follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #15
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler View Post
This is a long shot, but do any tunes disable TPMS? I know some harness plug in chips do, but they seem like a lot of money for what they do. As soon as it starts to act odd I would like the option to switch it off...

Nope, different computer in the car sadly.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #16
azndavepgh

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's a little annoying that my first week of ownership has been spent dealing with TPMS, so please bear with me.

I found a thread from a few years ago with a similar issue, and this post in particular was interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman62 View Post
So this gets even more strange. Tire Rack insists they installed the correct sensors for the BRZ in the wheels. My only thought at this point is maybe someone pulled the wrong ones off the shelf and installed them.

Well yesterday I had a mobile tire installer come swap out the sensors in the new wheels with the old ones in the original wheels. PITA, had to break down eight tires in all. Ok here is the strange part. The sensors in the new wheels are the exact same senors Subaru put the stock wheels. Exactly the same, same model, same manufacturer, same FCC ID number....the same! Yet the dealer was not able to get them to work.

So now that the new wheels have the old sensors I went back to the dealer. And guess what....they worked fine! WTF?? The car saw all the senors and was able to read all the data (pressure, temp, etc).

The guy who did the programming at the dealership seemed to know what he was doing. Maybe that was not the case the first time I went, might have been a different tech. BUT.....I did bring the car to my friend's auto repair shop / tire dealer and they were not able to get the car to read the new senors. Weird huh....
So to recap the findings in this thread:

- The second gen has a new OE part for the sensor, but the first gen OE part still works
- The sensor that Tire Rack sells may be the same as the first gen OE part
- This shouldn't be so f-ing difficult

Both the dealer and the tire shop were able to read the ID codes, but now I'm wondering if they were able to actually register (pair) the codes with the car.

I'm still going to wait for more information before doing anything. However, if I have to pay to get new sensors installed, I'd rather just use the second gen OE part rather than keep messing around.
azndavepgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:04 PM   #17
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Check the owner's manual, it clearly says that new sensors must be registered in the car, by going to a dealer.
It might be possible to "clone" the OEM sensors in such a way that the car thinks those are the original sensors though.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:06 PM   #18
azndavepgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Check the owner's manual, it clearly says that new sensors must be registered in the car, by going to a dealer.
It might be possible to "clone" the OEM sensors in such a way that the car thinks those are the original sensors though.
Yes, I did see that. Which makes me think the dealer didn't register the codes.
The Following User Says Thank You to azndavepgh For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (12-03-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #19
groucho

Drives: '65 Lotus Elan, '05 Elise, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone been able to get the '22 BRZ showing pressure from TPMS sensors from the 1st gen car? I recently swapped my 105k '13 BRZ for a '22 and my winter wheels are not showing pressure, but the dealer is the one who swapped them on (before I picked up the car) and they certainly claimed to have paired the sensors. I am occasionally but not very often getting the low tire pressure idiot light.

If no one has it working, I'm not going to worry about it yet. I would assume that if that's the case, the winter wheels will need a different TPMS sensor for full functionality.

Formerly '13 DGM 6MT BRZ Limited
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #20
azndavepgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho View Post
Has anyone been able to get the '22 BRZ showing pressure from TPMS sensors from the 1st gen car? I recently swapped my 105k '13 BRZ for a '22 and my winter wheels are not showing pressure, but the dealer is the one who swapped them on (before I picked up the car) and they certainly claimed to have paired the sensors. I am occasionally but not very often getting the low tire pressure idiot light.

If no one has it working, I'm not going to worry about it yet. I would assume that if that's the case, the winter wheels will need a different TPMS sensor for full functionality.
The second gen can store two sets of wheels. Have you tried switching to the other set? The instructions are in the manual.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #21
groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndavepgh View Post
The second gen can store two sets of wheels. Have you tried switching to the other set? The instructions are in the manual.
I do know that it can store two sets but I wasn't aware of a method of switching manually. I'll try that in a little while.

Do you know for sure that the earlier ones can work for reporting pressure?

Old 12-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #22
azndavepgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho View Post
I do know that it can store two sets but I wasn't aware of a method of switching manually. I'll try that in a little while.

Do you know for sure that the earlier ones can work for reporting pressure?
Someone on FB posted that the first gen sensors will work. In my case, the TPMS light is always on as if the sensors aren't registered with the car.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #23
groucho

Well, after some hunting, I found the TPMS reset button, and tried switching as the manual says (3x within 3 seconds); nothing happened. Nothing also happened when I tried to initialize it by holding it down for 3 seconds. So, who knows... but I don't have a low pressure warning light most of the time. It's only come on maybe 2-3 times that I've noticed with a little over 200 miles of driving.

Old 12-10-2021, 12:55 AM   #24
azndavepgh

I went back to my dealer and had the ID codes registered with the car again... No luck. And I switched between both ID sets.

Back to waiting for more feedback from others. However, the first gen sensors seem to be flaky based on what I've read. Maybe that's why they changed parts?
Old 01-18-2022, 08:12 PM   #25
azndavepgh

Update: Tire Rack has fitments for the second gen now. The TPMS sensor is the Pacific T6 and not the T5 for the first gen.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to azndavepgh For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (01-18-2022), groucho (01-21-2022), jvincent (01-19-2022), timurrrr (01-19-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #26
groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndavepgh View Post
Update: Tire Rack has fitments for the second gen now. The TPMS sensor is the Pacific T6 and not the T5 for the first gen.
Good info. I don't suppose anyone's ordered any and found out for sure they they actually work yet...

The Following User Says Thank You to groucho For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 05:50 PM   #27
MikeNSX2

Drives: Ice Silver 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I am getting ready to find out.

My Enkei wheels / tires / T6 sensors arrived yesterday and I will be mounting them tomorrow or Sunday when it gets a little warmer in my garage.

Will let everyone know then.
MikeNSX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeNSX2 For This Useful Post:
azndavepgh (01-22-2022), groucho (01-23-2022), timurrrr (01-21-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 09:26 AM   #28
MikeNSX2

Drives: Ice Silver 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Follow up:

I am going to mount my new wheels tomorrow.

Since my OEM wheels are registered to the car now, should I push the TPMS button in the glovebox so that it switches to the second set of wheels and sensors (the Enkei's)?
MikeNSX2 is offline   Reply With Quote