follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
New OEM clutch! Thoughts.

So I'm at ~56k miles and had some major worked put in on the car today, new spark plugs and a new OEM clutch! Done by a local tuner shop.

So my thoughts are, this is something I should have done a long time ago. 3 years on the original clutch. I've been having gears do a mini-grind almost every day for the last year, and maybe evidence that the clutch was lightly dragging because I'd hear faint scratching noises. During downshifts the throw out bearing would make a honking noise, or while going downhill in low gear I'd hear a slight grinding sound. And when I'd engage or disengage the clutch I'd hear a knocking sound. Apparently all of this is a symptom of a bad throw out bearing, and when we took out the bearing, it was clearly worn and making noises if you spun it by hand.

So new clutch, new motul gear 300 oil, and my thoughts. Well the first time I got in the car, I noticed that the clutch was WAAAY lighter than it was before. I asked the guy if he did anything, he said nope, it was just lubed up so much that there was no friction. The drive home though was amazing, down some insane switchbacks on TN mountain roads I'd never been on. The engine revved without the feeling of friction it had before, and downshifts were bang-on, I was rev matching speeds way easier, say where I normally rev matched 2nd at a maximum of 30mph before, now I think I rev matched it at ~38mph and had no problem.

The motul gear 300 makes the gearbox feel too light, vague, and I never liked that, but gear changes are super smooth and quick. Over time, I hope it settles out so there is a little more feeling in the clutch, but overall it's going to work out.

What should you get out of this: I think that if you have any of the above symptoms of a bad throw-out bearing, you should plan on getting it replaced as soon as you can. This is something I should have done at the first sign that my throw-out bearing was honking at me. Thanks.

Last edited by radroach; 09-26-2015 at 09:28 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (10-17-2015), humfrz (10-14-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
So I'm at ~56k miles and had some major worked put in on the car today, new spark plugs and a new OEM clutch! Done by a local tuner shop.

So my thoughts are, this is something I should have done a long time ago. 3 years on the original clutch. I've been having gears do a mini-grind almost every day for the last year, and maybe evidence that the clutch was lightly dragging because I'd hear faint scratching noises. During downshifts the throw out bearing would make a honking noise, or while going downhill in low gear I'd hear a slight grinding sound. And when I'd engage or disengage the clutch I'd hear a knocking sound. Apparently all of this is a symptom of a bad throw out bearing, and when we took out the bearing, it was clearly worn and making noises if you spun it by hand.

So new clutch, new motul gear 300 oil, and my thoughts. Well the first time I got in the car, I noticed that the clutch was WAAAY lighter than it was before. I asked the guy if he did anything, he said nope, it was just lubed up so much that there was no friction. The drive home though was amazing, down some insane switchbacks on TN mountain roads I'd never been on. The engine revved without the feeling of friction it had before, and downshifts were bang-on, I was rev matching speeds way easier, say where I normally rev matched 2nd at a maximum of 30mph before, now I think I rev matched it at ~38mph and had no problem.

The motul gear 300 makes the gearbox feel vague, and I never liked that, but gear changes are super smooth. Over time, I hope it settles out so there is a little more feeling in the clutch, but overall it's going to work out.

What should you get out of this: I think that if you have any of the above symptoms of a bad throw-out bearing, you should plan on getting it replaced as soon as you can. This is something I should have done at the first sign that my throw-out bearing was honking at me. Thanks.
I would also suggest to take out the spring behind the clutch. It helps with the clutch feel and makes it very easy to shift without feeling vague

Last edited by Aztec; 09-27-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
mikeTee
Yup.

Drives: MT Subaru BRZ '13
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

The motul gear 300 makes the gearbox feel too light, vague, and I never liked that, but gear changes are super smooth and quick. Over time, I hope it settles out so there is a little more feeling in the clutch, but overall it's going to work out.

How much did you spend on the OEM clutch and the labor if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
radroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTee View Post
How much did you spend on the OEM clutch and the labor if you don't mind me asking?
A new clutch was about $250 at the time, bought from here: http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/exed...l#.Vh2x6ytOLOA

I had spark plugs and clutch job done at the same time, and that cost me probably $950. I'd say half of that went to the clutch job + replacing the transmission fluid.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
So I'm at ~56k miles and had some major worked put in on the car today, new spark plugs and a new OEM clutch!............ .
Too bad your car's clutch went bad after only 56,000 miles......

What are your thoughts on why you think the clutch went bad ..... ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Calum (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
radroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Too bad your car's clutch went bad after only 56,000 miles......

What are your thoughts on why you think the clutch went bad ..... ??

humfrz
It was the throw out bearing that had gone bad. It started being noisy, and at times it felt like the clutch was dragging or not disengaging all the way.

I will admit I was hard on it at times and so not surprised that that part wore out quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-14-2015)