follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #57
tinma

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Heard the same noise again today.... I have no idea what it is... And having the car in neutral makes me question it even more...
tinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #58
Mango22
Winter is Coming

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Had this issue w/ my cooper S. turned out being the flywheel

https://www.google.com/search?q=flyw...&client=safari
Mango22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #59
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pscylo View Post
Yup during engine braking at low RPM in low gears is when I hear the grrrrrrrrrr....reminds me of metal rolling on sandy pavement. Usually in the parking lot at work and in my apartments because low speeds are required and as soon as I let off the gas and the engine starts to brake, the noise kicks in.

The setup, engine, and injection system are all new to me, so I have been paying serious attention to everything that happens from day 1, and usually research things I hear that I do not recognize.
this is exactly what i am hearing. i thought it was my front-pipe installed.
I am still confusing whether this is air passing sound but reading this thread makes me that sound is very similar to mine. i also hear this sound put into neutral when slowing down.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #60
PabloN

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, M/T argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
losing my marbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
I'm getting what sounds like someone poured a jar of marbles in my gearbox when decelerating in 4th gear.
My FR-S with manual transmission (3K miles) has been making the same "loose marbles" sound intermittently for the last few weeks when decelerating in gear (for sure in 4th, and maybe other gears). It lasts for a second or two and only when the car's fully warmed up. The sound reminded me of valvetrain clatter on a car I once had before the oil got circulationg but I can't locate it--the other posts indicate transmission or clutch. Sure would like to know if it's serious or just another sound I need to get used to (like the crickets).

Last edited by PabloN; 07-22-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: clarification
PabloN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #61
Pscylo

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have driven this car 1720 miles straight without letting it cool 4 times now, and the gears still sound like this lol...They haven't gotten worse, although, once heat soak sets in, the gears are audible while cruising.

There is a rattle from the shifter area that the dealer says was something under the hood cause it takes alot of driving to replicate and I won't let them drive my car for 6 hours to get it to do it, even though there is a TSB out for it.

There is the clutch rattle when depressing in low speeds with engine breaking in progress.

There is the loud gears that sound all metallic as hell.

And there is a flywheel rattle that I hear on harder acceleration.
Pscylo is offline   Reply With Quote