follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southeast

Southeast AR, AL, GA, FL, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
UNCC_BRZ

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
NC emmisions

I am looking into buying a header, curious for the other NC owners out there what you run, do you run a catless header and a stock front pipe? Does that pass emissions testing?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Sc10n277

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have been wondering about this myself. I was thinking of getting a catted header.

On a side note, do you go to UNCC?
Sc10n277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Readytoxplod
Tire Destroyer

Drives: Firestorm+snail
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You have to have a muffler and at least one cat I am pretty sure and they just do a visual test and check for engine lights (which would fail it)? Correct me if I'm wrong. A lot of shops around here don't look under it with mirrors or jack it up if it's a newer car, also talk to some car buddies to try and find a more relaxed shop, it's kinda illegal but most car guys know a guy. Mine passed at a regular shop when I had a catless header and catback, but I had no engine lights pop up and still had the stock front pipe (which has a cat and resonator, our cars have 2 cats). I now have a straight 3" catless turbo-back now and passed but I know a guy.
UNCC_BRZ (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
UNCC_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc10n277 View Post
I have been wondering about this myself. I was thinking of getting a catted header.

On a side note, do you go to UNCC?
I do, but I am doing an internship this semester and am not taking classes. I will be back in class in the fall.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
UNCC_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytoxplod View Post
You have to have a muffler and at least one cat I am pretty sure and they just do a visual test and check for engine lights (which would fail it)? Correct me if I'm wrong. A lot of shops around here don't look under it with mirrors or jack it up if it's a newer car, also talk to some car buddies to try and find a more relaxed shop, it's kinda illegal but most car guys know a guy. Mine passed at a regular shop when I had a catless header and catback, but I had no engine lights pop up and still had the stock front pipe (which has a cat and resonator, our cars have 2 cats). I now have a straight 3" catless turbo-back now and passed but I know a guy.
I have a code reader, so i could theoretically just clear the code right before the inspection...now I wonder if my borla cat back will get me in trouble, since it deletes the resonator and muffler and just has a (very) small muffler.....
Old 04-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Sc10n277

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCC_BRZ View Post
I do, but I am doing an internship this semester and am not taking classes. I will be back in class in the fall.
Oh ok, I was wondering why I hadn't seen a wrb around campus, I'm graduating in May.
Sc10n277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have a code reader, so i could theoretically just clear the code right before the inspection...now I wonder if my borla cat back will get me in trouble, since it deletes the resonator and muffler and just has a (very) small muffler.....

It doesn't affect the cat's, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'd suggest knowing what is, and is not NC legal on your car, so if you don't pass, you know where you stand.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #8
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Removing cats isn't something that is a state issue, its a federal issue and technically you are not allowed to replace or remove ANY cat on your car unless it has failed according to the EPA. In addition, to be allowed to replace a cat the following must be true:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

All that being said, clearly most people who modify cars fail to follow these laws and potentially open themselves up to a nightmare of issues.

Now to the meat and potatoes of NC law.
If you fail a visual inspection due to tampering with a catalytic converter your car will be flagged and you have to have it reinspected by the SAME place or you risk having DMV show up both at the place that reinspected your vehicle and passed it after it was failed by a different place AND your place to inspect the vehicle to ensure it meets the requirements. There have been several documented examples of this occurring.

Personally I had my BRZ failed on visual inspection for failing to have a cat in the header. The tech saw both O2 sensors and no cat in between them and failed it immediately regardless of the fact that it passed the ODB 2 electronic inspection due to my tune turning off the CEL. I was flagged and I had to replace my header before I could get it inspected again.

Will this happen to you? Maybe, maybe not. Just be aware that it could happen and be ready to replace whatever header you put on with the stock header for re-inspection. I've found that the mom and pop inspection places are much more relaxed when it comes to these types of inspections and the retail chain stores are quite likely to catch it and fail your inspection.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malt For This Useful Post:
MightyMeeple (04-06-2016), mixtape (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
mixtape
Posts in the nude

Drives: 2016 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Nice to see another WRB in Charlotte.

From what I know, they do not pay attention to mufflers/resonators (or lack thereof) as long as the noise is within limits of reason. They will visually inspect the exhaust for cat presence and tampering, and whether the O2 sensors return any errors or not in the OBDII. If you get a catless header (which I am planning to do) you can use something an O2 defouler to better your chances in sneaking past them.

"Lesbian trees have no wood." - Scoobs McGee
mixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
@Malt thanks for your detailed response...I've been thinking about upgrading my header and you may have convinced me to go with a catted header after all.

How are you liking the WRX?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #11
Gunman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Now to the meat and potatoes of NC law.
If you fail a visual inspection due to tampering with a catalytic converter your car will be flagged and you have to have it reinspected by the SAME place or you risk having DMV show up both at the place that reinspected your vehicle and passed it after it was failed by a different place AND your place to inspect the vehicle to ensure it meets the requirements. There have been several documented examples of this occurring.
Interesting. I failed an inspection for window tint. I knew it was legal, but the first place I took it too failed my windshield because it has a clear IR film, and they claimed "no tint allowed", and that it metered 78%, and windshields had to be clear.

My tint shop said that was incorrect, and gave me the law info, and I found the details on the AS1 spec, that the lower "clear" portion of the glass has to meet (70% or above to meet the spec). The tint shop suggested I pick a new inspection place, and try again, and if it failed there, to let them address the issue. I passed. I'm curious if the DMV will even notice, to question why I passed a day later?

I know I'm legal, just curious.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #12
Malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
Interesting. I failed an inspection for window tint. I knew it was legal, but the first place I took it too failed my windshield because it has a clear IR film, and they claimed "no tint allowed", and that it metered 78%, and windshields had to be clear.

My tint shop said that was incorrect, and gave me the law info, and I found the details on the AS1 spec, that the lower "clear" portion of the glass has to meet (70% or above to meet the spec). The tint shop suggested I pick a new inspection place, and try again, and if it failed there, to let them address the issue. I passed. I'm curious if the DMV will even notice, to question why I passed a day later?

I know I'm legal, just curious.
In North Carolina Tint on windshields is only allowed to extend 5 inches or to the AS1 line, whichever is longer. Full tint on the windshield is only allowed if you have a medical exemption that requires a form to be submitted to the DMV which is completed by a doctor. Not sure why your tint shop says that tint on windshields is allowed but they are mistaken, even if it is completely clear.

http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/in...dowtinting.pdf

As for being inspected by a DMV visit, its possible. If they do come to test you after being failed for tint at one shop but passed by the other then you may have to pay a fine and the shop that passed you is going to get hit with a massive fine and lose their ability to do inspections. Will it happen? Maybe...
Old 04-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
Malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMeeple View Post
@Malt thanks for your detailed response...I've been thinking about upgrading my header and you may have convinced me to go with a catted header after all.

How are you liking the WRX?
A catted header isn't going to absolve you from the requirements of having a plated and certified aftermarket Cat. To my knowledge there are absolutely zero aftermarket performance oriented cat replacements that meet EPA requirements and that doesn't even address the fact that it is technically illegal to replace a functioning cat to begin with, especially if its still under the emissions warranty from the manufacturer.

Honestly, if you want to replace the header just go catlesss since both a catted and catless header are equally illegal and one offers substantial gains over the other one. Just find a mom and pop shop to do your inspection and you'll most likely have no issues. If the inspector wants to be a hardass, like the one I had, be ready to put the stock one back on for inspection and put the header back on like a week later after the risk of a DMV inspection has passed.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...le9070838.html

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...le9070853.html

If you fail an inspection and pass it somewhere else the very same day you just might get a visit. Food for thought

EDIT:
I'm loving the WRX for the extra room as putting three dogs in the BRZ was getting tiresome. The extra power is great but part of me misses the handling of the BRZ. If I could have kept both I would have as I firmly believe the BRZ was the more fun car to drive daily.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #14
Gunman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Will it happen? Maybe...
Let it, I'm legal
http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statu...statute=20-127
Quote:
however, an untinted clear film which does not obstruct vision but which reduces or eliminates ultraviolet radiation from entering a vehicle may be applied to the windshield.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
Malt (04-07-2016)