follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #127
Guzic
Clean as F86ck

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Consider using this Meguiar's Formulated "Black Wax" Amazon.com: Meguiar's G6207 Black Wax Paste - 7 oz.: Automotive

Uses a lot of polishing oils to fill in scratches, really helps on the bumper and hood area that takes a lot of hits and small scratches. I know I have to wax the front bumper of my GBS color to fill in all the smaller dings.
Meg's "Black Wax" is just another way of false advertising to make people believe that product will work better than others. The concept most people miss is, youare not applying wax to the paint. You are applying it to the clear coat. The wax has no clue what color your car is underneath the clear. In essence, they make you pay more for a "specially formulated" product that is pretty much the same as their off the shelf wax. Also as the wax fills in the small scratches, it slowly begins to pour out over time leaving you back where you started. Only way to remove the scratches and swirls is a proper polishing job.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #128
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzic View Post
Meg's "Black Wax" is just another way of false advertising to make people believe that product will work better than others. The concept most people miss is, youare not applying wax to the paint. You are applying it to the clear coat. The wax has no clue what color your car is underneath the clear. In essence, they make you pay more for a "specially formulated" product that is pretty much the same as their off the shelf wax. Also as the wax fills in the small scratches, it slowly begins to pour out over time leaving you back where you started. Only way to remove the scratches and swirls is a proper polishing job.
yeah yeah rah rah rah, it says right on the bottle that it uses polishing oils. It's not trying to mislead anyone at all with what it does.

Ant btw there are some areas that you can't polish rock scratches out of, like the front bumper which uses a different formula paint than on the regular body panels, a polishing oil heavy wax really helps fill in the hundreds of tiny rock chips on my bumper, which I couldn't fix with my DA polisher.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #129
BlackyRose

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzic View Post
Hate to break it to you, but the top detailers and a lot of the people they train don't use stay fresh. I see you on here constantly trolling other threads to bash products and promote stay fresh. Kind of old. Go over to autogeek to do that.
BlackyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackyRose For This Useful Post:
radroach (08-20-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #130
Guzic
Clean as F86ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackyRose View Post
Hate to break it to you, but the top detailers and a lot of the people they train don't use stay fresh. I see you on here constantly trolling other threads to bash products and promote stay fresh. Kind of old. Go over to autogeek to do that.
I never claimed top detailers use Stay fresh. Infact I don't expect them to since they are a new company. I use their products because I like them and they get the job done for me. I'm not sure what you mean by trolling and bashing other threads? I really don't see where the hate is coming from. I have no problems recommending other products, and if you actually watched my posts you would see that I have. Giving someone helpful information as to why a product does or doesn't work is quite different from trolling.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #131
Guzic
Clean as F86ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
yeah yeah rah rah rah, it says right on the bottle that it uses polishing oils. It's not trying to mislead anyone at all with what it does.

Ant btw there are some areas that you can't polish rock scratches out of, like the front bumper which uses a different formula paint than on the regular body panels, a polishing oil heavy wax really helps fill in the hundreds of tiny rock chips on my bumper, which I couldn't fix with my DA polisher.
The reason why I say it misleads paleople is that it states the wax is for black cars, which in reality you can use for any other color just as well. Also, the bumper does not use a different formula paint, the bumper is only dofferent because of the materal it is made of which makes isbsofter, therefore more susceptible to heat and a greater danger in burning through paint when using a high poweres DA. Another point, if the scratches aren't deep enough that wax is able to cover and fill them in, then they are able to be removed with a polisher. Again I'm not being aggressive nor hateful, just giving out some info people might now know about. I guess some people just can't stand free advice.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #132
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Are you guys cleaning the mf towels, weave, and sponges after every wash? If so by hand?
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #133
Paul_S

Drives: red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I must be confused . My painter uses a additive to the paint that is used on flexible panels such as bumpers. This helps prevent peeling and cracking to some degree. As for removing paint defects such as scratches , care must be given to not build up heat while polishing these parts. Too much heat will allow the paint to twist and have large sections of paint wrinkle up. From my experiences paint transfers and scratches can be removed from plastic or rubber type bumpers.
As for washing mf towels , mitts and pads , my washing machine does a good job of cleaning.
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #134
Exocet

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
Are you guys cleaning the mf towels, weave, and sponges after every wash? If so by hand?
I soak my towels and sponges in hot water with a bit of mild dish soap, then rinse and hang to dry.

As I live in an apartment I have to do this in a 2 gal bucket in my tub and hang the cloths up in my bathroom. The joys of living in a small space.
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #135
Simok

Drives: 2013 FRS
Is this the #34 cleaner your talking about? http://www.autogeek.net/1gallonrefill2.html
Simok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #136
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
I wash my towels in the washing machine using this procedure.

1) Prewash by hand any very dirty towels to remove the worst dirt. Check all towels, especially the towels used on the tires for organic debris such as fragments of leaves. An old toothbrush works well as the leaf fragments really stick to the fabric.
2) Clean the washing machine by running an empty rinse cycle with a cup of white vinegar. This helps to remove any fabric softener residue from the machine. (Never use fabric softener with microfibers.)
3) Set the washing machine to gentle wash setting and use a micro-fiber soap. It is formulated to not leave any residue on the towels.
4) I use a second rinse cycle (I have this setting on my machine.) To the second rinse cycle I add a half cup of white vinegar.
5) Dry towels by hanging. I do not use my dryer because the insides have a coating of fabric softener on them and I do not want to risk getting this on my towels.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #137
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Well, seven, you're just awesome. I was freaking out about washing my car since I don't even got a driveway. Great great great instruction! You the man
Pkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #138
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkush View Post
Well, seven, you're just awesome. I was freaking out about washing my car since I don't even got a driveway. Great great great instruction! You the man
Just remember to keep everything properly lubricated. ONR works great, but I like to spray on the part of the car I want to clean, then spray the towel, then clean the part off.

Get a town of towels. Like 50 or so. You'll need one or two towels per major body panel (Roof, Trunk, Doors, Hood, Fenders, etc.) to apply ONR, and then one or two to dry off the panel. Also it never hurts to have extras for tires, touch up product, or removing excess wax after applying it.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #139
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post
Just remember to keep everything properly lubricated.
LucidMomentum (01-22-2015), Pkush (01-22-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:53 AM   #140
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
holy shit. ive always been so skeptical about this method, but at my new place i moved to they wont allow car washing. after reading this thread, i figure id try this method out. just did it today and i think my car is even cleaner than when i used to wash it "normally". this thing is amazing