follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
SurfAndSand
8SiX

Drives: FRS 10series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
RS*R vs Swift Springs

I want to lower my FRS!

My goal, make it a bit more pleasing aesthetically by dropping 1"-1.4", keep stock shocks/struts for now, have similar or better ride quality to stock springs, but be able to have similar driving characteristics as stock at a track/autocross once in a blue moon.

Basically, I want my stock suspension to ride 1" lower, but every thing else should be similar to stock! :p

I've been lead to believe that RS*R springs are the magic ticket:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10643

But I've read a lot of good feedback on Swift springs. With Swift - are they softer than stock, providing better riding, but poorer handling because they are using too much stroke on the stock struts?

Which spring is better for my goals? Help! Thanks guys!
SurfAndSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8739

The swift FR-S springs are very similar to the RS-R offerings in terms of spring rates, tho RS-R offer 2 different levels of ride height and and spring coil construction (steel and titanium). Take a look at the chart in the thread linked above.

I personally like how the Swift BRZ springs look on paper (heavier front spring rates). The spacing between the coils and the number of coils per spring tell me they will not bind and they are relatively lightweight compared to pretty much all other brands which all have more number of coils (more coils = more material = more weight). I've not seen the RS-R Ti springs Ti sound a bit expensive for my tastes. You probably can get some cheapo coilover damper setup for about the cost of Ti springs.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
SurfAndSand (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Having my RS*R SuperDown's installed tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. The specs from RS*R have the drop and rates front at 25-30mm (3160) and rears 30-35mm (4490).

According to some (Moto-P/Miwa), softer springs up front allow for more weight transfer over the front tires, this should allow the fronts to grab a little better while braking and turning. Results should be less understeer (and hopefully preserving the original oversteering nature of the car). The rear rate is almost exactly the same as RCE yellows (FWIW).
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Having my RS*R SuperDown's installed tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. The specs from RS*R have the drop and rates front at 25-30mm (3160) and rears 30-35mm (4490).

According to some (Moto-P/Miwa), softer springs up front allow for more weight transfer over the front tires, this should allow the fronts to grab a little better while braking and turning. Results should be less understeer (and hopefully preserving the original oversteering nature of the car). The rear rate is almost exactly the same as RCE yellows (FWIW).
Softer springs means less weight transfer at that end of the car, but yes, should mean more grip without any other variables, which of course is not reality.

My concern is lowering the car AND having soft rates up front means you quickly are into the bumpstops during body roll. The spring rates of the bumpstops are progressive and spike quickly very high and it's easy to overload the front tires, leading to understeer when pushed hard.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Softer springs means less weight transfer at that end of the car, but yes, should mean more grip without any other variables, which of course is not reality.

My concern is lowering the car AND having soft rates up front means you quickly are into the bumpstops during body roll. The spring rates of the bumpstops are progressive and spike quickly very high and it's easy to overload the front tires, leading to understeer when pushed hard.

- Andy
Andy, during your R&D for your RCE Yellows did you find that anything softer than a 4.5k rate in the front caused this issue? If so, are you concerned that every other spring on this list at -.8 in the front and less than 4.5k will be riding the bump stops and understeering under hard cornering? That's basically every manufacturer not named RaceComp Enginerring. To me that would be too many Mfgs that missed this simple point during their R&D.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Steve

Drives: 6MT
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Looking at the thread on spring rates, the RS*R and Swift (FR-S version), have almost identical spring rates. They both retain the softer front and stiffer rear the FR-S comes with stock and therefor should ride and handle similar.

Decided on going with swift springs after reading the vast amounts of positive reviews on every other platform they make springs for, especially when compared to other manufacturers springs. Also happen to have a local authorized dealer near me, having them installed tomorrow. Took about two months to get them in.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Andy, during your R&D for your RCE Yellows did you find that anything softer than a 4.5k rate in the front caused this issue? If so, are you concerned that every other spring on this list at -.8 in the front and less than 4.5k will be riding the bump stops and understeering under hard cornering? That's basically every manufacturer not named RaceComp Enginerring. To me that would be too many Mfgs that missed this simple point during their R&D.
We just saw things get better and more closely match our design goals with firmer front springs. I can't speak for other manufacturers, but perhaps they had different goals.

I do think some of them are pretty good, but we obviously like ours the best. We just prefer how our springs handle when pushed and when approaching the limits of the vehicle. Handling and ride were our primary focus...looks was not really a concern.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-05-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
SurfAndSand
8SiX

Drives: FRS 10series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have access to testing equipment or even track time as much as some manufacturers and teams, but I worry about putting such stiff springs on my stock struts. Sounds like they'll wear through their life pretty quickly. I'm definitely not a racer, so I doubt I'll appreciate the RCE springs as much as someone who will make use of them for their intended use.

Seeing as how the RS*R springs are cheaper than the Swift springs, I went down that direction.

Here's hoping they work out for me. I actually plan on leaving the car at stock height for a while. I want to see if I can appreciate the difference in the springs or if my butt can't tell.
SurfAndSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Installed the RS*R Superdown's today initial impressions are:

Ride Height/Appearance: Moderate drop, this is closer to where the factory should've set the car at (I know, bumper regs, etc.). The car should settle slightly lower. No problem on speed-bumps or drive-ways whatsoever so far.

Ride Quality: Ride is much better on smooth pavement. Feels initially softer, but gets progressively stiffer pretty quick. For this reason longitudinal bumps (expansion joints, etc.) are more pronounced. That's pretty much expected for any spring that will do double duty DD and track.

Handling:
Not much time to check it out, but did hit a few freeway off/on ramps and tight corners in the dead industrial areas in O.C. I can say that the car's initial turn-in is much improved. It has greatly improved steady state cornering, but still maintains its factory character (FR-S balanced to oversteer). The car communicates even more through both the steering wheel and seat of the pants and is still very easy to adjust mid-corner.

Basically, it feels more Racecar and less GT. Here's a pic.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
aggsone (04-07-2015), Marrk (08-02-2013), nocurfew (08-02-2013), SurfAndSand (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
did you add spacers?
hanabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
stefmiesterb

Drives: B8 A5
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
where can you get the RS*R springs?
stefmiesterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
nocurfew

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefmiesterb View Post
where can you get the RS*R springs?
I emailed them, info@rs-r.com

I just picked these up from their shop in Santa Ana. Can't wait to get these installed!
nocurfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
86Toyobaru

Drives: 86 & GRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have installed Ti-2000 RSR on my 08STi for 5 years. Excellent spring. I will get one for my 86 for sure.
86Toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
86Toyobaru

Drives: 86 & GRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Found some picture

RSR super down

RSR down

86Toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86Toyobaru For This Useful Post:
KKaWing (08-04-2013), newports (03-20-2014)