follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Skippman- My design, someone else fab (team principal). Fibreglass ain't my bag!
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
@ft_sjo That is VERY clean looking! Did you do that install yourself or have a shop do it for you. Given you were competing I'd assume you'd done it yourself.
@cruzinbill More trouble than it's worth probably. I've never really listened to my KEF's off axis so I don't even know how it'd sound. True it'd be bounced off the windshield but still, that's just going to do nothing more than distort it further.

I was reading some reviews of the Audible Physics AR3K's and people really seem to like the Tang Band W3's and W4's, particularly the bamboo coned ones. The Seas Prestige line also seems to get good reviews. Running full active is definatly a lot of research, lol.
The Audible Physics stuff gets rave reviews, the HAT L3se is something i wanted to try to but out of my price range. There are lots of speakers that will do the job but tuning and install will be key and everybody's tastes are different. Let us know how it turns out though.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #17
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
The Audible Physics stuff gets rave reviews, the HAT L3se is something i wanted to try to but out of my price range. There are lots of speakers that will do the job but tuning and install will be key and everybody's tastes are different. Let us know how it turns out though.
You are def right about that, tuning is 80% of it IMO. Now that I am pretty much done with my build, I'm gonna pick up some PYLE or somthin of that sort to see really how far you can go with a shitty speaker.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
Skippman

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm planning on having my tuning done by Josh at JML Audio here in St. Louis. He has an EXCELLENT reputation and hearing some of his projects makes me trust him even more. Of course, tuning like that doesn't come cheap.

Is it bad that I have about $6,000 planned for a car I don't even have yet?
Skippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
No, of course not, not when it comes to audio
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #20
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
I'm planning on having my tuning done by Josh at JML Audio here in St. Louis. He has an EXCELLENT reputation and hearing some of his projects makes me trust him even more. Of course, tuning like that doesn't come cheap.

Is it bad that I have about $6,000 planned for a car I don't even have yet?

Not if you are getting your monies worth, but that seems steep for what you listed you are gonna do.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
Skippman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
Not if you are getting your monies worth, but that seems steep for what you listed you are gonna do.
I wasn't refering solely to audio equipment. Tint, Opticoat, and clear bra are going to eat up a fair bit of that budget. :happy0180:
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #22
rupert
Audio & Bacon Junkie

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Here's a system I was debating on for a Subaru BRZ I have on order. The BRZ has enough room for a 4" driver plus a tweeter in the dash. The doors are 7" drivers from the factory.

Audison BitTenD
Audison Voce AV 5.1k
Audison AV bit IN

Wideband: KEF Ci50R or Aura NSW2-326-8A "Whisper"
Midbase: Peerless SLS830667

or

Hertz HSK-165

This will all be running off the factory Fujitsu Ten headunit that will of course be DSP'd by the BitTenD.

Pick this appart. Do you think this will work given the BRZ's interior or am I way off base here?

Also, does anyone know the maximum sized driver you could fit in the dash? I'm talking if you completely removed both the midbass and the tweeter and their brackets and custom fab'd something up? Diameter and depth would be great to know. I have a crazy idea and want to know if it'd fit.
I've been lurking on this thread for a little bit. With the tax return coming soon, I've been thinking of finally buying my stuff. I already have the CLD, CCF, and MLV waiting.

Currently, I was thinking of doing the following:

Wide: Seas Prestige FU10RB
Midbass: Peerless 830946 SLS
Bass: Seas L26RO4Y
DSP: RF 360.3

The only thing I'm really worried about is depth for the Peerless drivers. Even with the spacers, I'll cut it really close.

http://www.subaruaudio.net/subaru-sp...nd-scion-fr-s/

Do you think I will have an issue? I'd like to open the door, seal it, install the driver, close it. The less panel modifying, the better
rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
Skippman

Ok, after careful research I think I've finally decided what I'm going to use for my build.

Source: Fujitsu Ten Stock, eventually replace with Ca-Fi Knock-Off
DSP: Audison BitTenD
Amp: Audison Voce AV 5.1k
Interconnect: Audison AV bit IN
Drivers: Audible Physics NzA Duo's

Other than a sub I think that will do it. I plan to utilize the factory mounting locations with adapters. As for the transducers I may A pillar mount those, or attempt to fab a bracket to use the factory tweeter location. Using the BitTen gives me quite a lot of options for tweeking. This will hopefully give me excellent staging.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
cruzinbill

Garage
Looks promising
Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #25
Redmist

Drives: Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering the Audible Physics NzA Duo too. Pretty good value for high-end gear according to people that I've spoken to.

The hardest part is knowing what amps/processors and where to put them without losing most of the trunk space. My last build was in a big sedan back in the day when almost nobody had processors and you could just hide some big-ass amps under the seats.

Last edited by Redmist; 03-31-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
Skippman

@Redmist there's plenty of threads on great installs here on the forum. Not all of them are MECA grade mind you but they're very good starting points and I'm certain sound excellent. A couple I'd recommend you review are:

2forme's build
curzinbill's build
GaN-MaN's build
Sorkov's build
Wheelhaus's build

That should give you some excellent starting points for how to build your system. Be sure to check out the audio directory sticky threat as Rupert does an excellent job of linking to new threads as they become available. Also consider checking out DIYMA's forums and search for "Bing Install." Bing's become something of a minor celebrity for his BRZ/FRS installs and has a wealth of knowledge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skippman For This Useful Post:
Redmist (04-20-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #27
-max-

Drives: Firestorm FRS
I have run the Founteks and currently have the Audible physics NZ3A-at paired with AP Arians and waiting on the new 8" drivers to arrive.
For the money the Founteks are very good, loved them. The APs are better of course, but way more expensive.
I think you will have to do a bit of custom work to fit a 4" in there, but its probably doable. I might try to squish a L4SE in dash at some point. Getting down to 150hz in the dash would be excellent.

One thing with this car I notice with having the highs in the dash, both with tweets and widebands, is bad reflections. This makes it fatiguing fairly quickly. I will be wrapping my pillars and attempting to make a suede dash mat this week and see if that will help
-max- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #28
-max-

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Skippman, I will be looking to sell my Arians this week, used about 2 months, and possibly the whole NZA Duo set for a good price. PM me if interested.
-max- is offline   Reply With Quote