follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #71
yamrossi

Drives: Saving for a BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I started looking around the forum for ways other than FI.
And of course being in CA means the annoying but absolutely required CARB.
That leaves us with FI or NA tune.
Yeah there are alternatives like removing headers before smog. But the point of a DD is to not have to do that.
I doubt vendors will put the time, effort and money to go CARB for Headers.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
yamrossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #72
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamrossi View Post
Haha. I agree. Sometimes though it irritates me. Coz only after I start overtake, they feel the need to pick up their pace.
I can imagine the BRZs power may fall short..

Two word answer:

Down shift!
Jordan Silveira (04-03-2016), pfaffendorn (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #73
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I could still pass them if I waited out the torque dip
Quote:
Haha. I agree. Sometimes though it irritates me. Coz only after I start overtake, they feel the need to pick up their pace.
I can imagine the BRZs power may fall short.
Third gear is your friend in this situation and is what I mean about learning to operate smoothly with the tach needle pointed straight up.

Whether you rake through fifth and fourth, or double clutch into third, with a little practice, it becomes second nature to get into the powerband with zero drama.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #74
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Two word answer:

Down shift!
Man, you downshifted 20 minutes earlier than me. I'm just sitting here drinking my coffee and zoom!
Old 04-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #75
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I can imagine the BRZs power may fall short..

Thanks for your classic remarks. A perfect description of highway hijinks by children with driver licenses. They bought that $75000 behemoth for some kind of reason, but I seriously doubt it's going to keep up with a BRZ pulling away at highway speed when one quick downshift puts you on the boost side of that dip. Ever notice what happens to one of those 3-ton automatic sludgebuckets when they floor the gas pedal? A lurch, a huge roar -- and no movement at all.

Choosing to save up for a BRZ shows some taste and wisdom, but offering opinions about the car's performance before you have any experience owning and driving one is the kind of herd-think that doesn't flatter you. Wait until you get some of your own hours behind your own wheel before you judge.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #76
yamrossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffendorn View Post
Thanks for your classic remarks. A perfect description of highway hijinks by children with driver licenses. They bought that $75000 behemoth for some kind of reason, but I seriously doubt it's going to keep up with a BRZ pulling away at highway speed when one quick downshift puts you on the boost side of that dip.

Choosing to save up for a BRZ shows some taste and wisdom, but offering opinions about the car's performance before you have any experience owning and driving one is the kind of herd-think that doesn't flatter you. Wait until you get some of your own hours behind your own wheel before you judge.

I am NOT offering advice on the cars performance.
This happens to me even when am driving my current car.
The rest of my opinions are based solely on my research from this forum.
I DO NOT talk about how the car drives or experiences.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #77
yamrossi

Also I said the car MAY fall short. To which TCoat and Ultramarron corrected me.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #78
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am NOT offering advice on the cars performance.
This happens to me even when am driving my current car.
The rest of my opinions are based solely on my research from this forum.
I DO NOT talk about how the car drives or experiences.
Based on info that I researched on here and other sites prior to purchasing the car I had set aside enough cash to pick up a super charger as soon as I took delivery. After one week of owning the car that cash went back into the general coffer of my finances. To read here the torque dip is debilitating and the car can not keep up with a bicycle. The reality of it is very different. I know some want more power but is a want vs need situation.
Ultramaroon (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #79
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Two word answer:

Down shift!
Usually you can but when you're already doing about 60kph @4000rpm in 2nd and that is already 10 over the limit, it's not really an option.

I just bring it up because it's happened to me a few times and as recently as yesterday. There are a few 2 lane roads with 50kph limits in my city that are usually dead outside of rush hour that I drive on every day. Yesterday, I was behind an old guy in a pickup doing 40 on one of these roads. I need to be in that lane in the next few intersections but I get annoyed being behind people who won't do the speed limit. But no problem I think, just go around him. I'm already in 2nd gear so it should be nothing so I change lanes and start to accelerate but then he chooses to accelerate too and I can't gain on him. Look down, I'm only at 4000rpm and I'm already doing 60 so I let off and stay behind him. If he's doing 10 over then that's fine by me but of course, he had slowed back down to his cruising speed of 40 by the next intersection.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #80
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
[QUOTE=Lynxis;2608790]Usually you can but when you're already doing about 60kph @4000rpm in 2nd and that is already 10 over the limit, it's not really an option.[y/QUOTE]

Well, Lynxis, I can now see how the situation you describe could paint you into a very small corner. After doing the math, the 2-lane road you describe sounds to me like a low-speed suburban lane, on which 3rd gear would probably be our maximum range anyway. Not an optimum situation to allow the BRZ to shine; no way we're going to get the tach needle straight up without getting a ticket. For that street and that old fart, you're best negotiating the pass with one of those Mustang type super-HP beasts. When Tcoat and Ultramaroon suggested downshifting to third, I'm sure they imagined, as I did, a freeway where you're already flying in 5th or 6th, and then downshifting to get that tach needle straight up (meaning about 6000 rpm). That's where our twins shine, and where our engines sing. They are sports cars, after all, and they like speed.

Lynxis (04-04-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #81
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've been beaten by an Accord before. But it was because I didn't know we were racing (was shifting at 2.5k, doing 40kph in 3rd).

Not a drag racer, that's for sure...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:52 AM   #82
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Based on info that I researched on here and other sites prior to purchasing the car I had set aside enough cash to pick up a super charger as soon as I took delivery. After one week of owning the car that cash went back into the general coffer of my finances. To read here the torque dip is debilitating and the car can not keep up with a bicycle. The reality of it is very different. I know some want more power but is a want vs need situation.

Stock, the car will slow down going uphill on the highway even if you bury the pedal if you're in the torque dip region. Tune got rid of that issue almost entirely.

The car takes relearning as it's weak in the midrange where most everything else people will drive will have a nice peak in the midrange. The overall powerband of the twins feels like 80's turbo stuff, torque from the larger engine, lag, then a nice kick in the ass once the turbo kicks in. Miata is a lore more linear so it feels easier (though in reality I can take the back roads around here in 6th's when I had to downshift in the Miata ). This is probably why people think the car is slower as it simply feels that way. Hell, my favorite back roads that I used to enjoy in a Miata are a bit boring in the BRZ because it's limits are higher and the car stays flatter (plus the seats hold you instead of sliding around).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Usually you can but when you're already doing about 60kph @4000rpm in 2nd and that is already 10 over the limit, it's not really an option.

I just bring it up because it's happened to me a few times and as recently as yesterday. There are a few 2 lane roads with 50kph limits in my city that are usually dead outside of rush hour that I drive on every day. Yesterday, I was behind an old guy in a pickup doing 40 on one of these roads. I need to be in that lane in the next few intersections but I get annoyed being behind people who won't do the speed limit. But no problem I think, just go around him. I'm already in 2nd gear so it should be nothing so I change lanes and start to accelerate but then he chooses to accelerate too and I can't gain on him. Look down, I'm only at 4000rpm and I'm already doing 60 so I let off and stay behind him. If he's doing 10 over then that's fine by me but of course, he had slowed back down to his cruising speed of 40 by the next intersection.

I've been known to use first gear... Nothing wrong with going for it, just rev match.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #83
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
When you guys say downshift I just think of dropping the hammer.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A20KzXppC9g"]cole trickle drops the hammer - YouTube[/ame]
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:40 AM   #84
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
So I started looking around the forum for ways other than FI.
And of course being in CA means the annoying but absolutely required CARB.
That leaves us with FI or NA tune.
Yeah there are alternatives like removing headers before smog. But the point of a DD is to not have to do that.
I doubt vendors will put the time, effort and money to go CARB for Headers.

Another option, regear the rear end to 4.65 or 4.88. That is what the car should have had in the first place.