follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
pauland

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pioneer HU and Rydeen Duo Camera

Good day, I have just installed a Rydeen Duo camera (ZH07-150B) on my BRZ. I have followed instructions in the manual but cannot make the product work properly. I have an aftermarket Pioneer AVH-X5550BT app radio head unit with a Pioneer adaptor/harness to accommodate my iPhone to function with the HU. As anyone would do, I have connected the Rydeen Duo on my reversing lamp so when the car is put in reverse gear, it would automatically turn the camera on. Unfortunately, it doesnt do that. It just displays the back-up warning on my screen and nothing else. The weird thing is that when i connect my iPhone on the adaptor/harness, put my HU on App Radio mode, then put the car on reverse gear, the camera works 100% of the time. What could be the problem? Am i missing something? Are there any compatibility issues between my head unit and the camera?

Thanks in advance guys.
pauland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have the AVH-X8500BHS and the Rydeen Duo, but haven't hooked the wires up yet. I did physically mount the camera and fish the wires to approximately the right locations yesterday. Have you tried going into your Pioneer X5500 and changing the camera settings from Battery, Ground, and something else? I read in the X8500BHS owner's manual that that might be something that can help.

Just wanted to confirm (for my own installation), you found the purple back-up light power wire and attached it to the Rydeen power near the trunk, grounded the adjacent wire, and connected the back-up trigger wire next to the yellow RCA video plug with the X5500BHS head unit correct?

I'm hoping I can complete my install this afternoon. Keep us updated with anything. Thanks,
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

I got my Rydeen Duo to work with my Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS which should probably be very similar (if not the same) wiring.

I have the Rydeen Duo power tapped into a pink wire (back-up light power) running down the driver side wire bundle. It was a bit of a pain in the ass since it was very thin wire (must have been 22+ gauge) and there was no slack in it. Never the less, I was was finally able to tap into it with some crimps.

The ground wire obviously went to ground. The wire next to the yellow component video out was tied to the Pioneer's head-unit's purple/white wire. This is to trigger the head-unit to display the camera when in reverse.

It works as advertised by Rydeen but I do want to change up the wiring so I can turn on & display the camera whenever I feel like it (and also automatically when set in reverse). So the next time I go into my panels and redo wiring, I'm going to tie the pink tap to the Pioneer purple/white wire so the HU knows when the car is in reverse. As for power to the Duo camera, I'm going to tie the Remote Amp Turn-on to a relay, that will turn on a number of devices, include the Duo camera, my Rockford Fosgate amp, the FRS's powered antenna, and the Microbypass for the Pioneer HU.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
thnguyen0

Drives: Scion FRS
Questions for mit_peid

Hey could u tell me the process of what relay did you use and how were u able to relay all of those and where did you put the relay switch?
thnguyen0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
CandyFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout 5AD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
I got my Rydeen Duo to work with my Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS which should probably be very similar (if not the same) wiring.

I have the Rydeen Duo power tapped into a pink wire (back-up light power) running down the driver side wire bundle. It was a bit of a pain in the ass since it was very thin wire (must have been 22+ gauge) and there was no slack in it. Never the less, I was was finally able to tap into it with some crimps.

The ground wire obviously went to ground. The wire next to the yellow component video out was tied to the Pioneer's head-unit's purple/white wire. This is to trigger the head-unit to display the camera when in reverse.

It works as advertised by Rydeen but I do want to change up the wiring so I can turn on & display the camera whenever I feel like it (and also automatically when set in reverse). So the next time I go into my panels and redo wiring, I'm going to tie the pink tap to the Pioneer purple/white wire so the HU knows when the car is in reverse. As for power to the Duo camera, I'm going to tie the Remote Amp Turn-on to a relay, that will turn on a number of devices, include the Duo camera, my Rockford Fosgate amp, the FRS's powered antenna, and the Microbypass for the Pioneer HU.

@mit_peid Gonna be going with the Rydeen Duo as well with my AVH-X5500. Do you have a picture showing which pink wire to tap into?

Last edited by CandyFRS; 03-04-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: grammer
CandyFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

No, sorry I didn't take a photo. I tapped into it along a bundle of wires along the driver side door. This pink wire was a bit of a pain to tap into primarily because it was so thin (I think probably 24 or maybe 28 gauge). If I were to do it all over again I would try soldering. I don't have that much confidence in the crimps I used/made.