follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2022, 06:47 AM   #29
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Wait for the MT if that is what you want. A few months, even a year is not that long to get something you want. This is not an AT vs MT thread, it’s a get what you want thread and having patience.
Like just about every single thread ever posted.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #30
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Canada's driving requirements are pretty lax too.
I think its similar to Murica.

It used to be 25 questino written test + driving portion (had the hill park, paralell park, and driving around until the tester was sastisfied and you either passed or didnt)

then they introduced a graduated licensing system which would have restricted your driving (something like can't have more than 2 people in the car, can't drive at night after so and so time...something like that...i dont actually know waht the restrictions are) and reduced your available demerit. You had to take a second test at least 6 months after i think to upgrade to "full driver"

We might be rolling back away from the GDL system.....(at least in ALberta)

Oh and if you were immigrating here, you cant just convert your existing drivers license to the Canadian one.....You might need to pass a written test, but im pretty sure there was no driving portion involved (just super easy to get one here)

I've driven since 18 (got my license right before they changed to the GDL system) and i have noticed that every year everyone still sucks at driving in winter, but there may actually more worse drivers now than before and i think that has to do with an increase of immigrants who dont know how to drive in CANADA, so they drive like they do back in their home countries (which for all intents and purposes is alot more chaotic)

A friend from Mexico often tells me he likes driving down there more than here in SoTex. He claims that Mexican traffic is “organically” driven as opposed to “rule” driven. I’m skeptical. Mexican buses have long had the distressing habit of plunging off mountain roads and killing everyone aboard.

Plastering highway with “CURVA PELIGROSA” signs doesn’t seem to help.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #31
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I've driven since 18 (got my license right before they changed to the GDL system) and i have noticed that every year everyone still sucks at driving in winter, but there may actually more worse drivers now than before and i think that has to do with an increase of immigrants who dont know how to drive in CANADA, so they drive like they do back in their home countries (which for all intents and purposes is alot more chaotic)
I agree, when the snow comes its like no one knows how to drive anymore, I have the luxury to stay home on the first few snow falls and hopeful the carnage that happens then will disable the bad drivers for a few months while they wait for their repairs to be done.
Its not just immigrants, people are just not concentrating on doing the driving thing and with all the safety features on new cars that get easily disabled by ice & dirt their safety net is no longer there to save them.
On that first snowfall a nice empty parking is your best friend to fool around in and get back the winter reflexes and remember to stay well away from those hidden curbs…
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:39 PM   #32
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Both cars are going to be good. However, if you have the choice just wait.

Manual is significantly faster
Manuals hold up value in third party yet are cheaper when signing.

The driving experience and fun you can have in the manual is what makes these cars worth it. My first twin a while back was an automatic 13. Loved the car, not a chance I'd go back.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:59 AM   #33
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
A friend from Mexico often tells me he likes driving down there more than here in SoTex. He claims that Mexican traffic is “organically” driven as opposed to “rule” driven. I’m skeptical. Mexican buses have long had the distressing habit of plunging off mountain roads and killing everyone aboard.

Plastering highway with “CURVA PELIGROSA” signs doesn’t seem to help.
I actually tend to think the overseas drivers are BETTER than the ones here in North America. It may be more chaotic but its so effortlessly done. I remember travelling to Malaysia the first time and seeing how the people drive was insane......lanes were ALMOST a suggestion, merging and lane changes were happening all the time with the smallest gaps possible and other drivers just yielded to each other without issue, no slamming on brakes and honking of horns.

Any of those things happening on North American roads and its almost guaranteed to be an accident.

Theres also the fact that here in North America, pedestrians have the right of way over traffic...whereas in other places its the other way around.

circling back to the AT vs MT debate...IMO there are some cars that should be an MT and others where it doesnt matter if its AT or MT. In my case, i used to drive a Scion iM MT. It was fun but that car didn't NEED to be an MT (I got it cuz i wanted an MT). The twins on the other hand i find is a car that SHOULD be driven in MT form. AT is fine if you want it. it comes down to do you want it now (AT) or do you want it later (MT).
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:34 PM   #34
Espi

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I love my AT, I track it, daily and enjoy the versatility of AT. If I had a choice, I'd go manual, but I have a messed up left knee and was the only reason I went AT.

This is a good read if you want help making a decision
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6485
Espi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Espi For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-29-2022), Ernest72 (12-04-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 02:28 PM   #35
Greg Erskine

Drives: Subaru BRZ MY23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hi brzdyl,

If you ever come back?

I just found out the MY23 Subaru BRZ is classified as a "performance vehicle" in New South Wales, Sydney, so driver restrictions apply. Also, some insurance companies will not insure for under 25 year old drivers. Those that will insure, have a large excess.

Not sure if the same applies to Gen 1 cars.

regards
Greg
Greg Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Erskine For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-30-2022)

Tags
auto, brz, faq, manual, transmission