follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2022, 09:27 AM   #561
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any good reason to stick with 1st Gen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It looks like it was designed in sections by three different people that didn't know what the others were doing. The whole front bumper. side vents and running boards look like somebody started installing a body kit at the nose and then just stopped.
All in all the design cues that work very well on a beefier car like the STi just don't fit on the BRZ/86.

You know we are not allowed to have this opinion though so it doesn't matter since the second gen is now a super car and the old ones are just trash.

You’ve made this type comment a number of times. You aren’t being silenced or prevented from having an opinion unless moderators here have been deleting your posts or restricting your ability to post.

You have an opinion you’ve made very well known. Some people have noticed, disagreed, and responded with their opinions on your opinions. The pushback you are getting just means that your opinion is unpopular. NBD. We all have unpopular opinions. My unpopular opinion was that the FA20 was just fine as an engine. Gruff and unrefined, but performance was fine. The fact we got an engine that wasn’t plucked out of a Forester was a win, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
alone1i (01-25-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (01-25-2022), Tcoat (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 09:57 AM   #562
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
IMO the new design is less aggro and less "boy-racerish". New-gen front fenders are less gimmicky and cleaner and more sculpted. If anything the new BRZ front bumper is slimmer and less bluff and wouldn't fit at all on a big bulky car. The little kick in the rocker panels aft of the door doesn't bother me, I think it's a clean counterpoint to the front fenders and also fills in some plain dead space between the back of the door and wheel opening. In a proper FR sports car that space wouldn't exist...

I like both, a lot. Neither are perfect and as far as I'm concerned both suffer in the looks department due to rear wheels too far aft. Which also kills the weight distribution. Oh wellz!
Yep - I totally agree. The three things I dislike most about the styling of my 2020 have been fixed - the rounded cues on the hood (including the u-shaped crease in the middle of the hood and the "boobs" on either side), the boy-racer spoiler design (obviously, some generations had better ones than my 2020), and most annoyingly, the lame-ass fake side vent.

The front look and stance looks much wider and cleaner in the new version. I really like the side vent look and the fact it breaks up the side door/panel - but regardless, anything is better than a fake vent. You could argue that they went a little too wide with the door sills, but I will need to see that in person to give a full report. So far, it looks pretty darn good to me. Really like the stock 18"s on the premium this time around - so much so I won't even think about changing them.

The one thing I have seen so far that I don't like is the little add on piece on the rear fender above the wheel well, but it is a small beef.

BTW- the one other thing they changed on the exterior of the new one that I don't like (probably necessitated by the moving of the license plate from the trunk lid to the bumper - which I do like) is the removal of the triangle shaped, F1-inspired fog light. I didn't like, and still don't like, the way the backup lights really look out of place (which is why I smoked them on my Gen1 and will smoke them again on my Gen2) - but the triangle fog light was cool and I was always planning on doing the brake-light mod to it.

Last edited by CincyJohn; 01-25-2022 at 10:25 AM.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:21 AM   #563
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
YThe three things I dislike most about the styling of my 2020 have been fixed...
Well, for what it's worth, I didn't think the refresh did the original model any favors. I much prefer the 2013 over the 2020.

Also, this isn't just because I own the original car, I have no issue with model changes. I just like what I like and neither the midcycle refresh nor the the GEN2 is it.

Could I live with them, as I said above, yes. It would just be a hard choice to do so.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 10:29 AM   #564
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I already have an STI so getting a new 86 would look sort of redundant where that side vent is concerned. It's ironic though that Subaru has dropped that feature from its new WRX and STI but on my driveway that doesn't eliminate the repetitiveness.

How bout mid model refresh changes that? Probably not, it's a styling decision they made just like the fender garnish on gen 1 and I suppose it is unique compared to WRXs from 2023 my onward.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 10:35 AM   #565
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
I already have an STI so getting a new 86 would look sort of redundant where that side vent is concerned. It's ironic though that Subaru has dropped that feature from its new WRX and STI but on my driveway that doesn't eliminate the repetitiveness.

How bout mid model refresh changes that? Probably not, it's a styling decision they made just like the fender garnish on gen 1 and I suppose it is unique compared to WRXs from 2023 my onward.
LOL Ya. I fully appreciate my own personal irony that I would never buy a new BRZ/86 because of the side vent and never be interested in the STi because it is now gone!
For my tastes. They went too far in one direction on the one model and too far in the other with the other one.
Dadhawk (01-25-2022), wbradley (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 10:39 AM   #566
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
You’ve made this type comment a number of times. You aren’t being silenced or prevented from having an opinion unless moderators here have been deleting your posts or restricting your ability to post.

You have an opinion you’ve made very well known. Some people have noticed, disagreed, and responded with their opinions on your opinions. The pushback you are getting just means that your opinion is unpopular. NBD. We all have unpopular opinions. My unpopular opinion was that the FA20 was just fine as an engine. Gruff and unrefined, but performance was fine. The fact we got an engine that wasn’t plucked out of a Forester was a win, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't matter. My (and many others) opinion is just based on ego and denial since we already own first gens. The first gen is junk and we just can't come to grips with that fact. We are just to dumb to appreciate how much better the second gen is and why nobody should be at all happy with their first gen.
alone1i (01-25-2022), Dadhawk (01-25-2022), RippedManiac (01-31-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 10:39 AM   #567
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Everyone is raving about the new WRX performance and they gave it a tiny bit of CUV dna in the suspension height and wheel well trim this time which allows it to hold yet another unique position in the market. It's ugly, but then again most all Subaru products resemble some prehistoric creature of some sort lol. That's part of the charm, they make up for the looks in many other ways.

Anyway, the gen 2 received a little more Subaru dna with the addition of the side vent. We all know the styling was like 100% Toyota last gen. Now that I look closer, it does look a bit teradactyl like. LOL

I like to try and be impartial regardless which gen I have. The interior looks improved for sure. Also I think the GR86 front fascia is the best of all iterations of the twins I have seen, at least in photos. No point in comparing performance since in my case my car will still be faster, and rawer.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Tcoat (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 11:00 AM   #568
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Everyone is raving about the new WRX performance and they gave it a tiny bit of CUV dna in the suspension height and wheel well trim this time which allows it to hold yet another unique position in the market. It's ugly, but then again most all Subaru products resemble some prehistoric creature of some sort lol. That's part of the charm, they make up for the looks in many other ways.

Anyway, the gen 2 received a little more Subaru dna with the addition of the side vent. We all know the styling was like 100% Toyota last gen. Now that I look closer, it does look a bit teradactyl like. LOL

I like to try and be impartial regardless which gen I have. The interior looks improved for sure. Also I think the GR86 front fascia is the best of all iterations of the twins I have seen, at least in photos. No point in comparing performance since in my case my car will still be faster, and rawer.
I'd say the side vent is less Subaru and more Toyota since its almost a near identical copy of the Lexus F car (in this case most closely identical to the RCF) vent treatment.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #569
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I'd say the side vent is less Subaru and more Toyota since its almost a near identical copy of the Lexus F car (in this case most closely identical to the RCF) vent treatment.
I suppose you're right. Subaru has been doing the side vents a long time now, since '08 I think. BMW had/has tacked-on chrome trim as side vents .
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2022, 02:52 PM   #570
PBR

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited 6 speed manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Doesn't matter. My (and many others) opinion is just based on ego and denial since we already own first gens. The first gen is junk and we just can't come to grips with that fact. We are just to dumb to appreciate how much better the second gen is and why nobody should be at all happy with their first gen.
You had not driven both cars as some of us had. You can continue to play victim or make better arguments. There are many of us that feel the 2nd is a much better sports car and I'm one of them. Prove us wrong. I for one was blown away and it wasn't a secret plot to anger gen 1 owners. I did get annoyed at some of the ignorant posts and trolled a bit. Again, I apologize. Sincerely.
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #571
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR View Post
You had not driven both cars as some of us had. You can continue to play victim or make better arguments. There are many of us that feel the 2nd is a much better sports car and I'm one of them. Prove us wrong. I for one was blown away and it wasn't a secret plot to anger gen 1 owners. I did get annoyed at some of the ignorant posts and trolled a bit. Again, I apologize. Sincerely.
I have never said it wasn't a better car. It is and had to be better.
It does not mean that many people should not still be happy with the old one.

This thread is titled "Any Good Reason to Stick With 1st Gen" but anybody that gives such a reason is shouted down and insulted by offering it up.
bcj (01-25-2022), Dadhawk (01-25-2022), PBR (01-25-2022), soundman98 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 03:45 PM   #572
PBR

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited 6 speed manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I have never said it wasn't a better car. It is and had to be better.
It does not mean that many people should not still be happy with the old one.

This thread is titled "Any Good Reason to Stick With 1st Gen" but anybody that gives such a reason is shouted down and insulted by offering it up.
For sure but I also think it's just as rude to bash the new car. It doesn't deserve it either. Not saying you did. But you know what i mean. I chose a Gen 1 over another Elise and if that's not good enough praise, I don't know what is lol. There's a strong case to be made for keeping both haha
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:50 PM   #573
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR View Post
. There's a strong case to be made for keeping both haha
Attached Images

Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
PBR (01-25-2022), Pete (01-31-2022), soundman98 (01-25-2022), Tcoat (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #574
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Meh. AP1, AP2 both have their pluses and minuses. Some people were fortunate to get in on the car earlier but some are fortunate to drive an updated version. All good. Not sure why there's any tension. Younger people are enthusiastic re: the new model. Don't undersell it, and don't undersell the old model either. I have the oldest model possible and I enjoy it plenty. So, does that mean most of you out there have a "better" car than me? lol
PBR (01-25-2022)