follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List
Koji_Online

Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #603
jelly

Drives: looking for one.. :(
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just did this mod (after 2 weeks of learning stick in this car) and MAN starts are so easy now. Such a simple, great adjustment. The hardest part was honestly figuring out which way the stupid nut turns.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:02 PM   #604
luelanski

Drives: 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey all.

I recently removed the clutch spring and adjusted the clutch pedal height right below the brake.

Now I can shift smoother and easier, especially from 1st to 2nd gear.

However, with this set up, I noticed that the clutch pedal has slight play now, while not depressed. If I go under the clutch pedal and push up, it comes up just a little, probably less than 1 centimeter, because the spring is not there anymore to keep the clutch up. I'm worried that the clutch may be "riding itself" because I'm able to lift it up a little when its not depressed.

I did the same with with the brake pedal and the gas pedal and there is no play at all.

Has anyone come across this?

Also, my car is leased. Should I put the spring back in before returning the car?
luelanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #605
mb_
Ex-MR2 owner

Drives: Scion FRS
Did this while I was doing the clutch spring mod. My MR2 had a low engagement point which I missed but now I don't miss it that much anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luelanski View Post
Hey all.

I recently removed the clutch spring and adjusted the clutch pedal height right below the brake.

Now I can shift smoother and easier, especially from 1st to 2nd gear.

However, with this set up, I noticed that the clutch pedal has slight play now, while not depressed. If I go under the clutch pedal and push up, it comes up just a little, probably less than 1 centimeter. I'm worried that the clutch may be "riding itself" because I'm able to lift it up a little when its not depressed.

I did the same with with the brake pedal and the gas pedal and there is no play at all.

Has anyone come across this?

Also, my car is leased. Should I put the spring back in before returning the car?
I noticed that there was a little bit of play as well but I took a closer look and came to a conclusion that the spring is what eliminated the play.

As for your leasing situation, I'd put it back if you can but depending on your dealership, I don't think anyone will notice that there's suppose to be a spring there.
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #606
luelanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Did this while I was doing the clutch spring mod. My MR2 had a low engagement point which I missed but now I don't miss it that much anymore!

I noticed that there was a little bit of play as well but I took a closer look and came to a conclusion that the spring is what eliminated the play.

As for your leasing situation, I'd put it back if you can but depending on your dealership, I don't think anyone will notice that there's suppose to be a spring there.
thanks, i have been driving it for over a month like this, and i havent had any problems, but i just wanted to clear my head about the clutch play.

can u push up the clutch pedal from the bottom and it moves up ever so slightly?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #607
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,572 Times in 18,956 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luelanski View Post
thanks, i have been driving it for over a month like this, and i havent had any problems, but i just wanted to clear my head about the clutch play.

can u push up the clutch pedal from the bottom and it moves up ever so slightly?
Never mind the arrow in this picture. I took it from earlier in the thread.

As long as the spherical part I painted green is butted up against the clip on the inside edge of the yellow, you're ok.

If the play is irritating, you can take up some with the cruise cancel switch. Just make sure you don't push in the green part.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 07-01-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
keithr (07-10-2015), luelanski (07-10-2015), N234 (12-29-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #608
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If I'm not mistaken having that freeplay on top of the clutch is good indication that your clutch is not riding itself. I'd be worried if I took the clutch spring out and didn't have that freeplay at the top.

Edit: Nevermind. I realize what you're getting at now. Being able to pull up slightly on the pedal could mean the clutch is slightly engaged. I've done the clutch spring removal and height adjustment, and slave cylinder swap. I can pull up slightly on mine too but I'm almost positive it's normal.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #609
luelanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Never mind the arrow in this picture. I took it from earlier in the thread.

As long as the spherical part I painted green is butted up against the clip on the inside edge of the yellow, you're ok.

If the play is irritating, you can take up some with the cruise cancel switch. Just make sure you don't push in the green part.

Ive researched and i've come up with the conclusion that you are correct. the spherical part painted green is butted up against the clip on the inside edge of the yellow, so even if I can pull up on the clutch pedal slightly, its not engaged because the spherical part painted green is always sealed completely against the clip on the inside edge of the yellow.

also, I have more than 2000 miles with this setup. surely if the clutch was riding itself for 2k miles i would have noticed a problem by now, and i dont have any problems.

thank you for clarifying.
The Following User Says Thank You to luelanski For This Useful Post:
keithr (07-10-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 11:16 PM   #610
Howardwei

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
After adjusting the clutch engagement point with a competition stage4. My clutch engagment point randomly change sometimes. It would engaged as soon as a lift the foot on clutch just a little. But then sometimes it goes back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?
Howardwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #611
xingxingtjf

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Should have done this long time ago! Thanks OP
xingxingtjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #612
axelo
Banned

Drives: Whiteout frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yeahh

This is so easy its ridiculous..I've done clutch spring removal (harder to remove than this) and it haves the expected to have wobble up top....so upon turning easily master cylinder rod until both brake and clutch pedal are at same height was the spot for me...and its great...and this weekend i did trd quikshift and mtec shifter springs So i'm having so much fun and confidence now in the shifts....now a shorter clutch pedal...
I highly recomend this set up for agressive driving and to be the best (and fastest) hooligan you can be jeje

I think i'm gonna get in trouble with the police....
Be safe and thanks to all

Edit: cruise control senson works properly despite being away from clutch pedal... Didnt have a 14 ratchet....

Last edited by axelo; 08-05-2015 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Forgot detail
axelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #613
fridayfrs

Drives: Frs
I just finished this mod this afternoon and I agree it helps shifting a ton. I noted something that may be what is mentioned in posts above but wanted to see what you guys think. I haven't removed the clutch spring.

When I shift the clutch pedal occasionally pops up a little bit making a thunk. The clutch is fully out and my foot is off of it at this point. The cruise switch isn't holding anything in so I can't figure out what may cause this binding. Any suggestions on what to look at? It isn't a constant thing which has me stumped.

Thx!
fridayfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #614
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayfrs View Post
When I shift the clutch pedal occasionally pops up a little bit making a thunk. The clutch is fully out and my foot is off of it at this point. The cruise switch isn't holding anything in so I can't figure out what may cause this binding. Any suggestions on what to look at? It isn't a constant thing which has me stumped.

Thx!
Does that binding seem to happen from down in the pedal cluster, or is the throwout bearing hanging up?
Old 08-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #615
fridayfrs

Drives: Frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Does that binding seem to happen from down in the pedal cluster, or is the throwout bearing hanging up?

I'm not sure I'd know the difference but I'm thinking the pedal cluster. It didn't do this before this mod so thinking pedals.
Thx
fridayfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #616
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayfrs View Post
I'm not sure I'd know the difference but I'm thinking the pedal cluster. It didn't do this before this mod so thinking pedals.
Thx
I'm inclined to go with you on that. Unfortunately, the only way to figure it out will be to get down on your back and operate the pedal by hand.

Tags
clutch adjustment, clutch helper spring