follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2023, 12:36 PM   #1
lapsio

Drives: 2020 BRZ Final Edition, 1999 MX5 NB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Recommended standalone TPMS for weekend wheels?

Well not technically weekend wheels... but I have 3 sets of wheels and I'm changing them pretty often when climate is unstable so it doesn't make much sense for me to use OEM reprogrammable TPMS for any of them apart from the most summer ones and the most winter ones. Between summer/autumn or winter/autumn I'm sometimes changing like once a week or every two weeks because they're quite specific. And recently one of those wheel exploded because it got punctured and I lost pressure and kept going a bit too long (you could argue how is it possible that I didn't feel it but when you use some fancy wet track tires they have quite high vibrations even during normal operation already so when I felt something is wrong it was already way too late).

As such I'm looking for some standalone TPMS system with screen for that 3rd set of wheels that wouldn't require reprogramming all the time. There's quite a lot of such cheap chinese systems for like 50$ but well... I'm looking for something a bit less of an aliexpress / dollar store deal. At the same time I'm probably not looking for some ultra pro 5k usd system. My budget is lets say something around 200-500$, though it's not fixed budget. In this price I'd expect possibly reliable pressure measurement. Temperature would be "nice to have" but I'm aware those non-ultra-pro TPMS systems may have some precision issues with temperature measurements so it's not must-have for me.

Any recommendations?
lapsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:27 AM   #2
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsio View Post
Well not technically weekend wheels... but I have 3 sets of wheels and I'm changing them pretty often when climate is unstable so it doesn't make much sense for me to use OEM reprogrammable TPMS for any of them apart from the most summer ones and the most winter ones. Between summer/autumn or winter/autumn I'm sometimes changing like once a week or every two weeks because they're quite specific. And recently one of those wheel exploded because it got punctured and I lost pressure and kept going a bit too long (you could argue how is it possible that I didn't feel it but when you use some fancy wet track tires they have quite high vibrations even during normal operation already so when I felt something is wrong it was already way too late).

As such I'm looking for some standalone TPMS system with screen for that 3rd set of wheels that wouldn't require reprogramming all the time. There's quite a lot of such cheap chinese systems for like 50$ but well... I'm looking for something a bit less of an aliexpress / dollar store deal. At the same time I'm probably not looking for some ultra pro 5k usd system. My budget is lets say something around 200-500$, though it's not fixed budget. In this price I'd expect possibly reliable pressure measurement. Temperature would be "nice to have" but I'm aware those non-ultra-pro TPMS systems may have some precision issues with temperature measurements so it's not must-have for me.

Any recommendations?
I just purchased programmable aftermarket sensors and then programmed them to the OEM sensor IDs and now I can swap between my wheels without ever doing anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wally86 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-09-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 04:47 PM   #3
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
I just purchased programmable aftermarket sensors and then programmed them to the OEM sensor IDs and now I can swap between my wheels without ever doing anything.
This makes sense to me. Real time data on tire pressure, while cool in the abstract is of limited use in street driving - at least to me. A lot of folks just learn to ignore the TPMS warning light. I have the oem tires and wheels in storage. If I ever have access to a skid pad I’ll break them out and ignore the light.

I understand the lure of the data a real time display would provide, I’m just not willing to spend any money to get it. And I’m not clear how going HAM on it with sensors and screens solve the nagging light issue. My wife’s Camry will display each tires pressure but it’s not synced to which corner of the car the tire is on. It’s useful in that when I get lax about keeping up with her car and she feels like it’s becoming a bigger pig, she can wart me to air up the tires and throw a number at me. But, I’m usually ahead of that curve. That, of course, is just me. Different folks - different strokes.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:41 PM   #4
Wally86
Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
This makes sense to me. Real time data on tire pressure, while cool in the abstract is of limited use in street driving - at least to me. A lot of folks just learn to ignore the TPMS warning light. I have the oem tires and wheels in storage. If I ever have access to a skid pad I’ll break them out and ignore the light.

I understand the lure of the data a real time display would provide, I’m just not willing to spend any money to get it. And I’m not clear how going HAM on it with sensors and screens solve the nagging light issue. My wife’s Camry will display each tires pressure but it’s not synced to which corner of the car the tire is on. It’s useful in that when I get lax about keeping up with her car and she feels like it’s becoming a bigger pig, she can wart me to air up the tires and throw a number at me. But, I’m usually ahead of that curve. That, of course, is just me. Different folks - different strokes.

Personally my disdain for TPMS couldn't get any worse and I wish manufacturers would use the current honda method of comparing wheel speeds but what can ya do.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:38 PM   #5
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Personally my disdain for TPMS couldn't get any worse and I wish manufacturers would use the current honda method of comparing wheel speeds but what can ya do.
If I could kill the whole effen system I would.
Wally86 (02-09-2023), x808drifter (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 08:54 AM   #6
Wally86
Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
If I could kill the whole effen system I would.
Same. But gov mandate since what, 2008? Thanks firestone.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:35 AM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Mind linking what set you are running? I have been thinking about doing this. Plus the tire shop is getting suspicious when I drop off my track wheels and tell them it is for an 85' Chevy Celebrity.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:43 AM   #8
Wally86
Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Mind linking what set you are running? I have been thinking about doing this. Plus the tire shop is getting suspicious when I drop off my track wheels and tell them it is for an 85' Chevy Celebrity.
Voila . Or "wala" and I've heard people saying lately.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...02&postcount=2
NoHaveMSG (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 11:52 AM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Voila . Or "wala" and I've heard people saying lately.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...02&postcount=2

The ones I was looking at the tool was stupid expensive.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:53 AM   #10
Wally86
Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

The ones I was looking at the tool was stupid expensive.
Cheap "sports car". Cheap owner. Hi, my name is Wally and I'm a cheapskate.
NoHaveMSG (02-09-2023)