follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
Windycity

Drives: 2013 Scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dealer replaced ECU, now OFT won't work, any ideas??

I brought my car into the dealership for the valve spring recall. Two weeks later, the slip angle light, traction control light and check engine light came on and the car is really slow. I take the car back, and they state, it's an unrelated problem that the cam sprockets are bad and they damaged the ECU. Ok fine, so $2600 later, I get the car back, running well. I wanted to put back in my tune but obviously the Open Flash Tablet won't work now because it's married to the old ECU. What can I do? Any ideas??

Thanks for any insight/help
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,064 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
You can t do anything, you should have put the stock map before so to unmarry oft
Now it s kinda bricked
Maybe you can contact OFT and ask rhem if they can reset it if you send it to them
But you can t do anything to make it work, unless you ask them the old ecu and see if you can install it back and unmarry the oft
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm not sure, but I think @steve99 said that the dealer needs to put the old vin in the ECU and that the OFT should work.
As far as I know the OFT is linked to the VIN number.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
Danklvr

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Argento
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Danklvr
one of 2 things happened... same happened to me..
1. orgininal ecu had your vin# written to it, new ecu does has blank vin#. Solution, use Tech Stream to write vin# to new ECU, then your OFT will work.
2. Old ecu didn't have vin# written, but new ecu does. In this case you'd best be on the lookout for someone with the same year / model, ecu that does not have vin# written to it, flash stock tune to other ecu, unmarry OFT, then re-marry to "your" new esc.

#2 happened to me. Nothing you can do short of sending it (oft) back to OpenFlash for replacement credit, and order a new one. Or just buy Tactrix and use OFT for real time guages.

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?
Danklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Check the VIN number on new ecu matches whats storred in oft. Id say dealer forgot to set vin number in new ecu or they typed it in wrong
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
I brought my car into the dealership for the valve spring recall. Two weeks later, the slip angle light, traction control light and check engine light came on and the car is really slow. I take the car back, and they state, it's an unrelated problem that the cam sprockets are bad and they damaged the ECU. Ok fine, so $2600 later, I get the car back, running well. I wanted to put back in my tune but obviously the Open Flash Tablet won't work now because it's married to the old ECU. What can I do? Any ideas??

Thanks for any insight/help

That sounds like you need to talk to toyota or subaru head office. Tjey worked on those can sprokets and if thats what causes issue then you shouldnt be paying
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
Windycity

Drives: 2013 Scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys, I did flash the ECU back to stock before this whole thing started. I emailed Open Flash, and they said "

You'll need to flash the ORIGNAL file, back to the ORIGINAL ECU (after re-installing it).

Then, erase your OFT, install your new ECU again, and install the OFT onto the car once again."

I'm going to try erasing the OFT as they suggested, then try and see. If not then I'll try the Tactrix.

I did contact Toyota Corporate, and they supposedly will reimburse me $750 but I had to pay the whole thing first.

Still it should never have even happened....
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote