follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #15
4n0m41y

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After doing some research, and taking everyone's answers into consideration. I went with an FT86 UEL catted header (should be here today), and will leave the rest alone for the time being. My primary reason for doing this was to eliminate the torque dip and from what I've found the rest of the exhaust has little to no effect.

Going to just have the dealer throw the header on when I take it in for a clutch next month (oem flywheel, exedy stage 1). Then down the road if I feel like messing with the rest of the exhaust I'll just hit it up piece by piece.

Appreciate all the replies!
4n0m41y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #16
AsphaltJ

Drives: FR-S '15 Asphalt/Legacy GT '05 Blck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n0m41y View Post

Going to just have the dealer throw the header on when I take it in for a clutch next month (oem flywheel, exedy stage 1).
Appreciate all the replies!
If you have other option, don't go to the dealer for those things. The car is pretty easy to work with and it will cost you way more at the dealer. Just my 2cents.

PS. You might consider adding the Verus fork when you change the clutch and be sure to provide the latest version of the throw out bearing (TOB).

Last edited by AsphaltJ; 04-15-2021 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Addin info
AsphaltJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AsphaltJ For This Useful Post:
ninjan00dles (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 01:11 PM   #17
4n0m41y

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltJ View Post
If you have other option, don't go to the dealer for those things. The car is pretty easy to work with and it will cost you way more at the dealer. Just my 2cents.
If I had a place to do it, where I could throw it up on jack stands and take my time I most certainly would. It's been almost a decade since I've turned a wrench but back in the day I was into it pretty hard. I had 3 talons, and a vr4 galant, only one was in driving condition when I got it. Two of those didn't have engines or trannies...man...I could still probably tell you bolt size and thread pitch of everything on one of those (minus the rear-difs, never actually had to mess with any of those).

Where I'm at now though it just makes more sense to take it to the dealer and have them do it. I've got the expendable income...so being charged for it doesn't bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltJ View Post
PS. You might consider adding the Verus fork when you change the clutch and be sure to provide the latest version of the throw out bearing (TOB).
OMG thank you for mentioning this! I had no idea the oem shift fork was made so cheaply...wow. Will for sure grab one of these forged bad boys.

Clutch kit looks to come with a TOB, so should be good on that end.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #18
ninjan00dles

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n0m41y View Post
If I had a place to do it, where I could throw it up on jack stands and take my time I most certainly would. It's been almost a decade since I've turned a wrench but back in the day I was into it pretty hard. I had 3 talons, and a vr4 galant, only one was in driving condition when I got it. Two of those didn't have engines or trannies...man...I could still probably tell you bolt size and thread pitch of everything on one of those (minus the rear-difs, never actually had to mess with any of those).

Where I'm at now though it just makes more sense to take it to the dealer and have them do it. I've got the expendable income...so being charged for it doesn't bother me.

OMG thank you for mentioning this! I had no idea the oem shift fork was made so cheaply...wow. Will for sure grab one of these forged bad boys.

Clutch kit looks to come with a TOB, so should be good on that end.
The kits sometimes come with old TOBs. Cheap insurance to make sure you get the right part installed ($30). I just had the same exedy stage 1 kit with verus clutch fork + pivot installed and the clutch feels great now.

I also owned a 91 GS 95 GST 95 GSX and 97 GSX
ninjan00dles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #19
4n0m41y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjan00dles View Post
The kits sometimes come with old TOBs. Cheap insurance to make sure you get the right part installed ($30)
Makes sense

Quote:
I also owned a 91 GS 95 GST 95 GSX and 97 GSX
Definitely fun cars once you get them lined out...until the transmission goes out...because it will...multiple times
Old 04-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #20
4n0m41y

Additional silly question...Are they going to drain the gear oil out of the tranny before they drop it (replaced it a few years ago with motul)? I'm unfamiliar with these transmissions so idk if it's necessary (used to have to drain dsm trannies cause they'd leak oil out of the front diff). If so, I'll grab some more motul as well.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:59 PM   #21
ninjan00dles

Drives: 2015 FRS
Yeah those cars were a nutcase

No tranny flush, just decouple the driveshaft. DSMs would drain of out of the front axles when you pop them out right? It’s been awhile
ninjan00dles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #22
4n0m41y

Quote:
Yeah those cars were a nutcase

No tranny flush, just decouple the driveshaft. DSMs would drain of out of the front axles when you pop them out right? It’s been awhile
lol, yeah there and if awd the transfer case would leak once you slid out the driveshaft. I remember always specifically storing those vertically.