follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 AM   #155
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
And I caveat emptored what context that statement was made in. I also pointed out in what ways the 86's AT is inferior and superior to the MT in the 86.

Is there a single type of auto tranny that is superior?? Sure.. A dual clutch or a clutched start sequential is the most superior trans type out there today.

Are there auto's that are traditional style that are superior? For drag, absolutely.

With modern paddle shift traditional AT trannies, there are literally no performance inferiorities except launching and 'fun'(which is subjective) when WHP is equal.

Jaden
Who cares, Jaden?

AT drivers will drive theirs cars and love em and MT drivers will do the same. WTH are you trying to prove will all this crap?!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #156
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Will it keep the gear engaged when off throttle or does it go neutral when lifting the way a traditional auto does.
You can engine brake with it, even in auto mode, I do this just about every day.

Quote:
If your in 6th and triple tap down, will it go directly to 3rd or does it drop one gear at a time?
It goes directly to the gear selected if done quickly enough. I double-tap all the time, don't know I've ever triple-tapped.

Quote:
How well does it rev match? For example from 2nd to 1st at 25mph, can it do that without a jolt?
Not tried it at 25mph specifically but no jolt on downshifting that I can perceive as long as you do it within a reasonable range.

Quote:
Looking on YouTube it looks like it up shifts after about 500ms and downshifts after about 750ms. 500ms is fine for an upshift. Timing on an upshift isn’t all that important anyways. 750ms before downshifting is a tad slow IMO. But not bad. It’s hard to judge how well it rev matches or if it engine brakes from watching YouTube videos.
Maybe my internal clock is a bit slower but I detect no level of delay between telling it to downshift and the transmission downshifting. It certainly does it faster then I could ever do it manually.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (02-01-2018), Tcoat (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #157
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Still a straw man. He said exactly the opposite of what you claimed.

Still confirmation bias. You're completely blind to the part of his post that doesn't fit with what you want to see.

Too bad.
LOL you highlight the middle of the sentence, ignore the last part and then state that I am blind to the parts I don't want to see? The sentence ends in exactly what I claimed.

If your whole contribution to this is going to consist of sitting back and dismissively yelling "straw man", "confirmation bias" and "blind" because you disagree then I am just wasting time presenting a different viewpoint. If this is your debate technique you should go into politics. I understand they can use such skills.
Dadhawk (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #158
Coachrhino11

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow, why the hell does AT/MT turn shitty regardless what forum I’m on? Here’s how I feel for what it’s worth...if one is happy and enjoys car, why does anyone else care at all? Shouldn’t everyone here driving a nice, fun car be supportive of other regardless of transmission choice?
The Following User Says Thank You to Coachrhino11 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #159
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL you highlight the middle of the sentence, ignore the last part and then state that I am blind to the parts I don't want to see? The sentence ends in exactly what I claimed.

If your whole contribution to this is going to consist of sitting back and dismissively yelling "straw man", "confirmation bias" and "blind" because you disagree then I am just wasting time presenting a different viewpoint. If this is your debate technique you should go into politics. I understand they can use such skills.
You implied that people who prefer MT over AT do it as if the tranny is the only part of driving. I specifically confirmed that the tranny is NOT the only aspect. There are a million cars with MT options that I wouldn't buy. But if all things are perfect about a car but it only offers an AT then I will not buy it. It isn't the only part of driving but it's a high enough priority to not buy a car. LSD is also very high on my list and would also sway me away from a car (E92 335). This is a silly argument though. The tranny could just as easily sway someone away from the car if only a MT was offered. Lucky for AT guys this is hardly a problem. There are only a handful of cars on the market today that fall into this category. STi, Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST/RS, Civic Si/Type-R, maybe a few others.

I will explain my who point for the millionth time (not for you but others). I am not saying MT is better than AT. I am simply saying "I" find the MT more fun even if I am compromising raw shifting speed (highly negligible) or convenience. My fear is that people that literally only factor the 1320, 0-60 or lap times into the equation are going to kill off the MT "option" for others. Many of these people can't honestly say whether the MT is more or less fun because they've never owned one. I just don't understand the point in cheerleading for the demise of the MT simply because you don't understand it or don't personally prefer it. I am not cheerleading for the demise of the AT, I simply don't want my preferred option to dry up. Kind of reminds me of atheist. Everyone needs to know they are an atheist. They rant all day long about how they don't like religion and they don't like religious people pushing their religion on others but they have no problem pushing their non-religion on others. Just let people live their own life. Sorry, the atheism thing is a sore subject for me. The league I simrace with has a large percentage of scandinavians and although I love them, they drive me nuts on Facebook with their constant flow of anti-religion posts. It just seems like a disease these days. People are so insecure with how they live their own life that they need to prove to everyone else that their way is the only way.

Sorry, to ramble. Hahaha
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #160
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachrhino11 View Post
Wow, why the hell does AT/MT turn shitty regardless what forum I’m on? Here’s how I feel for what it’s worth...if one is happy and enjoys car, why does anyone else care at all? Shouldn’t everyone here driving a nice, fun car be supportive of other regardless of transmission choice?
This ^
Old 02-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #161
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
s

Who cares, Jaden?

AT drivers will drive theirs cars and love em and MT drivers will do the same. WTH are you trying to prove will all this crap?!
He's got an ego clearly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #162
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
You can engine brake with it, even in auto mode, I do this just about every day.

It goes directly to the gear selected if done quickly enough. I double-tap all the time, don't know I've ever triple-tapped.

Not tried it at 25mph specifically but no jolt on downshifting that I can perceive as long as you do it within a reasonable range.

Maybe my internal clock is a bit slower but I detect no level of delay between telling it to downshift and the transmission downshifting. It certainly does it faster then I could ever do it manually.
Sounds like Toyota did a great job on this transmission. Especially considering it's not a dual clutch. In some ways it would have an advantage over a dual clutch speed wise because it wouldn't have that lag when switching to a gear that it didn't "predict" you were going to shift to. What I don't really understand though is why they didn't use the same ratios as the MT.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #163
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If your whole contribution to this is going to consist of sitting back and dismissively yelling "straw man", "confirmation bias" and "blind" because you disagree then I am just wasting time presenting a different viewpoint.
If you're going to continue to argue against imaginary claims the other side didn't make, I'm going to continue pointing out that you're using straw men. If you don't want to be called out for using straw men, don't make shit up to argue against, and certainly don't post quotes that show you're making shit up.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #164
Tcoat

Quote:
If you're going to continue to argue against imaginary claims the other side didn't make, I'm going to continue pointing out that you're using straw men. If you don't want to be called out for using straw men, don't make shit up to argue against, and certainly don't post quotes that show you're making shit up.
If your reading comprehension does not allow you to see the relevance of what I quoted that is not my fault nor make my points straw man.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #165
extrashaky

Quote:
If your reading comprehension does not allow you to see the relevance of what I quoted that is not my fault nor make my points straw man.
Correct. Making shit up is what makes them straw men.

Stop making shit up, no more straw men. Pretty simple really.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #166
Tcoat

Quote:
Correct. Making shit up is what makes them straw men.

Stop making shit up, no more straw men. Pretty simple really.
Please point out exactly what quotes I "made up". Apparently I am just too blind to see them.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #167
extrashaky

Quote:
Please point out exactly what quotes I "made up". Apparently I am just too blind to see them.
I already did that on page 11.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #168
Tcoat

Quote:
I already did that on page 11.
Ah yes. The use of part of the sentence and ignoring the end where my exact point was made. Not sure that counts as "making shit up".
Dadhawk (02-01-2018)

Closed Thread

Tags
automatic, why i bought