follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hydraulic ebrake with stock interior?

Was wondering if anyone knows of a hydraulic ebrake that could be mounted without ripping up the stock interior pieces to much?

I'd like to put an awesome handle in my car for drift days, however looking at them I can't seem to think of a way t omount one that would not involve heavily cutting up the center console.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I did some looking around but all of the ones i see are in stripped cars.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My idea would be to not buy hydraulic ebrake, but use stock ebrake, with maybe just changing it's button to 'drift-button' (and removing mini spring behind it). Stock ebrake placement seems well fitting for such uses
If you really need parking brake a lot for frequent drifts/making up professional & drift car .. aren't they mostly with stripped to bare metal interior anyway?
If car is mostly daily driven one you ocasionally try to drift for fun .. i somehow noticed that in most cases i used accelwork/clutch hits/swinging car with inertia instead of ebrake pull, hence i put spring behind button back).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
My idea would be to not buy hydraulic ebrake, but use stock ebrake, with maybe just changing it's button to 'drift-button' (and removing mini spring behind it). Stock ebrake placement seems well fitting for such uses
If you really need parking brake a lot for frequent drifts/making up professional & drift car .. aren't they mostly with stripped to bare metal interior anyway?
If car is mostly daily driven one you ocasionally try to drift for fun .. i somehow noticed that in most cases i used accelwork/clutch hits/swinging car with inertia instead of ebrake pull, hence i put spring behind button back).
I currently use the stock ebrake with a drift button. Its not the "occasional try to drift" I'll be doing my 5th event. Not looking to have a stripped down drift car just yet. I've seen a few ideas on other platforms how people integrate a hydraulic ebrake without gutting their interior, however something like the center console on a 350Z is much different than ours.

I'm okay with the fluid resivoir being visible too, just don't want to tear everything up and have it look like shit.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
churchx

I wonder if painting black over metallic grey some generic aftermarket hydraulic ebrakes can enhance overall looks if fitted within stock interior. After this idea i'm out of them, as never had one, don't know all the possible handle form kinds and their looks design wise to choose from, just some thinking upon googled up pics. Oh .. except also fitting mentioned cylinder below/behind also installed center handrest, that closes hole in middle console.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Shady195

Think I found my solution although it will make for a bit of work.

Powered by max had pictures of this install on their facebook and its exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. However with my 10 series it will require a bit more work to relocate the start button.

There was another member on here who redid his center console and placed the start button in the useless little tray for those of us without heated seats, which I think is what I will be doing as I want to wrap my center console in alcantara anyways. Won't be doing this soon but plan to do it for next year.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
2014scionfrs (01-26-2016), 6-Shift (12-06-2016), ChrisD (12-22-2015), Kris86 (07-04-2016)
Old 07-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
churchx

Hmm, it indeed doesn't look out of place (except maybe why a heck stock handbrake is still there? ). Slightly harder to reach controls for AC & headunit (and probably can be fixed by bending handle as needed), but that is probably something you'll be willing to give up, if you prioritise drift usage above minor comfort things for daily driving.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've just ordered a hydro handbrake for my 86 and looking to do the same as you - install it without completely wrecking the interior if possible. Just wondered if you ever got yours installed and if so have any pics (and suggestions/tips) ?
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
I've just ordered a hydro handbrake for my 86 and looking to do the same as you - install it without completely wrecking the interior if possible. Just wondered if you ever got yours installed and if so have any pics (and suggestions/tips) ?
I have not. If you go on Powered By Max's facebook, there are some pictures of their install.

Unfortunately having a 10 Series it would be harder for me. I would need to relocated the Start button.

While I would love to have that clean super cool drift daily build like I was planning, it may come down to buying something else to tear up and not give two fucks about.

My other option is possibly selling my 10 series and then buying a higher mileage less exspensive '13 that some 16 year old beat the piss out of to do it with.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
Think I found my solution although it will make for a bit of work.

Powered by max had pictures of this install on their facebook and its exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. However with my 10 series it will require a bit more work to relocate the start button.

There was another member on here who redid his center console and placed the start button in the useless little tray for those of us without heated seats, which I think is what I will be doing as I want to wrap my center console in alcantara anyways. Won't be doing this soon but plan to do it for next year.
is it (the push start) on the other side (of the pocket) in the JDM cars?? that might work for you?
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #10
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
is it (the push start) on the other side (of the pocket) in the JDM cars?? that might work for you?
Not sure Honestly.

If I do end up doing it. I will be taking some tips from another members project and wrapping my center console in alcantera, and in doing so move the start button to the useless indent in the center console.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #11
ChrisD

Quote:
I have not. If you go on Powered By Max's facebook, there are some pictures of their install.

Unfortunately having a 10 Series it would be harder for me. I would need to relocated the Start button.

No worries, we ended up just cutting the plastics on the transmission tunnel slightly to fit it in. Pics below

AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
Old 01-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #12
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not sure Honestly.

If I do end up doing it. I will be taking some tips from another members project and wrapping my center console in alcantera, and in doing so move the start button to the useless indent in the center console.
Look at the photo above haha! get a starter trim bit like his, much easier as it is on the other side!
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #13
ChrisD

The start/stop button did get in the way slightly, but it wasn't really an issue. The only time it would be an issue is if you wanted to mount it really far forward so that the seat has a bit more clearance before it touches the master cylinder, but I'm not very tall and have my seat quite far forward and there's just enough clearance there.

The problem now is getting the hydraulic lines and calipers set up in a way that means I can keep ABS, keep a cable operated hand brake (not legal on the road here without one), and have the hydraulic hand brake working. Current plan is to use the rear brake caliper off a VW Golf that has both hydraulic line and cable operation built in to one caliper. This is because all of the mounting solutions I've seen for extra calipers require you to get rid of the stock parking brake drum system, so we need an alternative for the cable brake but also an extra caliper for the hydro hand brake to operate on without touching the normal rear brakes.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:22 AM   #14
secret.squirrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
The start/stop button did get in the way slightly, but it wasn't really an issue. The only time it would be an issue is if you wanted to mount it really far forward so that the seat has a bit more clearance before it touches the master cylinder, but I'm not very tall and have my seat quite far forward and there's just enough clearance there.

The problem now is getting the hydraulic lines and calipers set up in a way that means I can keep ABS, keep a cable operated hand brake (not legal on the road here without one), and have the hydraulic hand brake working. Current plan is to use the rear brake caliper off a VW Golf that has both hydraulic line and cable operation built in to one caliper. This is because all of the mounting solutions I've seen for extra calipers require you to get rid of the stock parking brake drum system, so we need an alternative for the cable brake but also an extra caliper for the hydro hand brake to operate on without touching the normal rear brakes.
I did see your video on this while googling about for a hydro install. A dual cylinder setup would work beautifully, but I don't know how much space there is to install that. Maybe slightly behind the dash, relocating the start button somewhere and having the handle come through the trim there as shown in one of the pics above? How much space was there around the dash area when you had it stripped out?
secret.squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote