follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2019, 12:38 AM   #15
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Damn hot rod! - I got the picture -

humfrz
I wish I was hot roding, then I would have a valid reason why the traction light came on.

All I did was take three corners at 10 mph over the limit on the same road I take to work. Nothing fancy not some back road windy road, just a run of the mill normal two lane corners.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:01 AM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
I wish I was hot roding, then I would have a valid reason why the traction light came on.

All I did was take three corners at 10 mph over the limit on the same road I take to work. Nothing fancy not some back road windy road, just a run of the mill normal two lane corners.
Ah, I think that these cars just hiccup from time to time.

Too damn many sensors!

As you know back-in-the day, if the oil pressure gauge went to "0", the engine would blow a rod and it stopped; if the temperature gauge went to "HOT", the radiator blew off steam and the car stopped. If you had a tire blow out, the car tried to run off the road and you stopped.

If none of those things happened, you just kept driving -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #17
Cynalitl

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Checking it out at the Toyota dealership today and will share any insights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cynalitl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cynalitl For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-10-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #18
Djphamtom

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (base)
I'm curious if this is common after the recall. I had mine fixed by the dealership on January 22. Just this morning, I have the same issue with you guys: check engine light and traction control light. I did nothing but to start my car up. The next I thing I know, I drove off a few feet and it showed up. Went to O' Reilly and they diagnosed it as P1449 (Evaporative emission system lid open switch stuck on). Love it if you guys can help
Djphamtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djphamtom View Post
I'm curious if this is common after the recall. I had mine fixed by the dealership on January 22. Just this morning, I have the same issue with you guys: check engine light and traction control light. I did nothing but to start my car up. The next I thing I know, I drove off a few feet and it showed up. Went to O' Reilly and they diagnosed it as P1449 (Evaporative emission system lid open switch stuck on). Love it if you guys can help
Check you gas cap before digging too deep. It could be that easy.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #20
Djphamtom

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (base)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Check you gas cap before digging too deep. It could be that easy.
Yep, I sure did checked my gas cap. That wasn't the problem. I'm pretty sure I'll have to dig deeper now that I realize most people are experiencing this issue since it came out. Also, Toyota found out my history of my car. Little did I know, the previous owner had my car fixed at around 14k. It's now 46k.

Anyways, I'm sure I'm going off topic here.
Djphamtom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Djphamtom For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-19-2019)
Old 02-25-2020, 03:56 PM   #21
Clutching

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota 86
Arrow Scion FR-S Check engine and Tire Slip Indicator Warning Light Issue

TO FIX THIS ISSUE

ALL I HAVE TO DO IS...

1.) Ensure the cars' ignition is completely off and/or the key both keyless and access key is 10 or more feet away from the vehicle or completely removed from the vehicle(do not carry the key in your pocket during the entirety of the process).

2.) Open the hood using the hood release button located under the steering to the left by the driver's side door.

-- Then remove the positive terminal port FROM the battery (located in the engine bayon the left; attached to the battery's positive terminal under the hood).

3.) This is removed and left detached for about 10-30 minutes.

4.) After the positive terminal on the battery is left disconnected for 10-30 minutes (WITHOUT THE TERMINALS' CABLE TOUCHING ANYTHING CONDUCTIVE), it is then re-attached.

-- This should be done on a cold engine to allow for REMOVING ANY 'RESIDUAL CHARGE'(Residual meaning any electrical charge still left/active within the car and any other electrical systems).This disconnection ensures there is 0 conduction or electric flow through the car and WILL ALSO reset the cars' CHECK ENGINE light and TIRE SLIP INDICATOR Light.(If this doesn't reset AND fix the cars' issue repeat steps 2.) Through 4.) For longer than 30 minutes).

5.) Retrieve the vehicles key and use the keyless access remote or use the ignition key to ignite the engine and check if the lights have gone off in your vehicle.

-- If done correctly this WIlL fix your cars' issue and reset the car so that both the tire slip indicator light and check engine lights are off when starting your vehicle. This will also enable all of it's interior functions such as it's CRUISE CONTROL, VSC SPORT BUTTON AND TRACTION CONTROL. Guaranteed!

-- If this problem remains try again BY REMOVING BOTH TERMINALS' FROM THE BATTERY(POSITIVE/NEGATIVE) and repeat steps this way.

If this problem persists then turn on the car by ignition and activate all buttons, Cruise control on, VSC sport mode and Trac control button on also. Then turn off engine and repeat the steps.
-- These steps should also fix the same problem with the Subaru BRZ!

All of these steps have fixed my Scion FR-S. I also owned a Subaru BRZ before and I am familiar with both vehicles.

Last edited by Clutching; 02-25-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Clutching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:58 AM   #22
NZtoyotaGT86

Drives: Orange GT86
Check engine light stays on and VSC light

I had the Check engine and VSC lights come on a couple days ago. Went to the Toyota Dealer and they ran the codes which pointed to the battery. They tested the battery and it was knackered. Got a new battery and it's been going good as gold since
NZtoyotaGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:35 PM   #23
samatthews75

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutching View Post
TO FIX THIS ISSUE

ALL I HAVE TO DO IS...

1.) Ensure the cars' ignition is completely off and/or the key both keyless and access key is 10 or more feet away from the vehicle or completely removed from the vehicle(do not carry the key in your pocket during the entirety of the process).

2.) Open the hood using the hood release button located under the steering to the left by the driver's side door.

-- Then remove the positive terminal port FROM the battery (located in the engine bayon the left; attached to the battery's positive terminal under the hood).

3.) This is removed and left detached for about 10-30 minutes.

4.) After the positive terminal on the battery is left disconnected for 10-30 minutes (WITHOUT THE TERMINALS' CABLE TOUCHING ANYTHING CONDUCTIVE), it is then re-attached.

-- This should be done on a cold engine to allow for REMOVING ANY 'RESIDUAL CHARGE'(Residual meaning any electrical charge still left/active within the car and any other electrical systems).This disconnection ensures there is 0 conduction or electric flow through the car and WILL ALSO reset the cars' CHECK ENGINE light and TIRE SLIP INDICATOR Light.(If this doesn't reset AND fix the cars' issue repeat steps 2.) Through 4.) For longer than 30 minutes).

5.) Retrieve the vehicles key and use the keyless access remote or use the ignition key to ignite the engine and check if the lights have gone off in your vehicle.

-- If done correctly this WIlL fix your cars' issue and reset the car so that both the tire slip indicator light and check engine lights are off when starting your vehicle. This will also enable all of it's interior functions such as it's CRUISE CONTROL, VSC SPORT BUTTON AND TRACTION CONTROL. Guaranteed!

-- If this problem remains try again BY REMOVING BOTH TERMINALS' FROM THE BATTERY(POSITIVE/NEGATIVE) and repeat steps this way.

If this problem persists then turn on the car by ignition and activate all buttons, Cruise control on, VSC sport mode and Trac control button on also. Then turn off engine and repeat the steps.
-- These steps should also fix the same problem with the Subaru BRZ!

All of these steps have fixed my Scion FR-S. I also owned a Subaru BRZ before and I am familiar with both vehicles.
Did this. Fixed an oil issue. Lights were off, now back on. Any info appreciated

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
samatthews75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:46 PM   #24
Lp86

Drives: 2013 frs
Has anyone found what is causing this? ive taken my car to the dealership 4 times, everytime they say they fix the problem, and after driving my car for 20-30 mins both lights come back on. ive sent about $100-$400 each trip to the dealer and at this point im about to sell the car as is with the lights on. Had nothing but problems with this car since i bought it, but this one just seems to be persistent and unfixable. ive done everything the thread says and nothing has worked.
Lp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:49 PM   #25
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
What codes are you getting. Do you know the history of the car?
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:00 PM   #26
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp86 View Post
Has anyone found what is causing this? ive taken my car to the dealership 4 times, everytime they say they fix the problem, and after driving my car for 20-30 mins both lights come back on. ive sent about $100-$400 each trip to the dealer and at this point im about to sell the car as is with the lights on. Had nothing but problems with this car since i bought it, but this one just seems to be persistent and unfixable. ive done everything the thread says and nothing has worked.
What was causing what? The original poster's P000A? the other guy's transmission issue?The third guy's EVAP code? This thread is all over the place and the 4th guy writing a dissertation on how to unplug the battery to "fix" things isn't helping.

Be as precise and as concise as you can be with your issues. Any given light being on isn't a clue. Codes people, we need codes, and many times, not just PCM codes.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (06-03-2023)