, advise to get smaller size for winter. Tires will cost less and extra sidewall size will help with bad roads. Used subbie 16" should be reasonably cheap & common.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:20 AM   #17
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As everyone else here has said, get some winter tires!

On my Sport Tech RS (AKA "Performance Pack" in the US) with the factory Brembo brakes, the smallest size wheel I can run are 17's, so I have my snows on the OEM Performance Pack 17x7.5" ET48 wheels and some lighter weight 17x8" ET35 wheels for the UHP all-seasons I run the rest of the year.

With my lowered ride height (about 30mm / 1.25" drop all around), I don't venture out when the snow is more than a couple of inches deep, so I don't really need the "pizza cutters" to get through the deep stuff. That made me settle on the same 225/45R17 size I run for my all seasons instead of the other option of 205/50R17's I was considering.

I ended up getting Michelin X-Ice Snow 225/45R17's, and have previously run Blizzak WS90's in the same size on my last car. Both were MILES better for starting / stopping traction than any all-season with snow or ice on the ground, and both feel pretty squishy (both tread and sidewalls) on bare pavement (wet or dry). The Blizzaks' sidewalls actually felt a *little* better than the Michelins in that regard, if I remember correctly, but again - it was on a different vehicle.

Between the winter tire traction, the overall balance of the car, and the traction / stability control systems helping keep things pointing the right direction, the car has been surprisingly capable in the snow / icy conditions as long as I drive with a little restraint.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:24 AM   #18
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I run Pirelli Sottozero III 225/45-17 on factory 17x7.5s. Maybe remove rear sway bar...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:31 PM   #19
AK2112

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelicaJoe View Post
Do you have an input on Blizzak ws90s? From my previous research they seemed to be overall a good winter tire that I couldn’t find much negative on. I definitely wouldn’t be driving in heavy snow conditions. And generally the only snow I’d be on would be my street as everything else would be plowed by the time I hit the road, with the exception of the occasional spots.
I have WS90s.

If it's real cold (under 30 degrees F) and or there's snow/ice on the ground, they're very good and you'll be glad you have them.

Any other scenario or conditions - they're not good.
AK2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 05:13 PM   #20
churchx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2112 View Post
I have WS90s.
If it's real cold (under 30 degrees F) and or there's snow/ice on the ground, they're very good and you'll be glad you have them.
Except in other conditions grip is plentiful and i'm willing to sacrifice some for sake every little extra i can net when it's scarce. Driving without hooning on well maintained clean tarmac roads still way within grip limits of real winter tires, but lacking grip on snow/ice is what may leave one stuck with need for assistance or not avoid accident in those "worst case scenarios".
.. Unless where one lives/drives winter has too little actual "winter in it".
Old 12-29-2022, 06:32 PM   #21
AK2112

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Except in other conditions grip is plentiful and i'm willing to sacrifice some for sake every little extra i can net when it's scarce. Driving without hooning on well maintained clean tarmac roads still way within grip limits of real winter tires, but lacking grip on snow/ice is what may leave one stuck with need for assistance or not avoid accident in those "worst case scenarios".
I know the pros and cons and I purchased them with those in mind.

I live outside Chicago which does get real winter. It was just -10 degrees last week. Today it was 60.

It cannot be overstated just how bad the braking is whenever it's not freezing cold outside. Not even panic braking- just driving in standard suburban traffic, it's noticeable just how much further you have to get into the brake pedal to make the car stop.

I'm considering taking a loss and going to 'performance winters' next season.
AK2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 04:47 AM   #22
churchx

Sounds weird. Never had any problems with braking/cornering/accelerating on clean public tarmac roads on nordic winter tires (even studded at that) with driving normally, within legal limits. Worse then on all season? Probably. But good enough with some safety margin left. But i had been stuck in deep snow in unplowed yard, i had my share of scare moments of 'almost' crashing or not stopping in time on ice when in past drove on crappy winter tires in my very first winter in twin (probably made more grave then in "normal cars" due it's RWD layout & light weight & maybe reliance of high grip in summer), so now choosing to maximize what i can for "worst case scenarios". But not suggesting this as right choice for everybody, especially for ones living in warmer climate places.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:54 AM   #23
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
I have WS90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I felt the same way about my Bridgestone WS80s. Very good in the snow. Very bad the rest of the time.

I like my General Altimax Arctics a lot more in non-snowy less-cold conditions. They still suck but it's not "holy crap this is bad" levels of suck. They are still good in the snow...though hard to compare directly since I haven't seen the same conditions I put the Blizzaks through.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 09:52 PM   #24
RACECAR go brrr!
Custom Switch Panels!

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Quote:
I know the pros and cons and I purchased them with those in mind.

I live outside Chicago which does get real winter. It was just -10 degrees last week. Today it was 60.

It cannot be overstated just how bad the braking is whenever it's not freezing cold outside. Not even panic braking- just driving in standard suburban traffic, it's noticeable just how much further you have to get into the brake pedal to make the car stop.

I'm considering taking a loss and going to 'performance winters' next season.
Chicagoan here who has daily driven his car through 8 Chicago winters (including going out in pretty much every storm) and even goes ice racing up in Wisconsin.

You aren't wrong, BUT I look at it slightly differently. Yes, true studless winter tires suck when it's warm, and aren't THAT great on dry pavement... but they are so much better than anything else in snow and ice that I still think they're worthwhile. THOSE are the times when you want maximum traction, not only for yourself, but to avoid all the other idiots on the road. It's easier enough to adapt on the random warm days an increase following distance (because as you said, panic braking on studless winters on a 60 degree day is an exercise in futility), but what I refuse to sacrifice is the added traction when I hit a patch of ice on the road, or when I need to swerve around some idiot sliding into my lane in the snow.

I used General Altimax Arctics for basically 7 of those 8 winters, but last winter I decided to try something a bit higher-tier (also because the Generals aren't that much less than the class-leading tires anymore) so I went with the Continental VikingContact7, which was trading blows with the Blizzaks and the Hakkepeliittas.
Attached Images

Order your own custom Toyobaru switch panel at www.racecargobrrr.com!
RACECAR go brrr! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RACECAR go brrr! For This Useful Post:
churchx (01-04-2023), Racecomp Engineering (01-06-2023), SCFD (01-03-2023), Tatsu333 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 01:32 PM   #25
fryfun

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ DGM Limited
This is my 3rd season on the Michelin X-ICE 245/45/17. They've been great under Chicago and South Bend snowy conditions.

Only time that I lost traction was a few weeks ago, we had a freezing rain/sleet condition followed by a snow storm. I didn't pay attention and thought it was fresh snow. Then my rear lost traction a bit after moderately accelerating from a stop sign, and the car's rear end kicked out to the opposite lane. Luckily my front tires still had grip and the speed was low. The tires saved me from spinning or going into the woods.

Remember, putting winter tires on doesn't mean you can drive the car like you can during summer. Slow acceleration and paying attention to the road conditions are important as well .
fryfun is offline   Reply With Quote