follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Treize

Drives: 37J 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Turbo burning?

Hello, need help figuring out this issue,recently installed turbo myself Blitz tuner kit with cat.After installation one hose came off and oil spilled cleaned it up as much as possible car smoked a bit then stopped smoking.But I noticed this burning smell checked to make sure no hoses were rubbing any belt or nothing too close to one another. But after driving a bit I observed what looks to be the turbo burning there was faint smoke coming from it,the part particularly in the pic.any ideal? I was thinking maybe I clamped the hose too tight or wrong spot?
Attached Images

Treize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
If there's no residue on the CHRA you can see and nothing around that bolt, I wonder if it's leaking inside of that line and you can't see it because you've covered it in a heat management tubing. I'd honestly cut a little slit at the lowest point in that tubing and see if oil starts dripping out.

EDIT: Just realized, if that tubing is NOT COVERING something or SS braided line, I retract everything I've written; don't cut it!
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
Treize

That line is SS braided. On the other side of that is a hose that goes that connects to the oil pan the oil return line. That's what I'm referring to. The pic is just to show what part the smoke is coming from,its that part of the housing where its smoking.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
sid94

Drives: 2013 frs
Did you put the crush washers on both ends of the banjo bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treize View Post
That line is SS braided. On the other side of that is a hose that goes that connects to the oil pan the oil return line. That's what I'm referring to. The pic is just to show what part the smoke is coming from,its that part of the housing where its smoking.
And there's no oil leak at the other end of that hose (At the fitting going into the oil pan)? I was suspecting the line leaking and the smoke coming out of your hose cover; this may make it seem like the fitting is smoking, when it's actually coming from the hose itself. Since it's the drain line, I guess there's no lowest point to poke and see if oil comes out.

As stated elsewhere, it may be this fitting. How long total has this kit been installed? This may be explained away if it's been less than two weeks and there are no visible leaks. Hopefully it's not that your oil drain line is backing up into the turbo and putting pressure onto the seals.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
Treize

Kit has been on there a week maybe week and a half,sat in garage after initial leaks found due to time constraints. there was an initial leak from the fitting there but that was taken care of.but I'll double check that area.

Edit:found the leak.
Attached Images

Last edited by Treize; 10-29-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

I'll admit, I have no idea what I'm seeing. But glad you found the leak
Old 10-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #8
Treize

It's where the compressor connects to the headers. I'll try to get it taken care of asap. Another question or 2, I have my afr gauge wired into the dimmer switch but it only comes on when I turn on the lights. Did I tap into the wrong wire? Also is there a way to extend a power harness or somewhere I can tap into near the top of the dash,the power harness for my boost gauge is too short to reach the side panel.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #9
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treize View Post
It's where the compressor connects to the headers. I'll try to get it taken care of asap. Another question or 2, I have my afr gauge wired into the dimmer switch but it only comes on when I turn on the lights. Did I tap into the wrong wire? Also is there a way to extend a power harness or somewhere I can tap into near the top of the dash,the power harness for my boost gauge is too short to reach the side panel.
You likely need both connectors connected. It sounds like you wired the constant accessory to the dimmer. Constant 12v should be hooked to a constant. There should be another wire that goes to the dimmer. Wires are wires, so theoretically you can extend them as far as you please. Just use the correct gauge of wire that matches what you're extending, and make quality connections. Don't just twist wires together and hope it works out long term
Old 10-29-2018, 11:52 PM   #10
Treize

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
You likely need both connectors connected. It sounds like you wired the constant accessory to the dimmer. Constant 12v should be hooked to a constant. There should be another wire that goes to the dimmer. Wires are wires, so theoretically you can extend them as far as you please. Just use the correct gauge of wire that matches what you're extending, and make quality connections. Don't just twist wires together and hope it works out long term
Gotcha,I'll rewire it. The burning smell has returned and the leak gone,the fitting on the turbo where the drain hose is connected has oil around the the base of the fitting which is where the smoke and smell is coming from.