follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2023, 03:03 PM   #1
TurboLag23

Drives: 2018 BRZ w/Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jackson Racing DROC - Leaky AN Fitting

Hey all!

I have installed a Jackson Racing DROC in my BRZ, and have been chasing a very faint oil leak on the lower radiator-side AN fitting for the past couple months.

As a note - Jackson Racing's customer support has been phenomenal at attempting to address this issue so far! I sent pictures of the aluminum tapered section of the fitting in question (radiator-side), and noted some minor scratching. They have sent out an additional radiator, on suspicion that the scratches may be causing the leak, but the replacements had similar levels of scratching (which - I want to stress - is very minor! Barely able to be felt with a fingernail). As such, I've opted to find a fix for the radiator currently installed if possible.

I have attempted to use a SECO-7 seal for a -10AN to stifle the leaking. I trimmed the cylindrical portion to size to clear the male threads on the radiator, and installed on the lower fitting. I ordered multiple to use one as a sacrificial test piece; this is what the deformity pattern looked like (images at end; note that I did a better job at trimming the edges on the one I actually used )

During a normal heat cycle (engine coolant and oil warmed to ~90C in low-speed driving under 2500 RPM in first gear), the underside of the fitting still has a small amount of oil built up on it (less than was present without the seal). For reference, it's probably less than 1/5 drop - barely enough to show up on a paper towel - but still present.

Is this level of leaking something to be worried about, and if so what is a potential fix?

Thanks!
Attached Images

TurboLag23 is offline   Reply With Quote