follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
IAMTHEWG

Drives: Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The trials of my poor car

So I thought some of you guys might at least get a little kick out of my story. So back in July right after the twins came out the company I work for took our company cars away and we all had to go out and buy new cars. I went out and picked up the FR-S. Since I've had it, nothing but bad luck.

In October right after I got it, I had flown home as soon as I could after hurricane Sandy. I went out that morning at about 5:30 to head up to work. Clearly it was dark and myself and another car had to swerve to avoid a downed tree on the highway. I had to run up a high curb. A lot of damage. At the time no insurance company had replacement parts costs nor were there even parts in the country yet. Took three months and Ended up being 15k worth of damage.

Within 6 months from that my sister backed into my door and crushed it in and then someone at my house backed into the front end of my car in a truck. So I had both of those sets of damage repaired totaling around 6k.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Driving home late at night down route 70 out by Manchester/Pemeberton. One lane each way, no street lights. There's a ton of deer over there and one came full out sprinting trying to cross the road. I slammed it at 55mph and sent in flipping end over end through the air like football out in front of me faster than my car was going. So I get it to the shop again to repair the front end. Surprisingly only about 3k worth of damage. Front bumper, washer pump and bottle, headlights, my HiD's, the led fogs, front fender. Not too bad.

And then I wake up this morning. To a report from the police that my car was robbed at the body shop. Who has a huge fence, everything locked separately and all. So apparently someone scaled the fence, and broke into only my car naturally. I didn't have anything in there apart from my sub and amp on the trunk. They say they didn't get into the trunk so it should be good apart from busting out my window and scratching the paint on the door.

So gentleman if anything ever happens to your cars, be glad it doesn't keep happening haha. Surprisingly I've laughed through all of it. It is what it is and it all gets fixed but I'm so tired of rentals!
IAMTHEWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Hope your luck turns around. Way to keep a positive attitude though. No way in hell I could do that
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
wow, that is a sad story -- You have my condolences friend.
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Majik

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ SWP Limited
Goddam man! Good luck with the rest of the time you decide to keep the car.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
damm...time to trade her in
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
jerseydre

Drives: scion fr white out
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dam bro u have any hair left on ur head ?
jerseydre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
FyeaFRS

Drives: 1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type-M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
lolz, jersey.
FyeaFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
IAMTHEWG

Drives: Scion Fr-s
I still have some hair luckily but it's falling fast! I'll throw a pic when she comes back. Hopefully she's perfect!
-Greddy Evo3 Catback
-LEDs In and Out, LED Fogs, Hids
IAMTHEWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I honestly believe that sometimes you just end up with a "bad luck" car. I had really bad luck with my 99 Accord coupe. It was my first car out of college that I purchased on my own and it was exactly what I wanted, black exterior with black leather interior and manual trans. Within the span of a year, it had to have a rear driver's quarter panel replaced due to a hit and run, the entire front end was repaired after a girl decided to slam on her brakes at the last minute instead of going through a yellow light at 60mph, and then constant issues from wind noise due to the rear quarter panel not being replaced correctly to be level with the door and water in the trunk because the drain tube for the moon roof was not re-routed correctly from the quarter panel replacement.

The final straw was when I took the car to the dealer for the 75K maintenance, told them not to replace the engine oil as I just did it and it turns out they drained some oil and then saw the note to not replace the oil. Instead of putting oil back in to replace what was drained, they left it. I drove it the next day and smoke started coming out the exhaust. Took it home to troubleshoot and the engine was down about 2.5 quarts of oil. After that, the engine was burning oil and it was obvious there was damage to the engine so I cut my losses and traded in the car.

Hated to trade it in as I truly loved that car, but it just wasn't worth it. Every time I touched the car something seemed to go wrong. Hate to say it, but the FR-S may just be a bad luck car for you and you have to just decide whether or not to live with it or cut your losses.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
mjh712
BRZilla

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Limited MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMTHEWG View Post
Clearly it was dark and myself and another car had to swerve to avoid a downed tree on the highway. I had to run up a high curb. A lot of damage. At the time no insurance company had replacement parts costs nor were there even parts in the country yet. Took three months and Ended up being 15k worth of damage.
That must have been one hell of a curb.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
sluflyer06

Drives: 2014 BRZ Ltd - DGM
Just to play devils advocate. Sounds like a combination of bad luck and poor judgement.

When you hit that curb you were going too fast for conditions if you were going faster than your headlights were allowing you to see the road to avoid obstacles. Then when you hit the deer you stated the area had a ton of deer yet you were going 55mph, again too fast for the conditions.

Some much of it was bad luck but you def could have avoided some significant damage had you been more risk adverse.
sluflyer06 is offline   Reply With Quote