follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
pr086

Drives: fast
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
calling all ex 8th gen si owners

now that you've had the car for a while and its most likely broken in, how is it feeling power wise to the 8th gen si? from what i've been ready it seems to have more power down low?

also what are your thoughts on the shifter? the shifter was praised in the si, how does it compare. are the throws noticably shorter?
pr086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Nitro

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had an 07 Si 2 door. I think it "feels" very similar, even thought the fr-s might be slightly faster. I think the si gave the illusion that it was going faster than it was because the engine made such a racket at high rpms and also because it's seating position was so much higher.

I like the shifter on the fr-s better in every possible way. To me it has a better position, better feel and maybe even slightly shorter throws.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have a 2011 Civic Si. I love the high revs and you can't beat that VTEC sound.

I don't have my BRZ yet but if you look at the torque the Si has 131lb/ft and the BRZ/FRS has 151lb/ft. When looking at the dyno charts there is a massive spike in torque before the torque dip on the BRZ.

I think I'm going to miss the hell out of my Si but I'm ready to have my first RWD vehicle. Also, my Si is a lease so I'm almost out of miles. That's why I am forced to get rid of it this soon.

Last edited by ngabdala; 08-01-2012 at 02:24 PM.
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ngabdala For This Useful Post:
JesseG (01-30-2020)
Old 08-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The Si does indeed feel like it goes faster than it is going. It's also about 100lbs heavier than the FRS/BRZ which is awesome.

I completely disagree with you when it comes to the shifter though. I've driven a BRZ on a 20min test drive and the one thing I know is I've never found a shifter better than that of my 2011 Si. With that said the BRZ/FRS shifters are great even though IMO it's a longer throw than the Si.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
I had an 07 Si 2 door. I think it "feels" very similar, even thought the fr-s might be slightly faster. I think the si gave the illusion that it was going faster than it was because the engine made such a racket at high rpms and also because it's seating position was so much higher.

I like the shifter on the fr-s better in every possible way. To me it has a better position, better feel and maybe even slightly shorter throws.
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
pr086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
think the si gave the illusion that it was going faster than it was because the engine made such a racket at high rpms and also because it's seating position was so much higher.

doesn't sitting lower usually mean it feels like you're going faster?

i think it will take some getting used to not having that vtec push, but also kind of looking forward to having a power band thats not so segmented.
The Following User Says Thank You to pr086 For This Useful Post:
EZWood (08-02-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Nepenthe

Drives: 2013 Argento Silver Automatic FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Had an 07 Si Coupe. I certainly drove the Si much faster -- more revs, more throttle, more often. It encouraged that. I attribute that to four things:

1. Age -- I had the Si for 5.5 years and about 40K miles, so it was well broken in and I was well familiar with it. Oh, I'm also 5.5 years older -- more maturity?

2. Transmission -- I have the automatic FR-S. I like it, though I find I use D mode 90% of the time. I use Snow mode too. It feels a little like a Corolla, with a non-distinct rev pattern, a little hunting, a lack of direct connection that a manual gives, etc. This may not apply to you MT owners, but it's a big factor for me.

3. Sound
-- the Si had more of it and it was better -- no contest -- it was a typical inline-four scream (but throaty) rather than a chainsaw-like drone

4. Character
-- the Si was a typical sporty inline-four, meaning it wanted to rev and felt like it wasn't real happy unless the revs were increasing; the FR-S is a more droney type of four -- I'm guessing the different cylinder configuration gives it a more loping, chugging character that's more content to just cruise -- it's sort of like the difference between my FZ6R (600cc inline four) and an L-twin bike

I would say the FR-S does offer true ability to get around just fine at low revs, which the Si struggled at. I often complete my whole commute to work without going above 2200 RPMs. I think it's significantly stronger down low than the Si. However, I have to give the high RPM horsepower edge to the Si. It just felt faster due to the nature and sound and VTEC crossover. I can't comment on the shifter obviously except to say I did like the Si shifter and clutch. Not as good as my old RX-7, but better than several other cars (C5, Stealth R/T TT, 280ZX Turbo, Mazdaspeed 3).
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nepenthe For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Tt3Sheppard

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I used to own an 07 si asm. Power I would say goes to the frs. shifting I would say my si. I had a short shift mod and a few other things that made it like butter. You never get that butter feel with the frs although they are short throws.
Tt3Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Garage
The shifter on the Si was definitely good but I wouldn't say it was great. I had the third-gear grind/pop out on the 08 Si, and eventually a clutch failure that was all replaced under warranty @ 50K. I personally like the FR-S's a bit more, I feel more connected and no grinds. The little quirks of first not feeling right at times and 6->4 downshift being difficult have been solved by replacing the shift knob with a nice stainless sphere.

As for power, it's hard for me to remember the stock Si after all the mods I had done to it. I do miss the power with the VTEC transition at 4k (tuned) and the roar upwards to 9k. That being said, I plan to do similar with the FR-S in time.

RWD > FWD, so while my moded Si probably could take the FR-S in a straight line (and MAYBE even in the turns), it's nowhere near as fun to drive.
ngabdala (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
cto424

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I'm my opinion the shifter in the Si felt better. The Si's shifts were so smooth. I had the TWM short shifter assembly and it just made it that much better.
cto424 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cto424 For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
j.t.
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I had a 06 si coupe. Stock for stock the FRS is slightly faster, but the si sounds great when it hit the VTEC crossover point.

After mods on the SI I/H/E and Flashpro the SI is faster and has better low down acceleration, but you cant compare a modded SI to a stock FR-S.

Interior is light years better than the Civic. Nothing feels cheap or econobox on the FR-S.
j.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
R8
Spinning Triangles

Drives: RX-8
I don't own either car, but I've driven both (and the new Acura ILX 2.4 which has the Si's shifter), and I'd say the Si's shifter is one of the smoothest I've ever felt. The FR-S's is perfectly nice, but it's more mechanical in feel. As someone said, the Si is "buttery" smooth.
R8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
pr086

i've got the k&n short ram intake, and greddy evo 2 exhaust on my si, i can't imagie they add that much power, so i'm hoping to notice a little bit of power increase. 20 ft lbs of tourque and 100lbs lighter has to be good for something.

sadly, i know the sound won't be as good.
The Following User Says Thank You to pr086 For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
While i've never owned my own si... my uncle owns a 2011 si and he swears by that car...he always brags about how great his shifter felt and how the car felt when revving in high. I let him test drive my car over the weekend. My car does have the perrin shifter bushing and improved the hell out of my shifter for only 30 bucks. He's in love with my FRS. He still loves his shifter in the si but feels the quality is the about the same, but he def agrees that the frs is faster, a little more comfortable due to the seating position, handles the road better. Only thing he hates is how quiet the frs is(wishes it had a little more growl) and doesnt like that theres practically no rear seats.
brichard0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brichard0625 For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (08-01-2012)
Old 01-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #14
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I know this is an old thread but thought it might be useful to document my thoughts in the event that someone is in a similar situation. A little background info. I have only driven high revving Hondas throughout my life hence i am 1. potentially biased and 2. spoiled with powerplants from one of the best engine makers in the world.

My history of "fun" car ownership includes an EG hatch with a GSR swap, EK hatch with a GSR swap, Integra type R, AP1 S2000, a FA5 8th gen Civic si (4 door) and the latest, a 2017 BRZ sport-tech. I currently still own the Civic SI, AP1 and the 86. I originally had the AP1 but with a growing family, the S2000 was just not being used much hence the 4 door 8th gen Civic si. The S2000 became a garage queen (and still is). The Civic is great and it handled EVERYTHING i threw at it. Pick ups, drop offs, groceries, road trips, ski trips, track days, it can/did it all with ease. It was hassle/maintenance free, has a decent interior, ok on gas for what it is and has one of the most AMAZING drivetrain found in a mass produced car. Yes, the K20 is better than even the F20 (not FA20) with more usable power largely thanks to cam phasing (i-VTEC). The shifting feel is only 2nd to the S2000 (i have driven a few H-patterns in my time including some of the better ones like Miata and later Porsches etc.). The car is massive fun and I love the thing. It is one of the best cars that i have owned. As the kids grew and can climb into the backseats themselves, i started to look into getting a RWD daily platform with 4 seats to replace the civic.

I have been intrigued about the 86 for a long time because on paper, it has everything that I am looking for. It has 4 perfectly useable seats. (please bare in mind "useable" is specific to the individual. Both me and my wife is on the small side @ 5.6' and 5.0', naturally our kids are also tiny). The trunk is sizable and meet our average daily needs. The interior quality is on par with anything in it's price range. It has decent power (i am all for driving a slow car fast). It is better on gas than both of my Hondas (about 15% more efficient than the K20). And most importantly, it's RWD.

I proceeded to test drive a few 86 cars of both generations (13-16 and 17-up). Let me say the chassis is truly amazing regardless of the year. It turns in nicely and the ability to rotate the car with my foot is great. In this regard, it is very similar to the S2000. It's less edgy and easier/safer to drive at the limit and if i got too ambitious, the electronic nannies steps in. This is a plus as the fear of wrapping the car around a tree has held me back from driving the S2000 to it's limit. Where the 86 really disappoints is the powertrain. It isn't slow per say as i think pure straight line speed is similar, if not ever so slightly faster than the civic. The civic feels faster because of the higher redline and the faster revving engine but that is also what makes it fun. All of the Honda powerplants that i have owned will just keep screaming and pulls harder and harder all the way to the limiter. The VTEC x-over and the sounds they produce is intoxicating. They are so much fun/exciting to drive when you rev the engine out!! I think the problem with the FA20 is the way the power is delivered and the sound of the engine. The FA20 does have some low end grunt when compared to the Honda offerings but it falls very flat in the upper rev range. Absolutely nothing when you put the foot down! The engine feels like it struggles harder and harder as the rev climbs. For a NA engine that is suppose to shine in the upper rev range, this is quite the shortcoming. And the FA20 sounds/feels like a unrefined truck with odd vibrations here and there, especially the 13-16 cars. While the Twins' shifter is decent, it isn't as nice as the Civic's. The entire drivetrain of the SI is far superior.

All this makes it sound like the 86 is a let down but that is not what i am trying to convey. The car has world class handling while offering utility (useable trunk and seats). It's uber fun to toss and slide around safely. As a dual duty sportscar (if such a class even exist lol), it is a great and the only option @ this price point. The only other candidate that i can think of that is remotely close is the 2 series but that is a much heavier platform and in a different class all together. For me, there isn't the perfect car in this segment at the current time. Ideally, i would like a S2000 with 4 seats, or a RWD Civic SI, or a 86 with a more exciting powerplant. However, we know that these cars doesn't exist and if they did, they will cost a lot more than the current 86 or SI. You just have decide what is important to you and choose the car based on your values/needs. I purposely picked up a short term lease as i knew the lazy engine could potentially be a problem for long term ownership. This is more like an extended test drive to see if i can get over it. So far, the verdict is inconclusive.

On another note, there are tangible differences between the 13-16 cars when compared to the 17-up cars with the advantage for the newer samples. The difference is not slight and offers a different driving experience. Most noticeable is the suspension, engine vibrations and the 4.3 final drive. The newer car rides far more compliant resulting in a more comfortable yet sporty ride. The 4.3 final drive actually makes a huge diff with how preppy the car feels to boot around town. I would recommend this mod to anyone that is planning to stay NA. I think this is also the reason why the newer car's troque dip doesn't feel nearly as bad when compared to the older car. All of shortcomings of the older car can be corrected with aftermarket parts but that adds to the final cost, something to keep in mind when shopping for used units.
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Petah78 For This Useful Post:
Feistyfrog (01-29-2020), jcw99 (05-15-2020), JesseG (01-30-2020), steel86gt (05-14-2020), Vracer111 (02-01-2020)