follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2021, 02:38 PM   #1
DoubleAKash

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ - JDL Turbo Kit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Single vs. dual resonated front pipe

Hi all,

I wanted to get some opinions before ordering a new front pipe. I'm going with the JDL front pipe but I'm deciding between just a single resonated front pipe vs dual resonated

My current setup:
JDL Catless UEL
Stock Front Pipe
2.5" resonated Perrin catback

I love the tone right now but want something slightly louder but not raspy or drony. The cat in my front pipe at the moment is kinda going so I figured might as well just for a nicer quality pipe.

Will nuking the cat in the front pipe make the car significantly louder?
Is there a huge difference between single vs dual resonated? the perrin exhaust is already resonated
DoubleAKash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #2
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I'd go double resonated. There isn't much difference between single and dual, but a double would be better reducing the drone and rasp. Either that, or a FP with a High Flow Cat.
DoubleAKash (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
DoubleAKash

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ - JDL Turbo Kit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I'd go double resonated. There isn't much difference between single and dual, but a double would be better reducing the drone and rasp. Either that, or a FP with a High Flow Cat.
thank you, I figured there wasn't that big of a difference I think I'm just going to order the dual resonated pipe
DoubleAKash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I had hks double res FP it eventually cracked at a weld, then I took oem front pipe and a a crowbar and smashed the cat out. They did sound slightly different. Both sounded great. Neither droned or rasped. In the end I think smashing out cats on oem is the way to go. It’s free after all, sounds great, and nets 100% of the gains to be had.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Definitely dual resonated!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:29 AM   #6
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Dual HKS last version with new type welds here (first version welds failed), almost OEM noise but did a difference in the torque curve
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIM THEO For This Useful Post:
Thefalls (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 02:50 AM   #7
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,064 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
dual hks is quieter also because is smaller with 60,5 mm
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:14 AM   #8
scion fr-s

Drives: 2017 PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My HKS resonated FP cracked at the welds. I am looking into JDL Dual resonated FP!
scion fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #9
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scion fr-s View Post
My HKS resonated FP cracked at the welds. I am looking into JDL Dual resonated FP!
I had the circuit werks dual resonated frontpipe and quality was amazing.

Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:12 AM   #10
scion fr-s

Drives: 2017 PP BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
I had the circuit werks dual resonated frontpipe and quality was amazing.

Are you still running it? Have you had any problems with the welds, cracks, or leaking?
scion fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:03 AM   #11
jono.brz

Drives: 2012 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
Dual HKS last version with new type welds here (first version welds failed), almost OEM noise but did a difference in the torque curve
At the moment I am running Tomei UEL catless header, stock overpipe, front pipe and HKS Hi-power Spec L catback with titanium tip. Idk about other people but it drones like hell from 2k-5k rpm especially under load (e.g. holding ur accelerator while going uphill) . I was looking into the hks dual resonated front pipe, just wondering how different did you find it vs oem front pipe in terms of volume and drone? And if your hks front pipe cracked at all? (saw a lot of people complaining of that issue) Thanks!
jono.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono.brz View Post
At the moment I am running Tomei UEL catless header, stock overpipe, front pipe and HKS Hi-power Spec L catback with titanium tip. Idk about other people but it drones like hell from 2k-5k rpm especially under load (e.g. holding ur accelerator while going uphill) . I was looking into the hks dual resonated front pipe, just wondering how different did you find it vs oem front pipe in terms of volume and drone? And if your hks front pipe cracked at all? (saw a lot of people complaining of that issue) Thanks!

I'm running a Spec L also, and I'll have to tell you, your issue has to do with hangers. This is where it gets fun. Check out this thread https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143514
It basically discusses how JDM hangers (BECAUSE JDM BRO) are way better at reducing cabin vibrations and drone. I bought all 5 from Nengun and the vibration/Drone was reduced by 80% or so. This is while running a full exhaust with catted UEL headers and Double Res FP rom HKS.
The older versions of HKS products do tend to crack, but it was fixed on the newer generations. I haven't had any issues with any of my HKS products so far.

The thing about those hangers, is that now their lead times are about two months, I think we depleted the hanger stock in Japan.

Get on the line now before the news of those hangers make their way to social media and people do really start going nuts. I know it sucks because it is a nice sounding exhaust, it does drone like hell at lower rpms or going uphill, but those hangers do work.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:21 PM   #13
jono.brz

Drives: 2012 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I'm running a Spec L also, and I'll have to tell you, your issue has to do with hangers. This is where it gets fun. Check out this thread https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143514
It basically discusses how JDM hangers (BECAUSE JDM BRO) are way better at reducing cabin vibrations and drone. I bought all 5 from Nengun and the vibration/Drone was reduced by 80% or so. This is while running a full exhaust with catted UEL headers and Double Res FP rom HKS.
The older versions of HKS products do tend to crack, but it was fixed on the newer generations. I haven't had any issues with any of my HKS products so far.

The thing about those hangers, is that now their lead times are about two months, I think we depleted the hanger stock in Japan.

Get on the line now before the news of those hangers make their way to social media and people do really start going nuts. I know it sucks because it is a nice sounding exhaust, it does drone like hell at lower rpms or going uphill, but those hangers do work.
That's very interesting! Are those hangers originally made for the STI axleback or is it on all the 86/BRZ from Japan? Because I imported my car from Japan so I wonder if they had the same hangers as the US market. Also how come the price on Nengun is way more expensive than any other websites i looked (e.g. ebay, blackhawkjapan etc)
jono.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #14
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono.brz View Post
That's very interesting! Are those hangers originally made for the STI axleback or is it on all the 86/BRZ from Japan? Because I imported my car from Japan so I wonder if they had the same hangers as the US market. Also how come the price on Nengun is way more expensive than any other websites i looked (e.g. ebay, blackhawkjapan etc)

I want to say its just Subaru Japan thing. But that is interesting, you car might already have them, I would check. When I got them it was $6 each. But if you can find them cheaper, same part number, go for that. Some people are going Blackhawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk