follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #113
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Huh, figured you were banned or got bored of trolling us.

In any event, I'm not going to bite this time.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #114
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
that's not how you write a haiku...

Last edited by 7thgear; 03-13-2015 at 09:55 AM.
7thgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:36 AM   #115
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I'm really
getting
confused now.
I thought it
was the hot
and cold sliding
doors on the
gazanaxoid that
did all that...
Old 03-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #116
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderfaceTr. View Post
It was already said that most
drivers prefer the ignition cut
Blah
Blah
Blah
this will have on the TCS torque.
Additionally the simulation shows
the level of cut produced by the
traction control strategy.
@PowderfaceTr.
So you read the Feb 2015 edition of Racecar Engineering magazine and you are capable of cut & paste.

So you have proven to be as good at driving as Koko the gorilla....(she CANT drive but she can read & cut & paste)

Last edited by stugray; 03-15-2015 at 12:08 PM.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:50 PM   #117
PowderfaceTr.

Drives: stock
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzEPbqk_nE"]ItaliaspeedTV - Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano (X) F1-Trac - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry I didn't have time to reference the article or my point.
The point was and I continue to make is how all AI or driver aids improves the quality and skill of driving for everyone. Not just haters but the talented pilots who want to focus on racing and not car dynamics like some pit engineer. A prime example is the F35 aircraft flight stability systems. These allow one to not have to worry about cumbersome maneuver while relaying more vital field information. Analogous to FRS time attack where there can be random puddles of sand and loose tire bit all over the track. You want to have feedback like ignition cut to help one pay more attention to the ever changing racing line as such is most likely to occur racing with leaky unreliable poorly tuned streetcars.

Last edited by PowderfaceTr.; 03-15-2015 at 10:05 PM.
PowderfaceTr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #118
killboy

Drives: 1FRS, 1 BRZ, 2S2000s, Evo8, Dak.R/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

BTW, Formula 1 did away with traction control. They should have consulted you though, clearly.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #119
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
The point was and I continue to make is how all AI or driver aids improves the quality and skill of driving for everyone. Not just haters but the talented pilots who want to focus on racing and not car dynamics like some pit engineer. A prime example is the F35 aircraft flight stability systems. These allow one to not have to worry about cumbersome maneuver while relaying more vital field information. Analogous to FRS time attack where there can be random puddles of sand and loose tire bit all over the track. You want to have feedback like ignition cut to help one pay more attention to the ever changing racing line as such is most likely to occur racing with leaky unreliable poorly tuned streetcars.
Not sure why I bother...

You seem to totally ignore the difference between a traction control system that is designed to keep kids/soccer moms/texters from killing themselves (and others) and a system that is actually engineered for track driving.

They aren't the same thing, and the twins have the first one, not the second. A real system will allow some pretty big slip angles, to the point of sliding the rear of the car a fair amount (believe it or not, it can be useful to "tighten" the line of a car in a turn either by gentle throttle oversteer or by trailbraking/lift throttle initiated oversteer). The stock system doesn't allow it at all.

Let's also not confuse traction control with stability control. They are different.

As for your other comments, it's good to see you want to use a system that relieves the driver from the pressure of having to actually drive. I hear Google is working on the perfect track car for you!
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #120
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica73 View Post
As for your other comments, it's good to see you want to use a system that relieves the driver from the pressure of having to actually drive. I hear Google is working on the perfect track car for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Soon PowderfaceTr wont need any of that "antiquated driving technique" stuff when Google comes out with the "GoogleRaceROM auto-driving performance system".
Now the racecar driver can just sit back and enjoy the newspaper and a Soy Moccachino.

The Google system will have the ability to make Espresso even while calculating the optimum corner entry angles.\

Just DONT ask it to make TEA, or the entire system could become unresponsive.....
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #121
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

So, have you experienced these car's ultimate ignition cut yet? Its the one where your car disassembles its engine as you understeer straight into a wall. I hear it is quite a remarkable experience!

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #122
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica73 View Post
Not sure why I bother...

You seem to totally ignore the difference between a traction control system that is designed to keep kids/soccer moms/texters from killing themselves (and others) and a system that is actually engineered for track driving.

They aren't the same thing, and the twins have the first one, not the second. A real system will allow some pretty big slip angles, to the point of sliding the rear of the car a fair amount (believe it or not, it can be useful to "tighten" the line of a car in a turn either by gentle throttle oversteer or by trailbraking/lift throttle initiated oversteer). The stock system doesn't allow it at all.

Let's also not confuse traction control with stability control. They are different.

86 VSC vs Porsche PASM is a perfect example.

PASM will let you spin out...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #123
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
it's just in your head, confidence is the single most important determinant when it comes to lap times, this can be said for the other things such as brakes and tires, it's really hard to tell if the upgrade's is the main contributor to the better lap times or the driver's confidence level, (most cases it's combination of both) or which contributes how much.. that's the reason why professional drivers who repeatedly puts the same lap times can only see 1-1.5 sec difference between R comps and High Performance tires when a novice drive can improve almost 4-5 secs (depends on the track of course)

.. VSC give you that confidence ..when you completely learn your car and spend more time you will notice that it actually holds you back,
I love pedal dance
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #124
PowderfaceTr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post
So, have you experienced these car's ultimate ignition cut yet? Its the one where your car disassembles its engine as you understeer straight into a wall. I hear it is quite a remarkable experience!

That cannot happen. The way the car has to be driven to stay out of VSC makes over steer or under steer impossible. As either of those cause the system to activate. Keep in mind this is in an ideal Grand Prix track setting with no ridiculous hair pins. I will repeat VSC is a tool to keep the car neutral. The more the car is neutral, the more one can apply throttle. Calculated fastest time on any track is with maximum time on full throttle. Which means braking as late as possible. Which means ABS vectoring will help prevents uneven wear of tires and overheating. Such as to retain maximum level of tire grip. Grip is what you need to keep the VSC off.
You may not be able to keep your temps high enough or consistently to achieve this. I can. It may cut in early for novices.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #125
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
That cannot happen. The way the car has to be driven to stay out of VSC makes over steer or under steer impossible. As either of those cause the system to activate. Keep in mind this is in an ideal Grand Prix track setting with no ridiculous hair pins. I will repeat VSC is a tool to keep the car neutral. The more the car is neutral, the more one can apply throttle. Calculated fastest time on any track is with maximum time on full throttle. Which means braking as late as possible. Which means ABS vectoring will help prevents uneven wear of tires and overheating. Such as to retain maximum level of tire grip. Grip is what you need to keep the VSC off.
You may not be able to keep your temps high enough or consistently to achieve this. I can. It may cut in early for novices.
So basically, drive slow.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
celica73 (03-16-2015), raul (03-17-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #126
PowderfaceTr.

Its a momentum car with shit aero.

I suppose you could drive it like a M3 and get deep into the corner only to be forced to power out of the turn. That is not how one sets record lap times. The fastest lap would without VSC be during your out lap and you'd have torched avons. The freshest of shaved tires wouldn't last a lap driving for fastest possible speed. This isn't drag racing.

Also note That adding up your best sections downloaded from your AIM doesn't constitute a session.