follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #1
Walldodger

Drives: Four wheels, two seats, etc
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post roll cage lap time differences

Has anyone noticed much of an increase in lap times after installing a cage?
Im almost committed on installing one. Kind of hoping it's not a big difference.
Thanks,
Walldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
MurderousPandas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walldodger View Post
Im almost committed on installing one. Kind of hoping it's not a big difference.
Thanks,
Adding weight, you can expect acceleration to drop, but you'll probably end up doing some weight reduction if you go that route.
I think what you should be asking yourself is do you need a roll cage? Safety is not something to question because of performance.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
MurderousPandas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MurderousPandas For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Not my personal experience, but one of the people that regularly track his 86 along with me and others. He installed a roll bar (or half cage, only the rear portion) and bucket seat with harness. He dropped around 1sec in a 1min lap with that alone. In his words "I feel more connected to the car, I can feel much more with my bum, and I dont need to hold onto the wheel or support myself with the knees so its a lot easier to do it". I cant say anything myself, only what I have heard, he is the only one racing a before and after cage (others went cage right away, because of wheel to wheel regulations).

Edit: weight wise, the stripping of the interior plus the ligther seat still helped, but he still ended up a touch heavier than before.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
lutfy

Drives: 2022 LR Defender, 2015 FRS_ST5/TT5
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks,
Cage should NEVER be considered a performance option. It should ALWAYS be considered a safety option.

There are many things you need to consider with a cage. Its not advisable to drive it everyday, most folks only trailer their car since the cage is so close to the head.

Secondly, when you cage, you strip the interior out so net net weight is more or less the same.

While I have not experienced any performance gains (lap time wise with data) in my previous race cars before and after, I can attest that I am a LOT more comfortable, less tired and therefore perhaps faster being pinned in a race seat with harness and with some peace that my Hans device is also intact. Is the chassis stiffer, absolutely. But I did it for safety since I was in wheel to wheel (as its also a requirement).

For my FRS, I am having it half caged (roll bar) with seats and harness vs a full cage since I will be driving it to and from the track vs having a truck/trailer/race car.

Hope this helps.

Lutfy
lutfy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lutfy For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
byun

Drives: 2015 BRZ CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I've noticed i've gotten quicker post roll bar w/ harness and fixed back seat. You are much more relaxed and not bracing yourself so you can feel how the car is reacting faster giving you more control.

I've left the rear interior seats and panels in, but did offset with lightweight battery a bit so not sure my car gained that much weight.
byun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to byun For This Useful Post:
lutfy (05-24-2017), TofuJoe (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
Walldodger

Drives: Four wheels, two seats, etc
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderousPandas View Post
Safety is not something to question because of performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Cage should NEVER be considered a performance option. It should ALWAYS be considered a safety option.
My intentions are to make my racing safer. Not 100% concerned on times, It's just a "nice to know". Wanting to get a harness and HANS device and want to top them off with a cage. Currently planning on a half/four point/roll bar type cage. Would just get a full cage but I still want to daily the car, and local laws make it difficult.
I've used two of my nine lives at the track over the years and don't want to get hurt by another stupid mistake.
I have started using a race seat just on track days and have noticed a huge difference in comfort and confidence with that alone.
Thanks for all your input!
Walldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Typical rollbar is probably in the 60 ish lbs range plus another 15-20 lbs per harness w/ mounting hardware. So just under 100lbs. Depending on what you take out will determine your net weight gain (or loss).

From there one could probably interpolate based on the time increase from having a passenger.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks,
Depends on driving skill level. Anyone driving less than 10/10ths competively is not likely to notice a change in lap times (other than possibly going faster due to the seats and harness and added sense of security).