follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #15
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
So, you bring your steak to the restaurant ask them to cook it?
If the steak they'll provide may be rotten and I don't know how to cook, yes.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
why? (06-07-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #16
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I paid 2400 for complete clutch at Toyota dealer
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #17
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project N64 View Post
Have the dealer replace throw out bearing on their dime and provide an exedy clutch kit for them to replace. Think it's like 300 bucks. Am I missing something or you said dealer will cover tob? And that's worst case scenario, contact Toyota before though, they might cover it all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
not all shops will agree to that.

because if the parts the person supplies are garbage, and fail, they stand the risk to be liable for their installation practice messing it up instead of getting crap parts...

and that's an unnecessary headache for everyone.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #18
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
If the steak they'll provide may be rotten and I don't know how to cook, yes.
To a shop or kitchen, bringing your mats in is a very unwanted liability. If your steak is bad, it's still their problem because they cooked it, if your part is bad, it's still their problem because they installed it, and they're stuck warrantying a part they had nothing to do with and can't turn around to a parts supplier for compensation.

Suppose we install a clutch that develops a defect, we turn around to our supplier for a new one and they eat part of the labor on the warranty job. If we I stall your clutch that has a defect, we eat the clutch and labor on the warranty job.

BYOP is terrible manners. Buy your own parts if you install them, that's fine, but don't bring that crap to a shop.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-06-2020), Tcoat (06-15-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 05:03 PM   #19
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
To a shop or kitchen, bringing your mats in is a very unwanted liability. If your steak is bad, it's still their problem because they cooked it, if your part is bad, it's still their problem because they installed it, and they're stuck warrantying a part they had nothing to do with and can't turn around to a parts supplier for compensation.

Suppose we install a clutch that develops a defect, we turn around to our supplier for a new one and they eat part of the labor on the warranty job. If we I stall your clutch that has a defect, we eat the clutch and labor on the warranty job.

BYOP is terrible manners. Buy your own parts if you install them, that's fine, but don't bring that crap to a shop.
Maybe the difference is location, but where I live, shops do not/will not order non standard parts. They simply will not warranty the part you supply and charge extra for labor. I worked in a shop that functioned like this and it was never a big deal. If the shop is intelligent enough to disclose that they will not warranty parts that they didn't supply, it's a non issue. At that point, if the customer doesn't like it, they can install it themselves. No need to be up in arms about it.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Opie (06-15-2020), soundman98 (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #20
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Take it back to the dealer and tell them you do not want a car with problems that were not your fault and they should have checked before sale, if they side step talk about the local TV station having a consumer problem line. You bought a car with a warrantee and they will not fix it or refund the money.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 08:31 PM   #21
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Maybe the difference is location, but where I live, shops do not/will not order non standard parts. They simply will not warranty the part you supply and charge extra for labor. I worked in a shop that functioned like this and it was never a big deal. If the shop is intelligent enough to disclose that they will not warranty parts that they didn't supply, it's a non issue. At that point, if the customer doesn't like it, they can install it themselves. No need to be up in arms about it.
The problem is, even if we put "customer supplies parts no warranty", it doesn't hold up in court, and shops have had to pay for this crap.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #22
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

Right, so shops are never supposed to help out their customers, or do anything that they don't make tons of cash on.

Nice fantasy you have there.

In the real world, shops will help people install parts, and then they will get extra business from those same people in the form of new orders and a new customer. Happens all the time. They also get word of mouth advertising from a happy customer.

Only place that doesn't happen is at dealerships, because they don't need the business, they are busy raping their customers pocketbooks as much as possible.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #23
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Right, so shops are never supposed to help out their customers, or do anything that they don't make tons of cash on.

In the real world, shops will help people install parts, and then they will get extra business from those same people in the form of new orders and a new customer. Happens all the time. They also get word of mouth advertising from a happy customer.

Only place that doesn't happen is at dealerships, because they don't need the business, they are busy raping their customers pocketbooks as much as possible.
A shop I know, when the owner bought it, turned away about 100k/year's worth of BYOP customers. Turning away BYOP customers isn't about making more money, it's about not having the liabilities associated with it.

I'm not saying it's never done, we do it sometimes, but we don't have BYOP customers, we have good customers, and if one has a special case, we can accomodate. The "good word of mouth" from a one time customer that got his parts installed is worthless, it'll only attract other one time customers that want their parts installed.

Dealerships are another beast entirely, because they get paid by the warranty, not you, and the warranty isn't going to pay to install some dude's parts. And if your car isn't under warranty, what the hell are you doing at the dealer unless it's a ridiculous special case like I had last week, recalibrating an SMG control module on an '03 Z4 after the shift travel and gate position sensors were replaced.

Now the thread has been derailed enough. OP's problem, That's BS, after a week they should goodwill that on warranty. Raise a stink.
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #24
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I broke the timing belt on my GTI. Took it to the shop and they wanted to charge me like $150 for each valve that needed to be replaced.(The Mk IV GTI has titanium valves so they bend before they poke holes in the pistons.) I went home and found a brand new whole head assy (valves, cams, the works) for 300 bucks. Asked him if I could just supply a new head and he said no problem but of course no warranty. He charged me $300. Turned out 19 of the 20 valves were bent.
So, it's worth a try.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #25
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
it depends on the shop, either's attitudes, as well as the previous relationship with the people of the shop. i've got 3 different places that i could bring my own parts to if i wanted. i know them all well, and know they would do it because of our pasts--all of them know i do a ton of my own work, but sometimes run out of time, so it's not uncommon for me to have the parts but not the time. but because of that relationship, if i supply something and it breaks, i know not to go back to them other than to give them a hard time about it. they're also not afraid to tell me that what i ordered is crap, and they've had better success with a brand they can supply...

but all 3 of them have stories of some random jamoke showing up, and rudely demanding that they install a cheap part--sometimes a used part-- for as cheap as possible. to which they're preference is to decline doing the work at all.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:30 AM   #26
dagle

Drives: assphalt FRS, couple s2000's
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
it's pretty common practice here in the states, and my personal shop that does stuff for me when i'm too busy or specific jobs i don't want to do. He even recommends to me what to buy and offers shop discount (he said if i get better prices, buy it and bring it.). Has never been a problem at any of the shops I've gone to and never presented as manners lol...

hell some of the toyota dealerships who did the valve seal recall have installed aftermarket clutches for customers that were brought in.
dagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #27
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@RZNT4R yeah so they can sell parts at markup! And they probably overcharge you on a brake job too! Those shops don't get my business!

But even my single-owner shop guy was trying to get me to use parts from his supplier (he's a WRX guy) and he often seems confused about what parts are compatible for a BRZ (which for the most part is nothing!). So for my own sake I need to do my own parts shopping or my guy might do something silly like when he suggested we install a TOB sleeve designed for a WRX.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #28
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,321 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post

LOL at your dealership view...

We will install customer supplied parts and clearly state that we only guarantee our labor in those situations, any fault of the part is not our responsibility.

We also don't "rape" people and appreciate whatever business we can get.
DarkPira7e (06-15-2020), soundman98 (06-15-2020), why? (06-16-2020)