follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
Z86

Drives: 86 GTS Auto in Pegasus White
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iOS in the car

Well this is a feature I look forward to, just hope that after market head units will be able to incorporate it. Don't want to have to buy a new car for this feature :-)

Be great to see Pioneer with a head unit that supports iOS in the Car as well as AppRadio and Mirrorlink - pretty much covers all bases.
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/#carintegration

And please don't troll with what mobile OS is better - the reality is that there are lots of people that use different ones (I was going to say both but apparently there are more than 2)
Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
HooverFish

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine Automatic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
this is the kind of exclusivity crap that just ends up pissing a lot of people off at the end of the day. There's open technologies and standards which work JUST FINE for what people need but nope, everybody rushes to Apple's closed environment and just craps on the rest of us... sorta like this little thing called Bespoke that's in my car but completely and utterly useless to me (thank god it was a free upgrade).

This isn't about which mobile OS is better, it's about wanting everybody to play fair instead of playing favorites which when you look at the numbers, aren't actually favorites AT ALL.
HooverFish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HooverFish For This Useful Post:
coyote (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
Z86

Sometimes exclusivity delivers a better product?
I don't know what open technologies and standards you think work just fine for mobile device integration but lets face it - appradio is not perfect (and not open) , mirrorlink is FAR from perfect and I'm sure this won't be either. But - if aftermarket head units can incorporate the iOS technology along with others that are out there, then the consumer can choose what device fits best for them with the associated technology.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Zippy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverFish View Post
this is the kind of exclusivity crap that just ends up pissing a lot of people off at the end of the day. There's open technologies and standards which work JUST FINE for what people need but nope, everybody rushes to Apple's closed environment and just craps on the rest of us... sorta like this little thing called Bespoke that's in my car but completely and utterly useless to me (thank god it was a free upgrade).
Clearly you have not got a clue. OS X has been open source since day one. Facetime is also open source. Apple has been a huge open source proponent for years. Make sure you get your fact straight before going off.

The only major thing apple has not open sourced is their GUI and their apps. From a computer/device security standpoint, I'm glad of it. It's a lot harder to make exploits when you do not have the code to look at.

Quote:
This isn't about which mobile OS is better, it's about wanting everybody to play fair instead of playing favorites which when you look at the numbers, aren't actually favorites AT ALL.
I'm looking at it this way. Apple is forcing companies to get with the times and support new technology. Do you honestly believe that droid based OS's will not have something similar soon? If it was Samsung making this push do you think the head unit manufactures would do anything? I could care less where it starts. I just want it to start and I am glad Apple has pushed for it by making it easier for the head unit manufacturers to incorporate. To be honest this kind of integration should have happened years ago!
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zippy For This Useful Post:
Tim_Asphalt_FRS (06-12-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
Clearly you have not got a clue. OS X has been open source since day one. Facetime is also open source. Apple has been a huge open source proponent for years. Make sure you get your fact straight before going off.

The only major thing apple has not open sourced is their GUI and their apps. From a computer/device security standpoint, I'm glad of it. It's a lot harder to make exploits when you do not have the code to look at.

I'm looking at it this way. Apple is forcing companies to get with the times and support new technology. Do you honestly believe that droid based OS's will not have something similar soon? If it was Samsung making this push do you think the head unit manufactures would do anything? I could care less where it starts. I just want it to start and I am glad Apple has pushed for it by making it easier for the head unit manufacturers to incorporate. To be honest this kind of integration should have happened years ago!
LOLOLOLOL you ALMOST had me there. I actually thought you were serious. Well played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z86 View Post
Sometimes exclusivity delivers a better product?
I don't know what open technologies and standards you think work just fine for mobile device integration but lets face it - appradio is not perfect (and not open) , mirrorlink is FAR from perfect and I'm sure this won't be either. But - if aftermarket head units can incorporate the iOS technology along with others that are out there, then the consumer can choose what device fits best for them with the associated technology.
iOS from a pure technology standpoint will never see native support in something like a head unit. The problem, aside from being made by Apple, is in it's core design. The limited way iOS handles sandboxing with regards to apps would indicate a fatal flaw to providing a great ICE interface. In a vehicle, which is probably moving, you don't want to have to cycle through 10 different screens to change a track or perform some other typical ICE function. With Android, you can create apps that talk directly between themselves or a service running in the background. I would check out a native Android head unit, and if you really want the iOS look/feel... download Espier Launcher from the Play Store to use on it.

Cliff notes: The inherent limitations of the core iOS design would prevent useful, competitive implementation of an ICE interface. Or in other words, it would be a PITA to use in a car because of how they made iOS.

Last edited by 2forme; 06-11-2013 at 08:59 AM.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
SkullWorks (06-13-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Z86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
In a vehicle, which is probably moving, you don't want to have to cycle through 10 different screens to change a track or perform some other typical ICE function.
So that's pretty much what this new feature in iOS 7 delivers. It's not iOS on the head unit, but it lets the head unit deliver the core functions with 1 touch... Well zero touches if you use Siri.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z86 View Post
So that's pretty much what this new feature in iOS 7 delivers. It's not iOS on the head unit, but it lets the head unit deliver the core functions with 1 touch... Well zero touches if you use Siri.
Link?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Zippy

Quote:
LOLOLOLOL you ALMOST had me there. I actually thought you were serious. Well played.
http://www.opensource.apple.com/

iOS source code, OSX source code, and Developer tools all open sourced. Looks like they pulled the open source of Facetime. I was serious!

Quote:
iOS from a pure technology standpoint will never see native support in something like a head unit. The problem, aside from being made by Apple, is in it's core design. The limited way iOS handles sandboxing with regards to apps would indicate a fatal flaw to providing a great ICE interface. In a vehicle, which is probably moving, you don't want to have to cycle through 10 different screens to change a track or perform some other typical ICE function. With Android, you can create apps that talk directly between themselves or a service running in the background. I would check out a native Android head unit, and if you really want the iOS look/feel... download Espier Launcher from the Play Store to use on it.

Cliff notes: The inherent limitations of the core iOS design would prevent useful, competitive implementation of an ICE interface. Or in other words, it would be a PITA to use in a car because of how they made iOS.
You can get the developer tools here for iOS 7
https://developer.apple.com/
Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
johnnie

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, it can be opensource, but if you can only run unsigned code if you hack your device and void your warranty that's not an open system by any standard. It's a walled garden controlled by Apple. They've been caught delaying and rejecting competitors apps just to protect their turf.

So yeah, i'd much rather have a headunit with android or some other system that allows unsigned code to run.
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
2forme

Garage
Quote:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/

iOS source code, OSX source code, and Developer tools all open sourced. Looks like they pulled the open source of Facetime. I was serious!
You can get the developer tools here for iOS 7
https://developer.apple.com/
Yea, ok. Show me an iDevice that allows you to add your open source iOS ROM on it . I would love to create my own flavor of iOS or OSX and load it on an iDevice. You can't. Apple will not let you do anything open source on any of their products. Hell, Apple sued a company who developed a software package that installed OSX on a non Apple PC. Of course that didn't stop me from ripping OSX off my MPBr and installing a real OS on it.

I know they have a developer tool kit. You'd need one to develop apps.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Zippy

A friend of mine has a first gen iPhone running gentoo linux. Where there is a will there is a way. He had to pull some chips and figure out how to flash his OS on to it, but he did it. And as for the apps end, apple has never stopped you from importing an app into itunes and then syncing it to your iPhone. I have the original Siri app before apple bought them in my app list still. I had it on my iPhone 4 back when the 4S was the only one they let run it. As long as the app is in the correct format you can import it in to iTunes. The reason why everyone sells there apps through iTunes is the customer base is so large. If you can sell 10,000 copies of your app from your website or 10,000,000 copies of your app through iTunes, which would you choose?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
jlu

Drives: Asphalt AT FR-S
Quote:

As an iOS user of Bespoke... trust me, you're not missing much at all.

(Fair disclosure: I don't know what I'm missing because the BeSpoke head unit isn't compatible with my iPhone 5. I have downloaded the app though, and it is miserably bad.)
jlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
johnnie

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
A friend of mine has a first gen iPhone running gentoo linux. Where there is a will there is a way. He had to pull some chips and figure out how to flash his OS on to it, but he did it. And as for the apps end, apple has never stopped you from importing an app into itunes and then syncing it to your iPhone. I have the original Siri app before apple bought them in my app list still. I had it on my iPhone 4 back when the 4S was the only one they let run it. As long as the app is in the correct format you can import it in to iTunes. The reason why everyone sells there apps through iTunes is the customer base is so large. If you can sell 10,000 copies of your app from your website or 10,000,000 copies of your app through iTunes, which would you choose?
Sorry, but you're wrong. If you use iOS with Jailbreak, which voids the warranty and is even illegal in some places, you basically can't install anything that is not approved by apple and digitally signed by them. Unless you use one of the hacks that surfaced recently, but which are not here by design. They are simply hacks, that can be broken at any time.

So yeah you can't really say the system is open just because you can hack it, void warranties, and have to jump through hoops in every step of the process just to install an "hello world" app.
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
2forme

Garage
Quote:
As long as the app is in the correct format you can import it in to iTunes. The reason why everyone sells there apps through iTunes is the customer base is so large. If you can sell 10,000 copies of your app from your website or 10,000,000 copies of your app through iTunes, which would you choose?
I would choose the store that has more available users. Play store. Considering Apple only holds 1/3 or so marketshare out of smartphones...

And no, not every app is able to be sold through iTunes. Apple monitors what apps are released and removes them if they conflict with something Apple offers or just doesn't like.

Again, I'd like to see a customized version of iOS (since you claim it's open source) that is able to be installed on an iDevice. Android is open source and has a ton of different customized flavors able to be loaded. That's open source....