follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2022, 04:09 PM   #43
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Now are they rules of thumb, or just the rules?
Just specific to the 86CUP meta
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (12-02-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 12:36 AM   #44
Apelsin

Drives: Jeep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
We've gone over the meta many times. The rules are an aggregate result, based on the "no budget limit" version of every modification within reason. Because many folks want to game the system, the assumption is that everyone is using a fully optimized part. If they're not, well, at the end of the day, this is a pay to play activity, and to a large degree, pay to win. Driver mod is still costly, albeit, the more difficult but ultimately more rewarding mod.
What is the optimal setup for the stock class, do you know? Is it sx2? Camber bolts and plates? Anything else?
Apelsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 12:48 AM   #45
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apelsin View Post
What is the optimal setup for the stock class, do you know? Is it sx2? Camber bolts and plates? Anything else?
What is optimal for me, will probably not be optimal for you.

What is optimal for one track will probably not be optimal for another.

Quote:
I guess me saying assume the driver can drive the corner perfectly didn’t work . And the only response I got starts with an assumption that I am a newb and can’t drive. Lol. I do have quite a bit of experience but it is with a stock car except for race pads and gt radial sx2 tires. I am reasonably sure I am very close to the limit of what the car can do in its stock form. So was just wondering how much of a difference to expect from mods.
Rather than asking novice questions, why don't you ask questions someone with quite a bit of experience would ask? Your question is that of a newb.

Chances are, I know what an optimal setup is for each track, and for varying driver skill levels, but you've done absolutely nothing to indicate to me that I should be recommend anything other than "safe for a beginner". An edgier car will be faster, but has no place in the hands of a novice. My conscience will not allow me to put you at risk, when you don't understand the consequences, let alone actually comprehend the risk.

If you truly are that experienced and that close to the limit of what your car can do, please, provide me with the evidence.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
SCFD (12-03-2022), Tokay444 (12-03-2022), TommyW (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 07:20 AM   #46
Apelsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
What is optimal for me, will probably not be optimal for you.

What is optimal for one track will probably not be optimal for another.

Rather than asking novice questions, why don't you ask questions someone with quite a bit of experience would ask? Your question is that of a newb.

Chances are, I know what an optimal setup is for each track, and for varying driver skill levels, but you've done absolutely nothing to indicate to me that I should be recommend anything other than "safe for a beginner". An edgier car will be faster, but has no place in the hands of a novice. My conscience will not allow me to put you at risk, when you don't understand the consequences, let alone actually comprehend the risk.

If you truly are that experienced and that close to the limit of what your car can do, please, provide me with the evidence.
Wow. You have tons of info but it is not easy to get it from you. You could have just pointed me to the 86 rule book in the first place and say 1pt=1 sec roughly and we wouldn’t need a 4 pages discussion. You need to know what track I am driving at to tell me which of the three allowable tires is typically used in the stock class? Never mind, forget that I asked
Old 12-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #47
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Wow. You have tons of info but it is not easy to get it from you. You could have just pointed me to the 86 rule book in the first place and say 1pt=1 sec roughly and we wouldn’t need a 4 pages discussion. You need to know what track I am driving at to tell me which of the three allowable tires is typically used in the stock class? Never mind, forget that I asked

1pt=1 sec IF you are capable of extracting the most out of the mod and the mod isn’t a junk part IE BC coilovers vs something like RCE’s.
CSG Mike (12-03-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #48
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree with that, a skid pad is great for learning to recognize and catch oversteer
post an in car vid of yourself and that will help determine your level of experience.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (12-03-2022), Jdmjunkie (12-03-2022), SCFD (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 12:09 PM   #49
Apelsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
post an in car vid of yourself and that will help determine your level of experience.
Thanks but I am not interested in this at all. My main question got answered completely. If I knew about the 86 rule book I wouldn’t ask it. I also now can see the track records for my track from that same 86club portal, so I know how I compare to the pace of an unmodified car, which is the stock class. There are very very few changes to stock allowed in that class according to the rule book. So my additional question was about if any of these tiny variations make a slightest differences. It is not a big deal, you don’t have to answer. I am sure I can ask local guys who run in that stock class
Old 12-03-2022, 12:58 PM   #50
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Newbs gonna newb.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:33 PM   #51
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Quote:
So my additional question was about if any of these tiny variations make a slightest differences. It is not a big deal, you don’t have to answer. I am sure I can ask local guys who run in that stock class
ask a guy in a corvette getting smoked by a guy in a Miata that can drive how much difference a lot of things make.

There are so many small changes in technique that cumulatively make a big difference, way more than small setup changes make. You’re limited in your class setup wise but not limited as far as driving skill.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:55 PM   #52
Apelsin

Well gentlemen, thanks for participating in my thread. I definitely learnt a lot from many of your posts. The 86 cup info that I found through this discussion was so useful to me to understand what to expect from mods and how to compare my times to other drivers at my track. I hope you all enjoy the holiday season.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:36 PM   #53
CSG Mike

Quote:
Thanks but I am not interested in this at all. My main question got answered completely. If I knew about the 86 rule book I wouldn’t ask it. I also now can see the track records for my track from that same 86club portal, so I know how I compare to the pace of an unmodified car, which is the stock class. There are very very few changes to stock allowed in that class according to the rule book. So my additional question was about if any of these tiny variations make a slightest differences. It is not a big deal, you don’t have to answer. I am sure I can ask local guys who run in that stock class
Translation: You heard what you wanted to hear.

It wasn't answered at all.

Good luck and stay safe out there.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #54
SCFD

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
ask a guy in a corvette getting smoked by a guy in a Miata that can drive how much difference a lot of things make.

There are so many small changes in technique that cumulatively make a big difference, way more than small setup changes make. You’re limited in your class setup wise but not limited as far as driving skill.

This guy in the corvette had a bit of trouble shaking me:
SCFD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SCFD For This Useful Post:
TommyW (12-04-2022)
Old 01-07-2023, 08:33 PM   #55
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFD View Post
This guy in the corvette had a bit of trouble shaking me:
Well at least he gave you a point-by, I’m sure he learned a thing or two following you. Lots of track width left on the table and missed apexes.
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to falcon_wizard For This Useful Post:
SCFD (01-08-2023)