follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2022, 08:00 PM   #15
86league

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatYeti View Post
Ok so the trick for me was jacking the car higher and using the floor jack handle around the rachet for more leverage (apparently don't have 1/2" sockets and my long handled torque wrench wouldn't fit in the space with the 3/8-1/2 adapter). So I got that bracket off....but the caliper still won't come off....it'll rotate with the rotor maybe 10-15 degrees but that's about it. Didn't want to wail on it with a hammer if I was missing something else, but is there something more than that bracket with the two 19mm bolts keeping it on? I'd say there's a good chance it's never been off (car only has 20k on it and still on original pads/rotors as far as I know).
Your caliper is rotating with the rotor? Have you removed the pads? Shouldn't be necessary -- I've removed mine with pads installed. But, if the pads are locked up on the rotor that would the calipers hard to remove.
86league is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:16 PM   #16
ThatYeti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86league View Post
Your caliper is rotating with the rotor? Have you removed the pads? Shouldn't be necessary -- I've removed mine with pads installed. But, if the pads are locked up on the rotor that would the calipers hard to remove.
Didn't remove the pads, as I was pulling it to replace the studs and install some camber bolts. Don't see why they'd be "locked up" as they were working fine last I drove it, but I guess I could take them out if there's not another option. And ya as I'm trying to pull the caliper off, the caliper will rotate maybe 2 inches in either direction along with the rotor. Are there no other bolts I'd need to remove aside of those holding on the bracket I finally got off?
ThatYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:15 PM   #17
86league

Quote:
Didn't remove the pads, as I was pulling it to replace the studs and install some camber bolts. Don't see why they'd be "locked up" as they were working fine last I drove it, but I guess I could take them out if there's not another option. And ya as I'm trying to pull the caliper off, the caliper will rotate maybe 2 inches in either direction along with the rotor. Are there no other bolts I'd need to remove aside of those holding on the bracket I finally got off?
Just those 2 bolts. The bolts go through the spindle and then into the caliper.

If the caliper rotates a bit with the rotor, then it's loose from the spindle. I'd remove the pads to get some extra room to see if that helps, but up to you.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:05 PM   #18
ThatYeti

Quote:
Just those 2 bolts. The bolts go through the spindle and then into the caliper.

If the caliper rotates a bit with the rotor, then it's loose from the spindle. I'd remove the pads to get some extra room to see if that helps, but up to you.
Ok but you need some kind of punch or something to get the pads out no?
Old 01-03-2022, 09:55 PM   #19
86league

Quote:
Ok but you need some kind of punch or something to get the pads out no?
A punch would work, or you need to move them enough to grab them from behind with a pair of pliers and pull out. I've always just used a block of wood and pushed them until they are flush, then use the corner to push them in a little more - or use the pointy end of a pair of needle nose. That tends to move them enough to grab from behind.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:24 PM   #20
ThatYeti

Quote:
A punch would work, or you need to move them enough to grab them from behind with a pair of pliers and pull out. I've always just used a block of wood and pushed them until they are flush, then use the corner to push them in a little more - or use the pointy end of a pair of needle nose. That tends to move them enough to grab from behind.

This actually worked and the idea to use a piece of wood made more sense when I was doing it, punch would have worked if I was more sure handed but didn't want to destroy the paint on the calipers so the chunk of wood served me well. Now to get the rotor off.....sprayed it with WD40....banged it a bunch with a poly hammer (reusing them so no BFH) and tried the winged bolt from the spare but no dice yet.... hoping the WD40 does some magic over night
Old 01-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #21
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,296 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I took my calipers off literally yesterday. Pulled the pads first. Bottom bolt was easy with a breaker bar, for the top bolt I used a 3/4" ratchet with a pipe over the handle.
M8x1.25 bolt to push the rotor off the hub.
88.5 ft•lbs to tighten the caliper bolts back. Needed a 19mm wobble socket to reach the top bolt with a torque wrench.
More info: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144662
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:39 PM   #22
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,296 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Here's my video on how to deal with pads:
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-24-2022), ThatYeti (01-06-2022)