follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2023, 02:17 AM   #43
drivejumpfly

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not sure who is telling people to not drive an Evo or an STi. They are crazy. Yes they are not the smoothest daily drivers if your roads aren't smooth, but for their time the Evo 8 was the most fun daily driver I have ever owned. My daily was slightly modded - tbe and tuned. I came from a turbo swapped, tbe, + other mods, nitrous WRX. I also raced a stock 06 Evo MR a few times at the track. The GR Corolla is the first turbo AWD car I have been truly interested in since I sold my Evo. Was very close to buying a 2020 STi in 2020, but didn't and am glad I didn't. The problem is the price you will pay for an Evo 8/9 or X these days is as much as a GRC so if I were still in the market for a car I would probably go for a GRC because it is so much easier to maintain a newer car. But, does the GRC have the old school mechanical feel that the Evo 8/9s do, I doubt it, but I have also never driven a GRC.

The problem with the GRC is the markups. If you can get one at MSRP then do it. But with $10K markups, for a very little more there are so many other used cars that are better. I am out of the CTR. Turbo FWD cars are worthless to me. Give me an AWD or a RWD.

Also, if you want a better riding family car don't overlook the 2022 WRX. Paint the black bumpers etc, get a Cobb Accessport and wait for their tbe setup and you will be good to go for a fun daily driver for the family if you need an AWD car for your weather.
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:54 PM   #44
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Also, the transmission is bulletproof and the centre adjustment is unique, though I don't use it personally.
The DCCD was an interesting concept but seemed like more of a gimmick due to it having SIX settings, and even more so when they switched its range from 35/65-50/50 to 41/59-50/50. It seemed redundant already to have six settings to cover a 15% span, let alone 9%. Perhaps three would've been more sensible. Obviously there's no harm in more, but it just seemed unnecessary.

I've never owned an STI, but it was a car I was contemplating early on, though I've driven several of them throughout the years and one of my closest friends in college had a black 2004 STI that I personally had probably 200 miles of seat time in. Definitely a great all-around car in every iteration.

Quote:
As a gauge, how much do you like it in stock form? If it needs a tons of changes up front, don't buy it. Try to find a car.that you already like everything about as-is, stock. There, I went and said it.
I couldn't agree more. And it's a big reason of why years ago I was contemplating a WRX/STI/Evo, and exactly why I still have mine today.

I've always been into cars, and when I got my first car -- a 1995 Honda Accord EX coupe, purchased used with 104k miles -- I got bit by the modding bug pretty quick. I was fortunate to have a car, but when other kids came from families with a decent amount of disposable income for a middle-class city and some had new Mustang Cobras, Eclipse GSXs, 300ZXs, Integra GS-Rs, etc. in the late '90s, naturally as a teenager I wanted to do try to get on their level. I spent money on the usual intake and exhaust that was pretty common for everyone at that time along with suspension (first going with some cheap Tenzo-R springs and then eventually switching to a Skunk2 coilover kit) and then some crap that was more aesthetic than anything (carbon fiber hood, clear turn signal housings and clear tail lights, since I didn't want the Altezzas that everyone had).

It was fun, but in the end was a huge waste of money (and I spent many nights working at a local Chinese restaurant owned by my neighbor paying for all that stuff) and more of a headache. Passing smog became a chore, and of course I would get pulled over for a variety of reasons and had to make a few visits to various stations to get fix-it tickets signed off.

I remember telling a friend of mine (who was int cars but didn't care about modding them, as he had an Integra that he bought at an auction and refurbished it since it was missing a lot of stuff but he was into that kind of thing) that I wanted to get an H22A motor from a Prelude and swap it into my car since it would fit without any modifications, and that friend would say, "At that point, you might as well buy a new car -- doing all that doesn't make sense to me." He was right.

So in college, I knew that I wanted something that I didn't have to mod (but could, if I wanted to). I went through a lot of cars -- the RSX Type-S came out during my freshman year (but I had seen news already of the Type-R and was waiting for that one, which never came), then thought about the bugeye WRX when those came out (but was more than what I could probably afford as a student), then drove a bunch of other random cars throughout the years that were a bit cheaper (like the Mazdaspeed Protege and the Dodge SRT-4) but again never pulled the trigger.

When it was actually time, at first I REALLY wanted a base 2005 WRX in CGM (Crystal Grey Metallic) but no options (as I hated the spoiler that came on WRXs) but graduated in 2006 and couldn't find any new 2005s at that point within a reasonable distance. I ruled out the 2006s since I didn't like the hawkeye look at all (and especially hated its taillights) but then realized that an Evo IX was going to be doable, especially with the below-invoice pricing that a few dealerships in my area were offering.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 08:28 PM   #45
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
I say RUN away from an RS. Wife's dealership sold four over the three years they made them and all had major problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I don't think I am digging any hole. Everyone has an opinion and are entitled to it.
The RS has had a ton of engine failures early on, like catastrophic rod ejecto. It really ruined their reputation early. Not saying Evo's or Subi's don't have their issues when beat too, but for a fairly modern car it would be a no go for me.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:39 PM   #46
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I sat in a 2023 WRX today at the Toronto Auto Show and I can say hands down the interior, huge centre touch screen and REALLY comfy new seats were impressive. It was the fully loaded GT model with electric parking brake and CVT. The interior coddles you a lot more than my 2018 STI by initial feel. It's funny, when I sat in it, a guy standing there said to me, " It fits you," and I think he's right. Maybe because I'm the height of an average Japanese male (5'7")? Or maybe because I'm used to getting in and out of a car of those proportions. Such a shame it hasn't been selling. Can't imagine what people buy new as a substitute in the price range.
I have a proposal for Subaru. If the STI gas is gone forever, offer an upmarket WRX with the LSDs and Brembos to fill the gap. That way it can still be considered a sports car if equipped. They can make it a tS model.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-21-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM   #47
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
I have a proposal for Subaru. If the STI gas is gone forever, offer an upmarket WRX with the LSDs and Brembos to fill the gap. That way it can still be considered a sports car if equipped. They can make it a tS model.
At that point, wouldn't that basically be an STI, just without the EJ257? The FA24F might be down around 30 hp and 30 lb-ft in comparison, but it's a way newer engine that still has around 90% of the output but with a much flatter torque curve (just like the FA20F did). It may not have STI power, but it's not far off, and I feel like the other bits are more definitive of an STI. Plus it's a lot easier to make up for the hp/torque gap in aftermarket upgrades than it would be for the other stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeeezNuuuts83 For This Useful Post:
wbradley (02-27-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 11:13 AM   #48
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I sat in a 2023 WRX today at the Toronto Auto Show and I can say hands down the interior, huge centre touch screen and REALLY comfy new seats were impressive. It was the fully loaded GT model with electric parking brake and CVT. The interior coddles you a lot more than my 2018 STI by initial feel. It's funny, when I sat in it, a guy standing there said to me, " It fits you," and I think he's right. Maybe because I'm the height of an average Japanese male (5'7")? Or maybe because I'm used to getting in and out of a car of those proportions. Such a shame it hasn't been selling. Can't imagine what people buy new as a substitute in the price range.
Not sure what that loaded GT sells for in CA but for how much stickers for down here, there are A LOT of things you might rather have for the $$

Quote:
The real key for the WRX is the gearbox. The transmission it uses has never been spec'd with more than 258lb-ft toque. VA, VB WRX's and some diesels in Europe that use it all have had exactly 258lb-ft peak torque. So #1, give it the STI gearbox, unlock a factory power bump for all models at the very least. That alone would be a huge bang for the buck selling point.

Then yeah, have a $4-$5k performance package on top of that. Brakes, diffs, maybe different spring rates etc. That could get out of hand quick but I agree, there is a lot of potential there to rake in the bucks and also make the car appealing enough to actually consider.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
wbradley (02-27-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 12:37 PM   #49
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
The real key for the WRX is the gearbox. The transmission it uses has never been spec'd with more than 258lb-ft toque. VA, VB WRX's and some diesels in Europe that use it all have had exactly 258lb-ft peak torque. So #1, give it the STI gearbox, unlock a factory power bump for all models at the very least. That alone would be a huge bang for the buck selling point.
Has the transmission had any significant number of cases of failure? I honestly don’t know.

But that aside, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the WRX has a glass transmission that can’t handle more. That same figure being used across the board and also having that peak across such a broad range is the result of Subaru (de)tuning it that way deliberately. I doubt that the transmission is going to shatter from bumping it up from that, but perhaps Subaru wanted to artificially keep it at that to give the STI a comfortable lead to maintain its status as their performance flagship. Plus it’s just the figure that they use — I remember when the FA20F first came out, some publication dyno’d it (in the WRX) along with that generation STI, and their torque at the wheels was much closer than the claimed figures would indicate.

I think torque hasn’t been much of a concern in turbocharged four-cylinders probably in 20 years, so it’s not that much of a marketing strategy to try to blow people away with musclecar torque figures anymore. They just need a good figure and a reasonably flat curve, plus the marketing will revolve more around hp anyway.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:18 PM   #50
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,405 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
< snip >
Downside: I'm averaging 12L/100km. My 2015 WRX averaged 9.9 L/100 km
Also, it requires 91 fuel. I'd say it's a pretty heavy gas burner using over double what my wife's Prius used to burn with regular fuel at around 5.6 L/100 km. < snip >
We average around 9.5 L/100 klm's in the wife's 2016 STi. Trick is, keep it "I" drive as much as possible. Only use "Sport" or "Sport +" when needed. Things like pulling out to pass or entering a 400 series highway. Most importantly, be gentle when using the accelerator. Do not stomp on it!

If I go for a "fun run" in her car I'll fill it with Petro Canada 94 first. I know it'll be an expensive drive but I know it'll be worth it. I'm glad she has kept it for this reason.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
wbradley (02-27-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 01:52 PM   #51
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Has the transmission had any significant number of cases of failure? I honestly don’t know.

But that aside, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the WRX has a glass transmission that can’t handle more. That same figure being used across the board and also having that peak across such a broad range is the result of Subaru (de)tuning it that way deliberately. I doubt that the transmission is going to shatter from bumping it up from that, but perhaps Subaru wanted to artificially keep it at that to give the STI a comfortable lead to maintain its status as their performance flagship. Plus it’s just the figure that they use — I remember when the FA20F first came out, some publication dyno’d it (in the WRX) along with that generation STI, and their torque at the wheels was much closer than the claimed figures would indicate.

I think torque hasn’t been much of a concern in turbocharged four-cylinders probably in 20 years, so it’s not that much of a marketing strategy to try to blow people away with musclecar torque figures anymore. They just need a good figure and a reasonably flat curve, plus the marketing will revolve more around hp anyway.
No, the 15+ WRX hasn't had much problem with transmission failures even on tuned cars. So yeah it's 100% Subaru limiting the WRX based on that being their internal limit for the gearbox. I mention because the tiny power bump and zero torque bump going to the 2.4L was such a head-scratcher for so many people and usually someone would guess at the CVT being the limiting factor. The HTCVT handles 300 lb-ft in multiple applications, it's absolutely the manual gearbox that is the limiting factor, and that resulted in the VB having the surprisingly small gains over VA.

Then consider the STI's gearbox is 1. generally renowned as among the best and 2. zero development cost, zero emissions/efficiency impact to implement. Whatever dollar adder it would be to put it into the WRX I think most people would happily pay. I'd expect with the gearbox no longer a limiting factor they could re-tune the engine for 280hp/tq without changing a single other thing mechanically and for very little EPA impact. The biggest reason they haven't done any of this would be that a VB STI was long-planned and only cancelled a the 11th hour. I wouldn't expect any changes to WRX that were enabled by the STI cancellation until the refresh, if ever. Any performance package they had in the development pipeline probably wouldn't have added anything beyond what prior WRX performance packages added.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 03:32 PM   #52
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
Then consider the STI's gearbox is 1. generally renowned as among the best and 2. zero development cost, zero emissions/efficiency impact to implement. Whatever dollar adder it would be to put it into the WRX I think most people would happily pay. I'd expect with the gearbox no longer a limiting factor they could re-tune the engine for 280hp/tq without changing a single other thing mechanically and for very little EPA impact. The biggest reason they haven't done any of this would be that a VB STI was long-planned and only cancelled a the 11th hour. I wouldn't expect any changes to WRX that were enabled by the STI cancellation until the refresh, if ever. Any performance package they had in the development pipeline probably wouldn't have added anything beyond what prior WRX performance packages added.
There may not be any development costs but perhaps its unit cost is keeping it from being used. It’s a lot stronger of a gearbox and probably utilizes better parts that might account for more of a price increase than we’d think. Sure, using it in more applications would help scale it, but perhaps Subaru feels like they don’t want to do that, if the main benefit of it being able to handle more power isn’t going to mean that they’ll sell multiples more units, if it means they have to toss out their current transmission (which they’ve invested in and expect to use X number of them) and use a different one when not necessary but without a big gain for them.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:01 PM   #53
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
The f and r LSDs differentiate the STI from a regular WRX.

The FA20T had the weirdest torque curve, I never got used to it. Low down torque that runs out of steam quick, almost like diesel. The EJ 255 in my '12 WRX with 5 speed actually had a much more satisfying drivetrain to drive and even more so with a Cobb tune.

The response and overall feel of the drivetrain is a step up in the STI's EJ257 from the EJ 255 in the 2014 and back gen of WRXs.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (02-28-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 06:45 PM   #54
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
so i'm still really into the Evo X idea... finding a clean example hasn't been easy sadly but i have a couple months before tags are due on my BRZ and need to revert it back to stock for smog/sale. i am also open to a newer STI if a clean one falls into my price range. ngl i've been test driving both in gran turismo a lot lol

last week i rented a 2022 WRX with stick on Turo when i was traveling and man i really hated it. The power was nice and the transmission felt good but it didn't feel very WRXy to me. Very floaty and bloated feeling despite not being heavier than the outgoing model. obviously no UEL. even with the AWD the dynamics kind of just felt like a top spec Camry with a lot of power. just did not enjoy it. on the bright side it was way nicer and more comfy than other subarus i've spent time in. it was something that i could work with if a needed like 80% daily, 20% fun. but for me i'd rather have an 80% fun car that is 20% dailyable and has back seats.
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:30 PM   #55
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
so i'm still really into the Evo X idea... finding a clean example hasn't been easy sadly but i have a couple months before tags are due on my BRZ and need to revert it back to stock for smog/sale. i am also open to a newer STI if a clean one falls into my price range. ngl i've been test driving both in gran turismo a lot lol
What’s your budget, if you don’t mind me asking?

South Coast Mitsubishi (which is where I bought my two Evo IXs) hoarded close to a dozen new, never-sold Evo X SEs a long time ago, and I don’t remember hearing about them having sold them. Assuming they haven’t but are taking offers, I’d assume it’s not going to be cheap, but they’d be clean.

Before that, they did the same thing with four Evo IX MRs, as they stashed four (a pristine grey one, a red one and a white one each which were promo cars that had vinyl dealer stickers on them but still new, and another one that I never saw but I think was either red, white or silver) that they never told anyone about. In 2010, they announced on EvoM that they had them and were selling them at MSRP (which initially seemed crazy, especially since they were known for having sold Evos for under invoice for nearly five years straight, if you were a poster on either EvoM or SoCalEvo). A lot of people scoffed at the idea saying that they wouldn’t pay MSRP for a four year-old car. But an overseas buyer paid $50k for one (which presumably also included the costs to ship it to them), then SCM said that the bar was raised and that they were instead selling them for that much. Of course a lot of the initial doubters reversed course and offered to buy at MSRP, but no luck. They grey one (which I saw in their showroom floor for a year or two) eventually sold on eBay for $138k, and even Road & Track wrote an article about it.

Going back to the story, they had a dozen stashed in the back of their dealership. Not hidden, but just among other inventory and not in the front lot where all the attention was. I remember the GSM Sam saying that they weren’t offering the special forum pricing on them and that they were going to hold onto them. It was actually a pretty good model… they only made it for one year but it was basically a wingless GSR (from a visual perspective) but with the MR’s DCT, two-piece rotors and Bilsteins shocks, and also the MR Touring’s heated seats, but just not in full leather. So it was basically an MR Touring but with the standard GSR interior and wheels.

Last edited by DeeezNuuuts83; 03-02-2023 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:21 PM   #56
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
What’s your budget, if you don’t mind me asking?

South Coast Mitsubishi (which is where I bought my two Evo IXs) hoarded close to a dozen new, never-sold Evo X SEs a long time ago, and I don’t remember hearing about them having sold them. Assuming they haven’t but are taking offers, I’d assume it’s not going to be cheap, but they’d be clean.

Before that, they did the same thing with four Evo IX MRs, as they stashed four (a pristine grey one, a red one and a white one each which were promo cars that had vinyl dealer stickers on them but still new, and another one that I never saw but I think was either red, white or silver) that they never told anyone about. In 2010, they announced on EvoM that they had them and were selling them at MSRP (which initially seemed crazy, especially since they were known for having sold Evos for under invoice for nearly five years straight, if you were a poster on either EvoM or SoCalEvo). A lot of people scoffed at the idea saying that they wouldn’t pay MSRP for a four year-old car. But an overseas buyer paid $50k for one (which presumably also included the costs to ship it to them), then SCM said that the bar was raised and that they were instead selling them for that much. Of course a lot of the initial doubters reversed course and offered to buy at MSRP, but no luck. They grey one (which I saw in their showroom floor for a year or two) eventually sold on eBay for $138k, and even Road & Track wrote an article about it.

Going back to the story, they had a dozen stashed in the back of their dealership. Not hidden, but just among other inventory and not in the front lot where all the attention was. I remember the GSM Sam saying that they weren’t offering the special forum pricing on them and that they were going to hold onto them. It was actually a pretty good model… they only made it for one year but it was basically a wingless GSR (from a visual perspective) but with the MR’s DCT, two-piece rotors and Bilsteins shocks, and also the MR Touring’s heated seats, but just not in full leather. So it was basically an MR Touring but with the standard GSR interior and wheels.

Sounds pretty sweet but my budget is probably more in the $20-25k range. I'm looking for an actual light duty daily that will probably see some track time so not an investment piece.
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote