follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 12-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #463
Baldoak
BRZ N02

Drives: 2013 A/T Subaru BRZ Limited, SWP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
When you consider the vast difference in numbers between how many FRS were sold vs how many BRZs the Toyota techs may well have MORE experience than the Subaru ones when it comes to the recall work. Keep in mind that the FA20 engine was rather different than the rest of the engines in the recall so being a Subie tech would have little advantage when it comes to the failure mode. If proper time and care was taken either group would have exactly the same chance at success.
I'm not too familiar with how Toyota has been doing it, but it seems to me that most Subaru engine models use RTV to seal the entire block instead of pre-formed, traditional gaskets. That's the only reason I made my suggestion. Maybe Toyota does the same thing and their techs should be just as familiar with the process.

Custom handmade stickers
Baldoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:20 PM   #464
batgrrlx

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vehicle Mileage: 92586
Vehicle Make: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mileage After Recall Performed: First failure ~50 miles, second failure 10k miles.
Symptom(s): First go around - knocking, loss of throttle and power, headlights dimmed every time I came to a stop, dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Second go around - VERY loud knocking, power and throttle loss.
Failure: Dealer is stating rod bearing failure
State: WA
Is Dealership Offering Repair: First failure - Yes. Second failure - Currently working with the dealership (who has been amazing) and escalating to SOA. Car is covered by extended warranty but they have been difficult to work with.

Last edited by batgrrlx; 01-18-2022 at 07:07 PM.
batgrrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #465
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgrrlx View Post
Car is covered by extended warranty but they have been difficult to work with.
Wow, can't believe they're giving you shit even with extended warranty! let us know what transpires between SOA
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:11 AM   #466
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

Drives: '13 FRS & '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Vehicle Mileage: 90,351

Vehicle Make: Scion FRS

Mileage After Recall Performed: 88,927

Symptom(s): No symptoms

Failure: EGR Monitor Not Ready - Will Not pass Smog

State: CA

Is Dealership Offering Repair: Car has been at dealer since Jan 6th 2022. Have had push back regarding repairs, but dealer has worked with Toyota for "good will" parts replacement. So far, replaced ECU twice (good will), replaced CAT (i paid), replaced vvti timing gear (good will). Drive cycles performed by tech numerous times after each install with no luck. Was told engineers have given up on fixes, and recommended i take to State Ref to get an Exemption. State Ref, would not make an appointment and required that it be fixed prior to smog, Exemptions dont exist for readiness monitors in CA. Car is still sitting at dealership. Toyota denied a buyback/lemon law, claimed they have fixed all issues with car (since it drives). Clearly it wont pass smog, so car is NOT fixed! Which means, i cant drive the car, i cant sell the car, car is now worthless! Simultaneously working with Lemon Law Lawyers and dealership for fix. Biggest stress by far!

Update 8/18/22: Spoke to GM at dealership and was more than willing to get Toyota to be involved in this matter. Pushed for a quicker resolution as of 8/16/22, also another Engineer was on site working on my FRS. Today, 8/18, received an update, a step above the Toyota Master Tech & Engineer is on site working on the FRS. I should receive a call from the service advisor as well as GM regarding the outcome.

Please share like and comment, WE ALL NEED TO BE HEARD!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited by xxthrillxx; 08-20-2022 at 02:51 AM.
xxthrillxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xxthrillxx For This Useful Post:
bcj (08-08-2022), DAEMANO (08-25-2022), Tcoat (08-08-2022), Teseo (08-09-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 08:22 PM   #467
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Lol never heard of getting an exemption like that. Dealer just wants you to take your car and not come back apparently
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
xxthrillxx (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 06:04 PM   #468
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Lol never heard of getting an exemption like that. Dealer just wants you to take your car and not come back apparently
Thats exactly what they are doing. I had Toyota Corporate re-open a case for my car. I never picked up my car, State Ref didnt even want to give me an appointment, not something they do exemptions for.

Crossing my fingers they re-consider a buy back, if not I am going to make some noise on the internet.
The Following User Says Thank You to xxthrillxx For This Useful Post:
Decep (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 12:34 AM   #469
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
"Hey for some reason my car won't pass smog and i can't figure out, can you give me an exemption please? Pretty please?"

Fuckin balls on that dealership man. dumb
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
xxthrillxx (08-13-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 04:04 PM   #470
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriSD21 View Post
How much did your personal mechanic charge to replace the engine and how much mileage was on it? I’m in California and have two mechanics searching for engines for me, haven’t heard back in a week.

Vehicle Mileage:105,000 miles
Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mileage After Recall Performed: 7,000 miles. 11 months since Aug 2020.
Symptom(s): Rod knock.
Failure: Runs, but makes loud rattling noises. No check engine light. No oil light. Just loud knocking at start and throughout drive. Stopped driving it asap.
State: CA
Is Dealership Offering Repair: No, they kept my car for a week to diagnose, but technician denies that it has to do with the recall. They mentioned possible oil starvation, but they’re the ones who just did my oil change a month ago. Dealership said they would need to open the engine to diagnose further, but they would have to charge me “a couple thousand” just to take engine apart and asked if it’s even worth it to fix? He said it’d be $9k to replace the engine. I can’t afford that. Towed the car home with my insurance and it’s a sitting duck. I avoided the J02 recall until California mandated it and withheld my registration until I got it done. Car was running fine before this. Daily commuter car, never autocrossed, barely drove this year working from home due to covid. Same dealership did a multipoint inspection, oil change and coolant change June 2021. Bought and installed new tires as recommended. Rod knock July 2021. Waste of brand new tires. What can I do? Is the repair under 12 month warranty if they deny it’s related to the recall? How can I prove it is related? What else would it be? Should I run it up the food chain at the dealership? I feel helpless and stranded without my one and only car.
Did you ever get this resolved?

Old 08-24-2022, 12:25 AM   #471
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthrillxx View Post
Thats exactly what they are doing. I had Toyota Corporate re-open a case for my car. I never picked up my car, State Ref didnt even want to give me an appointment, not something they do exemptions for.

Crossing my fingers they re-consider a buy back, if not I am going to make some noise on the internet.
Are you tuned? Tunes can cause issues with the emissions system for smogging in Cali.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:48 AM   #472
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
Are you tuned? Tunes can cause issues with the emissions system for smogging in Cali.
Negative, its on stock map. Plus they changed the ECU twice at this point.

Its all good, dealer bought the car. Issue remains unresolved

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xxthrillxx For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (08-27-2022), bcj (08-24-2022), Dadhawk (08-24-2022), Teseo (04-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #473
belacyrf

Drives: 1990 Mazda Miata - Looking at FRS
Vehicle Mileage: 8700 (yes that's right 8700)
Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mileage After Recall Performed: 6900
Symptom(s): Loud knocking, loss of power, no CEL or catastrophic failures
Failure: Bent Rod / Broken Piston slapping the head

State: North Carolina
Is Dealership Offering Repair:No

Turns out the recall was completed, and then 2000 miles later Cain Toyota logged that they replaced the crank/rod/bearings on the car. So I suspect 2K miles before it blew after the recall. Now less than 500 miles the engine blew again. The engine builder stated that no dealership would ever just replace the crank, rod, and bearings as it would never work. But that's what is in the service log

No open recalls, so the recall has been performed, just don't know when.

Last edited by belacyrf; 09-12-2022 at 12:43 PM.
belacyrf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belacyrf For This Useful Post:
xxthrillxx (09-08-2022)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:03 PM   #474
freakystyley

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (hot lava)
I've read threads in this forum before but registered to make this post

Vehicle Mileage: 64k miles
Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FR-S, unmodded
Mileage After Recall Performed: somewhere around 20k, I think... I'd have to check the paperwork
Symptom(s): engine knock started while highway, got worse, 45 minutes later I was at the dealer in a "do not drive" car
Failure: spun bearing, and low oil. (I was about 1000 miles past my oil change mileage and the oil was very low; they keep trying to pin that as the reason, which I know is wrong; for a car that tells me when my tire pressure is low, I'm not willing to believe that my oil could get low enough to blow the engine without some light flashing at me)
State: car originally sold in MA; I bought it in CA, imported it to Canada, now in BC
Is Dealership Offering Repair: hell no. they quoted me $21k to replace the engine.

This is a weird one because it seems my car should have blown up about twenty thousand miles ago. I did the recall repair in 2019, had to in order to import it, and then drove it up the coast to Canada 4-6 months later.

It makes sense now why the GM of the dealership came out to chat with me about the failure. I figured it was bcs of the huge proposed repair cost.

Now I decide if I want another potentially bad engine just to keep the car. This is bullshit.

Last edited by freakystyley; 04-03-2023 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typos, clarity, and fixing the mileage question
freakystyley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:16 PM   #475
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyley View Post
. . .
Failure: spun bearing, and low oil. (I was about 1000 miles past my oil change mileage and the oil was very low; they keep trying to pin that as the reason, which I know is wrong)
. . .
Hate to say it, but you probably killed it by not keeping up on basic maintenance.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (04-04-2023), Opie (04-21-2023), Teseo (04-03-2023), Ultramaroon (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 04:47 AM   #476
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyley View Post
Failure: spun bearing, and low oil. (I was about 1000 miles past my oil change mileage and the oil was very low; they keep trying to pin that as the reason, which I know is wrong; for a car that tells me when my tire pressure is low, I'm not willing to believe that my oil could get low enough to blow the engine without some light flashing at me)
Nope, you get no warning. There is an oil pressure warning light, but usually when that comes on it's to inform you that shit is already bad. The recall is very far behind you and people who blow up from it do so very very quickly.

I don't understand this. If you're past your mileage, and you know it, why would you not at least check the oil level so it's not low? You did this to yourself.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Opie (04-21-2023), Ultramaroon (04-08-2023)

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring