follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #29
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg8780 View Post
3 sir!
Wait, what comes after 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
ntron1
Sarcastic Bastard

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ, '13 Mini, 1999 Blazer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2 and a half?
Old 09-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #31
448hpsti
In Test:Oil Fed SC

Drives: Vortech Prototype Test Car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I asked ecutek, nothing can be done about it, at the moment
448hpsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 AM   #32
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Once the number ninety three, being the ninety third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Cruise Control of Japan towards thou highway, who being void of law enforcement, shall snuff it. Amen.

I had my Tiburon's cruise control set at 130mph for about 30 minutes, uninterrupted, one time. Take that.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony For This Useful Post:
DoomsdayJesus (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #33
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What's cruise control?! (Seriously, mine could be completely broken and I wouldn't know about it for years.). Ok, it's good on the highway when you don't want to worry about getting caught speeding - just set it 3-4 above the limit and let it cruise - but usually I try to be second fastest on the highway, with varying speeds, so cruise doesn't do much for me except probably get me a speeding ticket.

In town? Just leave it in the wrong gear - ie, too high so you can't accelerate fast or too low so your rev to 6,000 rpm if you're above the limit. You'll know either way. Oh, and these cars have a DIGITAL READOUT of your speed, so it's easy to glance and know exactly how fast you're going.

As for not being able to set it above 90 - probably a safety feature so if you fall asleep with the cruise control on, you're "only" crashing at 90 max, instead of possibly 130 or something. At triple digits you should be pretty focused on your driving anyways, including monitoring your speed - but I understand the leg fatigue that can set in after many hours on the road. (I drove 500 mile trips twice a month for 6 years on the east coast - none of my cars had cruise control, or even AC for that matter. One car did have a tape player - my pickup I had a portable radio next to my seat for tunes.)
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #34
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
The cruise control stops at 4k RPM, and in sixth gear, that means about 93 mph.

I don't remember if the cruise control is RPM limited in every gear, but I'm fairly certain it is. Which is probably why the OP could not exceed 69 mph, as fifth gear at 4k RPM is likely around that speed.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #35
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You may want to travel more and see the Unites States if you haven't already. Ever drive thru:
North Dakota and Montana on I 94 ? How about
South Dakota and Minnesota? 0n I-90 ? or
I-80 thru Nebraska and Iowa ?
Then there's Texas as well as many other opportunities to use cruise control on 400 to 700 mile daily drives.
Sure, one can fall asleep, cruise control or not, but it is certainly less fatiguing. At least that is what I have found and with motorcycling as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
What's cruise control?! (Seriously, mine could be completely broken and I wouldn't know about it for years.). Ok, it's good on the highway when you don't want to worry about getting caught speeding - just set it 3-4 above the limit and let it cruise - but usually I try to be second fastest on the highway, with varying speeds, so cruise doesn't do much for me except probably get me a speeding ticket.

In town? Just leave it in the wrong gear - ie, too high so you can't accelerate fast or too low so your rev to 6,000 rpm if you're above the limit. You'll know either way. Oh, and these cars have a DIGITAL READOUT of your speed, so it's easy to glance and know exactly how fast you're going.

As for not being able to set it above 90 - probably a safety feature so if you fall asleep with the cruise control on, you're "only" crashing at 90 max, instead of possibly 130 or something. At triple digits you should be pretty focused on your driving anyways, including monitoring your speed - but I understand the leg fatigue that can set in after many hours on the road. (I drove 500 mile trips twice a month for 6 years on the east coast - none of my cars had cruise control, or even AC for that matter. One car did have a tape player - my pickup I had a portable radio next to my seat for tunes.)
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZfan For This Useful Post:
Guff (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #36
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
You may want to travel more and see the Unites States if you haven't already. Ever drive thru:
North Dakota and Montana on I 94 ? How about
South Dakota and Minnesota? 0n I-90 ? or
I-80 thru Nebraska and Iowa ?
Then there's Texas as well as many other opportunities to use cruise control on 400 to 700 mile daily drives.
Sure, one can fall asleep, cruise control or not, but it is certainly less fatiguing. At least that is what I have found and with motorcycling as well.
Sound like some great stretches of roadway! You've convinced me - forget the canyon and ocean side roads of Southern California - I want to drive through Nebraska!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #37
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
Sound like some great stretches of roadway! You've convinced me - forget the canyon and ocean side roads of Southern California - I want to drive through Nebraska!
I think you have missed the point at the expense of saying too much.

I have ridden and driven the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) as well as many other parts of northern and southern California canyonways numerous times but rarely with cruise control, the subject at hand.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZfan For This Useful Post:
Guff (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #38
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
I think you have missed the point at the expense of saying too much.

I have ridden and driven the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) as well as many other parts of northern and southern California canyonways numerous times but rarely with cruise control, the subject at hand.
Nah - I got ya. I'd definitely need cruise control if driving through a flat boring state. Just responding to the "you need to get out more" - no thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #39
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
The cruise control stops at 4k RPM, and in sixth gear, that means about 93 mph.
What the damn!? That's... That's... It's just so typical of the way modern cars are made. Sure I will probably never have a chance to set cruise on an unlimited speed road, but I still want the capability just in case!

As a teen, I dialed my E30's cruise control up to 120mph and had a most memorable jaunt through the mountains of North Carolina.

Nowadays you probably get sent to a maximum security prison for such things.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Anthony (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #40
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
What the damn!? That's... That's... It's just so typical of the way modern cars are made. Sure I will probably never have a chance to set cruise on an unlimited speed road, but I still want the capability just in case!

As a teen, I dialed my E30's cruise control up to 120mph and had a most memorable jaunt through the mountains of North Carolina.

Nowadays you probably get sent to a maximum security prison for such things.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you should be able to change that setting the same time as you are doing any tuning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #41
JonnyRocket
"New hotness"

Drives: WRB Limited MT BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Actually you can get it down to 23 in my experience but it doesn't like to engage below 25 unless conditions are just right in my experience.

6th gear at 35 mph is my favorite, thing shows ~50 mpg on the instant gauge although it sounds like a diesel truck.
So you're at what, 1200-1300 rpm or thereabouts? That 'diesel' sound is you lugging your engine. Not good for long term durability dude.

Replaced with a 2013 Mazdaspeed3!
JonnyRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #42
Khazzy

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
set to 85 driving through Iowa on my way to Michigan.