follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TOMEI UEL + ? Exhaust

Recently had my headers installed and wanted suggestions on an exhaust that suits what i'm looking for.

I don't want anything obnoxiously loud or with excessive drone in the low- mid ranges. Just a little more sound and something that will accentuate the UEL rumble. I currently don't have plans to replace the other pipes and don't want to spend TOO much, my budget is max $800 USD, but likely will be lower due to factoring the additional shipping costs (provided I can't find it for sale in AUS).

I see a lot of people suggesting the Invidia exhaust- I've seen a few videos of it and it hasn't really done much for me.

I LOVE the look of a quad tip, however all the options seem to be pretty expensive.
https://www.ft86speedfactory.com/ft-...l#.XtOu0jozaUk

^This quad tip is appealing and sounds great so if anyone has experience with it please share. I did see a youtube comment from someone saying it had pretty bad drone in the 3k rev ranges so a few more opinions on it would be helpful.

Another option for me is the Borla S Type.

Few more things to add- I'm not crazy about burned tips/ the aesthetic of the exhaust so that aspect isn't going to factor into the appeal for me. As I said i'm just looking for something to make my UEL header tone more apparent, slight increase in sound but nothing that's going to get me pulled over.

Thanks
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Recently had my headers installed and wanted suggestions on an exhaust that suits what i'm looking for.

I don't want anything obnoxiously loud or with excessive drone in the low- mid ranges. Just a little more sound and something that will accentuate the UEL rumble. I currently don't have plans to replace the other pipes and don't want to spend TOO much, my budget is max $800 USD, but likely will be lower due to factoring the additional shipping costs (provided I can't find it for sale in AUS).

I see a lot of people suggesting the Invidia exhaust- I've seen a few videos of it and it hasn't really done much for me.

I LOVE the look of a quad tip, however all the options seem to be pretty expensive.
https://www.ft86speedfactory.com/ft-...l#.XtOu0jozaUk

^This quad tip is appealing and sounds great so if anyone has experience with it please share. I did see a youtube comment from someone saying it had pretty bad drone in the 3k rev ranges so a few more opinions on it would be helpful.

Another option for me is the Borla S Type.

Few more things to add- I'm not crazy about burned tips/ the aesthetic of the exhaust so that aspect isn't going to factor into the appeal for me. As I said i'm just looking for something to make my UEL header tone more apparent, slight increase in sound but nothing that's going to get me pulled over.

Thanks
All very subjective the longer I read posts and think about it. But I do have tomei UEL and borla S type exhaust. So let's check your list .

Obnoxious - nope I don't consider it obnoxious. I low mid range boxer rumble accentuated by the Borla which tends to bring out more low and mid tones. It's rather refined.

Drone - I think to tomei UEL kind of lend themselves to low to mid drone, but it's not terrible. With the borla this does increase peaking just shy of 3500 rpm at 75 mph. Seems a little more on a petrol tune.. between 75-80 it kind of peaks. You'd have to raise your voice a little in cabin for conversation but not terrible. above 80 and the pitch rises to where you don't notice it as much. If you expect to have a cabin where you can have long philosophical debates with an aftermarket exhaust of any kind, probably not happening in an 86 without some added sound dampening.

I think the borla shines at bringing out the low mid tones and gives it a very refined and aggressive boxer rumble that people next to you will notice. Doesn't mean every policeman is gonna hear it and look to pull you over. Where it comes up short compared to corsa invidia perrin is in that 6-7k rpm range. It doesn't shine as well as those do in that range doesn't quite sound as clean.. again my opinion.. but I don't drive around at 7k rpm constantly. The tips are quite big and scream look at me. Considering your budget and what you've mentioned I don't think you would be disappointed. I wouldn't recommend the quads if on a budget.. you'll have to get a new diffuser to fit.

But again all this is very subjective
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:25 PM   #3
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKITA View Post
All very subjective the longer I read posts and think about it. But I do have tomei UEL and borla S type exhaust. So let's check your list .

Obnoxious - nope I don't consider it obnoxious. I low mid range boxer rumble accentuated by the Borla which tends to bring out more low and mid tones. It's rather refined.

Drone - I think to tomei UEL kind of lend themselves to low to mid drone, but it's not terrible. With the borla this does increase peaking just shy of 3500 rpm at 75 mph. Seems a little more on a petrol tune.. between 75-80 it kind of peaks. You'd have to raise your voice a little in cabin for conversation but not terrible. above 80 and the pitch rises to where you don't notice it as much. If you expect to have a cabin where you can have long philosophical debates with an aftermarket exhaust of any kind, probably not happening in an 86 without some added sound dampening.

I think the borla shines at bringing out the low mid tones and gives it a very refined and aggressive boxer rumble that people next to you will notice. Doesn't mean every policeman is gonna hear it and look to pull you over. Where it comes up short compared to corsa invidia perrin is in that 6-7k rpm range. It doesn't shine as well as those do in that range doesn't quite sound as clean.. again my opinion.. but I don't drive around at 7k rpm constantly. The tips are quite big and scream look at me. Considering your budget and what you've mentioned I don't think you would be disappointed. I wouldn't recommend the quads if on a budget.. you'll have to get a new diffuser to fit.

But again all this is very subjective
Thanks i'll do some more research on the Borla and see if it's something i'd want to pickup.

As for the quad, the exhaust I linked is fairly cheap for a quad ($700 USD) and it fits into the stock diffuser so you don't have to cut into it and put in those TRD covers like with the other quads

Last edited by Sam86; 06-01-2020 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yeah I didn't click that. Interesting piece they've got there.. Those look Blitz inspired. I can't tell you the sound you're getting with those so there's the gamble there. But yeah it's another option. I'm not a huge FT86SF fan, but that's up to you.
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
Sam86

Think I might just bite the bullet and go the quad tip (unless I can find something local). The more I look at my stock tips the more I feel like filling it out with the quads would make it look that much better. Just really hoping that the few opinions of it I can find saying it drones are all running aftermarket front/ midpipes which I won't have. Just wish there were more videos/ reviews on this exhaust

My budget is considerably lower after checking shipping costs, had estimated a couple hundred- not 400 USD for the cheapest option... As far as what I can find locally, it all just seems to be the Invidia exhausts and even then they're listed at 1k USD. Also would have to pay for the install as I don't have any jacks so all up i'm looking at around 1200 USD all up for quads + install which I don't think is too bad.

But yea I agree with you on FT86, just being a collab I just can't find something like this in this price range anywhere else

Here's what the quads sound like (taking into account their car is completely stock other than exhaust..)
Old 06-02-2020, 02:38 AM   #6
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Think I might just bite the bullet and go the quad tip (unless I can find something local). The more I look at my stock tips the more I feel like filling it out with the quads would make it look that much better. Just really hoping that the few opinions of it I can find saying it drones are all running aftermarket front/ midpipes which I won't have. Just wish there were more videos/ reviews on this exhaust

My budget is considerably lower after checking shipping costs, had estimated a couple hundred- not 400 USD for the cheapest option... As far as what I can find locally, it all just seems to be the Invidia exhausts and even then they're listed at 1k USD. Also would have to pay for the install as I don't have any jacks so all up i'm looking at around 1200 USD all up for quads + install which I don't think is too bad.

But yea I agree with you on FT86, just being a collab I just can't find something like this in this price range anywhere else

Here's what the quads sound like (taking into account their car is completely stock other than exhaust..)
CSG touring exhaust

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:58 AM   #7
Jpembry

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ Series.Gray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the HKS Legamax Premium with my gruppe-s UEL (supposedly the same design as tomei) and love it. Great tone, no rasp, little to no drone.
Jpembry is offline   Reply With Quote