follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
DatRumbleDoe

Drives: 2005 Obsidian Black Pearl STi 350hp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Throw Out Bearing Rattle Noise help.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I installed a new clutch, pressure plate, lightweight flywheel and TOB about 20k miles ago. After about 5k miles I noticed a rattle at idle. It has now gotten very loud when idling and becomes extremely loud when the ac is on. I am 99% sure it is the TOB again, after depressing the pedal all noise goes away, Everytime. When I replaced the clutch originally it was at 75k miles and it was because the TOB went out (stuck in 1st, the fork bent the arms back, TOB was completely destroyed when I pulled it out) The transmission shaft was scarred up a good bit but after some wet sanding I polished it back to normal. Used good grease when installing the new parts but the noise came back after 5k miles. It is very annoying to hear everyday. Has anyone else had this problem or what ideas do we have to fix it? Ive heard the clutch fork is a problem on these cars when running heavier pressure plates?

Clutch kit and TOB I installed were the ACT Stage 2 clutch and competition Lightweight Flywheel. At 75k miles. Now at 95k 2013 BRZ
DatRumbleDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DatRumbleDoe For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have had that same rattle since replacing my TOB with the updated TOB like 25k miles ago. Rattle is there, worse with a/c and gone entirely with clutch depressed. Has not gotten any worse since it first appeared.

Don't know what to make of it, and don't really want to do it again for it to just start yet again.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
DatRumbleDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
I have had that same rattle since replacing my TOB with the updated TOB like 25k miles ago. Rattle is there, worse with a/c and gone entirely with clutch depressed. Has not gotten any worse since it first appeared.

Don't know what to make of it, and don't really want to do it again for it to just start yet again.
Exactly the same for me. I used the act TOB though. I don't want to pull it out again until it breaks lol. However the car will be sitting for a month or so, so I'm thinking about doing it. Just don't want to waste my time if nothing fixes it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatRumbleDoe View Post
Exactly the same for me. I used the act TOB though. I don't want to pull it out again until it breaks lol. However the car will be sitting for a month or so, so I'm thinking about doing it. Just don't want to waste my time if nothing fixes it

Agreed. Hopefully someone will pop in here that's either fixed or or tried to fix it and save us some time .
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I installed a new clutch, pressure plate, lightweight flywheel and TOB about 20k miles ago. After about 5k miles I noticed a rattle at idle. It has now gotten very loud when idling and becomes extremely loud when the ac is on. I am 99% sure it is the TOB again, after depressing the pedal all noise goes away, Everytime. When I replaced the clutch originally it was at 75k miles and it was because the TOB went out (stuck in 1st, the fork bent the arms back, TOB was completely destroyed when I pulled it out) The transmission shaft was scarred up a good bit but after some wet sanding I polished it back to normal. Used good grease when installing the new parts but the noise came back after 5k miles. It is very annoying to hear everyday. Has anyone else had this problem or what ideas do we have to fix it? Ive heard the clutch fork is a problem on these cars when running heavier pressure plates?

Clutch kit and TOB I installed were the ACT Stage 2 clutch and competition Lightweight Flywheel. At 75k miles. Now at 95k 2013 BRZ
Hello DatRumbleDoe and welcome to ye ol forum -

It may be "gear rollover" in the transmission, but I don't know.

I'll ring up ol @Ultramaroon for you, he is a clutch expert. He will respond, unlessen he is in one of his foul moods today -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
DatRumbleDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello DatRumbleDoe and welcome to ye ol forum -

It may be "gear rollover" in the transmission, but I don't know.

I'll ring up ol @Ultramaroon for you, he is a clutch expert. He will respond, unlessen he is in one of his foul moods today -
Thank you. Hopefully someone can help me out. 1st gear is a little rough sometimes but that's the only issue I've noticed other than the noise

The Following User Says Thank You to DatRumbleDoe For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 10:28 PM   #7
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I am not saying it isn't the TOB but two things to keep in mind. Lots of people report the motor sounding rattly at idle with a light flywheel. When I did my clutch and flywheel, I got the re-installation of the wire in the clutch fork wrong and now it rattles a bit at idle as its not held as tight against the pivot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-25-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 10:50 PM   #8
DatRumbleDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
I am not saying it isn't the TOB but two things to keep in mind. Lots of people report the motor sounding rattly at idle with a light flywheel. When I did my clutch and flywheel, I got the re-installation of the wire in the clutch fork wrong and now it rattles a bit at idle as its not held as tight against the pivot.
Didn't know about the rattle from the flywheel. The pin issue definitely sounds like it could be my problem. I don't remember exactly how tight I got it when installing but I do remember fighting with it...

Old 08-25-2020, 10:16 PM   #9
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
@humfrz mentioned it first. I'll bet that if you search your soul, you'll admit the possibility that, while you may have first noticed it after 5 Kmi, it was there all along. A decent recording would be conclusive.

Did you save the factory gear lube, or did you replace it? If so, what did you use? My gearbox rattles in neutral all the time, and I have a stock flywheel. Less viscous fluid damps the sound less. That's why the factory fill is so thick.

On that same note, are you certain that the car was perfectly level when you filled it? Maybe it's a tad low. Not the end of the world but would be louder.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:20 PM   #10
DatRumbleDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
@humfrz mentioned it first. I'll bet that if you search your soul, you'll admit the possibility that, while you may have first noticed it after 5 Kmi, it was there all along. A decent recording would be conclusive.

Did you save the factory gear lube, or did you replace it? If so, what did you use? My gearbox rattles in neutral all the time, and I have a stock flywheel. Less viscous fluid damps the sound less. That's why the factory fill is so thick.

On that same note, are you certain that the car was perfectly level when you filled it? Maybe it's a tad low. Not the end of the world but would be louder.
It probably was to be honest lol. Just really noticable after a while. I'll see if I can get a video tomorrow. I worked at Subaru so I used new factory fluids when changing everything. It was on a lift so I'm sure it was level enough lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DatRumbleDoe For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-25-2020), Ultramaroon (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 11:17 PM   #11
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
It probably was to be honest lol. Just really noticable after a while. I'll see if I can get a video tomorrow. I worked at Subaru so I used new factory fluids when changing everything. It was on a lift so I'm sure it was level enough lol
Cool.