follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #127
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
It confuses me a little too, here in Australia we have the option of the GT86 or the BRZ. The BRZ is a single package with optional extras, and comes in a 37k Aus.

The 86 on the other hand has 2 packages, the GT, and the GTS.

For AT prices, the GT comes in at about 33k Drive away, and the GTS comes in at 42 Drive away.

GTS86 (What I purchased) comes with push button, LSD, DRLs, Heated seats, climate control, higher grade wheels (better rated rubber + 17 Inch rims) and a 4 vented disc break package, Xenon head light package, Premium Trims, Alcantara perferated leather seats and touch screen SatNav.

The LSD and break package alone easily make up the price difference, and it looks to me like the FRS is basically the same as the baseline GT model over here (Keeping in mind all manual models here, GT and GTS come with LSD, where as the GT AT does not, for some reason.)

I really saw no sense in going for the base line GT unless you were using it for a track car or couldn't afford the extra, the LSD and break package alone make the extra cash worth it. Say it was just luxury items, and not preformance changing parts, I would be inclined to say the GT would be fine.

But I can't see the sense in selling one kind of FR-S in the states, It seems like you guys have them coming out your ears, so maybe toyota are trying to make as much profit with a small margin of error?

At the moment in AUS you're looking at a 4 month+ waiting period on an order, there is no such thing as a 86 sitting in a car lot waiting for an owner at the moment. I kind of do feel sorry for you guys not having that option to upgrade though, seems weird.
One thing you may notice about cars in the US is that we don't have the variety of cars and the seemingly unlimited choices of how to spec them. Also the number of engine choices are not as varied. This probably good in that it holds down costs and increases speed of delivery. You mentioned a 4 month waiting list while at my dealer in a small town in California there are 2 waiting to be sold. Different markets to be sure. Wish we had some of your Holden's here!

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #128
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
Reminds me of when I was a kid back in the 40's. I remember hearing men talking about their cars and the mileage they were getting. In those days if you were doing better than 10 mpg you had bragging rights.
Gas prices were a non issue back then and there was plenty of gas. I remember being able to fill up my 71 VW for $3.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #129
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
Gas prices were a non issue back then and there was plenty of gas. I remember being able to fill up my 71 VW for $3.
LOL. The guy that tells the first fish story hasn't got a chance. When I worked at my grandfathers gas station you could have done it for around $2. But then again, back then nobody ever heard of VW.

As a follow up, in later years I had three different VWs and I loved those things.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
russv (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #130
boead

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
LOL. The guy that tells the first fish story hasn't got a chance. When I worked at my grandfathers gas station you could have done it for around $2. But then again, back then nobody ever heard of VW.

As a follow up, in later years I had three different VWs and I loved those things.
Yeah, even during the Clinton years gas was 99 cents a gallon! Now its $4!!
boead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #131
zaptorque

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldolera View Post
I'm 16 and I agree about most of these things.
Manual HVAC works just as good. If you're cold turn the heat up, if you're hot in the winter turn it down and in the summer you can use the AC, no AC roll down the windows for a breeze.
HOLY CRAP.

.....never thought of it that way.
zaptorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #132
blackraven1425

Drives: raven at
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I actually like manual A/C systems better. I frequently turn the AC off and the heat all the way down for air that's about the outside temp.
blackraven1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #133
bdub85

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven1425 View Post
I actually like manual A/C systems better. I frequently turn the AC off and the heat all the way down for air that's about the outside temp.
I agree. I don't like the auto hvac systems in cars.
bdub85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #134
K2
First 8600

Drives: Darth Raven
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of frozen antifreeze, push the car to the filling station, wait in line for three weeks for a thimble of 6 octane petrol, pay the shop owner for permission to come to work, work twenty-nine hours a day welding Edsel bodies to Willys chassis, and when we got home, our Dad would run us over with the Commodore Club Coupe, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

But you try and tell the young people today that and they won't believe ya'.
K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to K2 For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #135
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'll go ahead and add cars to my list of things that don't need to be "smart" said list already containing cell phones, tvs, and dvd players. I don't need an infotainment system in my car or steering wheel controls. I love the minimalism in the FR-S, and even though I'd love a higher end car eventually, I'm actually dreading upgrading to higher tech features. I really don't want them.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #136
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Maybe I'm getting old but this electronic steering is a b*tch to get used to, just give me a manual steering rack so I can feel the road. That's really my one an only complaint, well that and I really think the redline could be 8.5k but the warranty bean counters/actuarians set it lower than to cover their assses. I'd mention the tires but I'll wear them out soon enough and replace with real rubber.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #137
HotLava

Drives: Hot Lava 2013 FR-S Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2 View Post
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of frozen antifreeze, push the car to the filling station, wait in line for three weeks for a thimble of 6 octane petrol, pay the shop owner for permission to come to work, work twenty-nine hours a day welding Edsel bodies to Willys chassis, and when we got home, our Dad would run us over with the Commodore Club Coupe, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

But you try and tell the young people today that and they won't believe ya'.
It's not just cars. I've got a couple of teenage cousins who don't know how to reinstall the operating system on their PC or Mac and really don't know how computers work. Jeez. Take away their smartphone and they are stranded because they never bothered to memorize the phone numbers of their friends. Now that's a laugh!
HotLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #138
Dan-in-Japan

Drives: Nissan Skyline R33
i hate all the tech in cars today
Dan-in-Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan-in-Japan For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (03-05-2013), civicdrivr (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #139
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
AMEN OP!! One of the MAIN reasons I purchased the car. Lack of technology and a warranty!
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (03-05-2013), PNW FRS (02-23-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #140
Nick26

Drives: Vs Commodore (86 GTS on order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
\Wish we had some of your Holden's here!
Haha, man, I drive those day in day out, they're nothing too special, infact the 86 tied with the top of the line V8 sports holden on top gears track trial, mainly because they're heavy, corner like a brick and are very tail happy haha. I'm driving a 3.8L V6 Holden right now, its fun, has some grunt, but the fuel man, I go through probably 12L/100kms, looking forward to a 4cyl so much.
Nick26 is offline   Reply With Quote