follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #2241
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Last edited by SuperTom; 08-11-2018 at 09:35 PM.
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #2242
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 1,353 Times in 1,006 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Garage
I had the weirdest thing happen yesterday... Leaving my parents house from visiting and this guys pulls up next to me in an SUV and asks "Hey that car is fast right?" I replied no not really.. In fact most modern 4 banger turbo's are faster LOL." He replies of I though those things are turboed or something" and then bones out making a left while I wait to make my right turn... People these days.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
JDL 4-2-1 EL, MXP-SP, Tuned by Zach@CSG
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
Koing Hypergram 17x8 ET40 SX2 GTs 245/40/17
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #2243
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2015 FR-S AT, 2019 CX-5
Thanked 2,052 Times in 1,371 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I had the weirdest thing happen yesterday... Leaving my parents house from visiting and this guys pulls up next to me in an SUV and asks "Hey that car is fast right?" I replied no not really.. In fact most modern 4 banger turbo's are faster LOL." He replies of I though those things are turboed or something" and then bones out making a left while I wait to make my right turn... People these days.

I've had a bunch of weird situations like that. I was filling up on e85 and a person came up to me asking how much power the car had and saying its a fake car, and calling my TRD intake a hot air intake. Was the most awkward altercation with the car yet,

I've also had two twin brothers in the middle of the night when I was filling e85 come up to the windows and put there hands on it while I was talking to the cashier . They also freaked out about how much the car cost and started being quite annoying.

I guess these cars ooze attention
OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #2244
in_sherman

Drives: 2017 BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So much cringe in this thread, but I can't stop reading it... Thank you to everyone for sharing their stories. Technical knowhow and information sharing aside, I think this is my favorite part of the site.

Just about every Charger or Camaro that pulls up behind me in traffic feels the need to tailgate me... OK... you mad, bro?

When I first got the car, I was at the post office. I get in and start to enter tracking information for the shipment on my phone when someone starts tapping on my passenger side window. First, the car was off and I didn't know how to roll down the window without turning the engine on (feel free to laugh at me at this point). The person was my mom's age, she works at the school, small town... so I was like "Shit, do I know this lady...?" So I awkwardly climb out of the car, and she wants to know the gas mileage...? I tell her, adding "when I drive it responsibly"... she responds by saying "OH COME ON, that's not why you buy a car like this. Anyways, nice ride, bye!"
in_sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #2245
MuseChaser
Wheeeeee Tired!

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,685 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Are you a Millennial?

If there has ever been a question that did not need to be asked, it's this one. Might as well have asked, "used any oxygen today?" or "was the internet used to access this forum?"

On the other hand, Clipdat, sometimes in nice to see my thoughts magically materialize in print..thanks!
Clipdat (08-27-2018), Leonardo (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #2246
MuseChaser
Wheeeeee Tired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
"Unfairly persecuted" is probably an overly dramatic way to put it, but sure lol. The first response to my post was "Why are you posting about participating in street racing?" which frankly I think is a pretty stupid question to ask in a thread specifically about being challenged to races. Sure, it violates the "No Street Racing" rule. No excuses there. And you say that mods have removed other posts, and I have no reason to not believe that. But there are tons of posts with people talking about street racing that haven't been removed. Because of all those other posts, it seemed pretty clear to me it wasn't a very strict or enforced rule, and then to be asked "Why are you posting about participating in street racing?" as if it was unthinkable that I would do such a thing just struck me as ridiculous. And then you and others doubled down on the attitude and the "STREET RACING KILLS INNOCENT PEOPLE" spiel and here we are.

If the mods see fit to remove my post or ban me, that's their prerogative. And I did violate the rules, so I can understand. But the way you, Clipdat, and FRSBRZGT86FAN have responded to my post is one of the most holier-than-thou, white-knighty, goody-goody two shoes type of things I've ever seen.

Then permit me to respond, and I'll try and be real clear.
The purpose of this thread, as evidenced in the somewhat needling phraseology in the title, "'Come race me, Bro" encounters," is for us to describe incidents in which idiots who question their own confidence, self-worth, and probably manhood, drive up mext to us and try to entice us to race simply because of the way our car looks. While making fun of other people, especially the intellectually and/or morally handicapped, is not a desirable character trait, THAT IS WHAT WE ARE DOING.
By accepting an idiot's challenge, you have shown yourself to be a selfish, thoughtless idiot too. When others tried to point that out to you in a much kinder manner than me, you doubled down, proving the point.

Grow up. Fast. Maybe you'll end up giving some one else who's on the same roads as you are an opportunity to grow up too, rather than you denying them that opportunity if you get my drift. If that's too vague, let me know.
No, I'm not an internet tough guy, no, I don't like to fight, yes, I'd say this to your face, and yes, you may very well be able to (choose favorite) kick my ass/openupacanowhoopass/win a poetry slam, but I don't care. STOP RISKING OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES.
Tristor (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:36 PM   #2247
Clipping_Path

Drives: 13 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_sherman View Post
Just about every Charger or Camaro that pulls up behind me in traffic feels the need to tailgate me... OK... you mad, bro?
I get this all the time and it's always the guy simply trying to figure out what the car is. The twins are still pretty uncommon in my area. And the Valenti's and Toyota badge throw quite a few people since it's only lived under the Toyota banner for 2 years. I still get asked at gas stations from Mustang and Dodge owners if it's the new Supra.
Clipping_Path is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipping_Path For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (08-30-2018), Tcoat (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #2248
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Then permit me to respond, and I'll try and be real clear.
The purpose of this thread, as evidenced in the somewhat needling phraseology in the title, "'Come race me, Bro" encounters," is for us to describe incidents in which idiots who question their own confidence, self-worth, and probably manhood, drive up mext to us and try to entice us to race simply because of the way our car looks. While making fun of other people, especially the intellectually and/or morally handicapped, is not a desirable character trait, THAT IS WHAT WE ARE DOING.
By accepting an idiot's challenge, you have shown yourself to be a selfish, thoughtless idiot too. When others tried to point that out to you in a much kinder manner than me, you doubled down, proving the point.

Grow up. Fast. Maybe you'll end up giving some one else who's on the same roads as you are an opportunity to grow up too, rather than you denying them that opportunity if you get my drift. If that's too vague, let me know.
No, I'm not an internet tough guy, no, I don't like to fight, yes, I'd say this to your face, and yes, you may very well be able to (choose favorite) kick my ass/openupacanowhoopass/win a poetry slam, but I don't care. STOP RISKING OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES.
As I've said to basically everyone else, calm down deputy.

First of all, I don't know where you got the impression that I think I can kick anyone's ass or, more importantly, that I think that has anything to do with my doing a highway pull against a sportbike with nobody else around. Wanna quote a post of mine that gave you that impression? Calm down dude. You, and Clipdat for that matter, seem to have some image about who you think I am based on a couple of posts on a message board. Like I said to Tcoat (who actually seemed willing to have a real discussion), I'm not some dumb teenager trying to start a d*ck waving contest.
(PS, most millenials are around 30 now, so I encourage you guys to find a new way to try and dismiss and infantalize people you disagree with without actually refuting anything they say)

Secondly, you can write whatever you want about what you believe the intent of this thread is, but the reality is that's just your interpretation. The OP just said "post some of your encounters you've had", which is exactly what I did. Whether I accepted the challenge or not is basically irrelevant, even if it is against the forum rules. Like I said before, tons of other people have shared similar stories to mine with no backlash. If the mods wanna crack down and enforce that rule harder, I won't argue lol. Otherwise, I feel like your argument doesn't really hold much water.

And as I thought I made pretty clear, I'm not on some moral high horse about street racing. I'm not gonna try and argue with you that street racing isn't stupid or dangerous. That said, I fail to see how I was putting anyone but myself and the dude who challenged me in danger. It was on a straight, open section of highway with basically nothing but grass on either side and literally no other cars on the road as far as I could see, which was the only reason I accepted the challenge in the first place. Whose life do you think I'm risking in that situation besides my own and the dude who challenged me? I'll embrace my own stupid impulses every now and then, but I'm not so naive as to think my actions don't affect others. So you can save the "stop risking other peoples lives" stuff for someone else.

In the spirit of the thread, I'll share another, much less eventuful one, since it basically shows exactly what I mean. I got challenged to a race just yesterday by some dude in a Prelude. I pulled onto the highway and accelerated pretty quickly to around 75 (about how fast the rest of traffic was going) then put on my cruise control. I guess he thought I was doing a flyby or something, so he caught up, paced me, and shrugged at me like "Whatcha tryin to do?". There were plenty of other cars around, and I didn't want to put anyone other than me or him in danger, so I just smiled, shrugged back and kept the same speed I was. He eventually just drove off. Not sure what he thought was gonna happen, since even if I wanted to race him, the lanes weren't clear. Like I said, I'll indulge my own impulses and may be down to race sometimes, but not when I think other people could get hurt.

Last edited by qcbaker; 08-29-2018 at 02:21 PM.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
KidRich (08-30-2018), Tristor (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #2249
MuseChaser
Wheeeeee Tired!

Quote:
As I've said to basically everyone else, calm down deputy.
Thank you for the advice. I tend to get a little bugged when people's lives are at stake, including yours and the guy on the sportbike you raced; I'll try and take human life a little less seriously in the future.

Quote:
..... Like I said, I'll indulge my own impulses and may be down to race sometimes, but not when I think other people could get hurt.
Soo.. on public highways, everyone ELSE should trust your judgement as to whether or not you're endangering us? I think that it's not up to you to decide when and where street racing is safe enough. That's what I think.

I originally posted because of the following statements you made in an earlier post:

"..and then to be asked 'Why are you posting about participating in street racing?' as if it was unthinkable that I would do such a thing just struck me as ridiculous. And then you and others doubled down on the attitude and the "STREET RACING KILLS INNOCENT PEOPLE" spiel and here we are.
.... But the way you, Clipdat, and FRSBRZGT86FAN have responded to my post is one of the most holier-than-thou, white-knighty, goody-goody two shoes type of things I've ever seen."

From those statements, I got the idea that you thought..
1. It is thinkable that folks would post about street racing, and that it's perfecty acceptable thing to do, especially since you did it and are defending your post of it.
2. You think that "STREET RACING KILLS INNOCENT PEOPLE" is just a "spiel," indicating that you think it's a totally overblown, unnecessary cautionary tale for people who aren't as skilled/careful/aware as you are. News flash.. that's what EVERYONE thinks until they die or they kill someone.
3. Responding to your post and calling attention to the dangers of street racing makes one a goody-goody two shoes. Therefore, it is way more hip and cool to street race than to caution against it.
I'm doing my best to have a conversation. Can you take a step back, look at what you wrote, and see why people are attempting to help you avoid tragedy?
Old 08-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #2250
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I tend to get a little bugged when people's lives are at stake, including yours and the guy on the sportbike you raced; I'll try and take human life a little less seriously in the future.
Careful you don't fall off that high horse

But for real, everyone assesses risk differently and as long as they aren't endangering anyone else without their consent is it really your business if they choose to endanger their own life?

Quote:
Soo.. on public highways, everyone ELSE should trust your judgement as to whether or not you're endangering us? I think that it's not up to you to decide when and where street racing is safe enough. That's what I think.
That's a reasonable enough question, and honestly a reasonable enough position. No, I don't think everyone else should trust my judgement. Which is why I said I wouldn't race someone if there were any other cars around. If you want to argue that I'm still subjecting "other people" to my judgement about safety when there are no other people around to endanger, then we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

Quote:
From those statements, I got the idea that you thought..
1. It is thinkable that folks would post about street racing, and that it's perfecty acceptable thing to do, especially since you did it and are defending your post of it.
Since others in this thread have posted about it, yes I think its reasonable to assume posting about street racing is a normal thing to do in this thread about getting challenged to street races. To be clear, I'm not defending the act of street racing or saying street racing is an "acceptable" thing to do. I'm saying I think it's acceptable to post about street racing in this thread.

Quote:
2. You think that "STREET RACING KILLS INNOCENT PEOPLE" is just a "spiel," indicating that you think it's a totally overblown, unnecessary cautionary tale for people who aren't as skilled/careful/aware as you are. News flash.. that's what EVERYONE thinks until they die or they kill someone.
I guess I see how you can get that impression if you want to read it that way, but that's not exactly what I meant. I meant that espousing the dangers of street racing to me is 1. unnecessary and 2. missing the point of the whole discussion. Its unnecessary because I am already aware of how dangerous it is, to the participants and to anyone who happens to be around. I don't need to be lectured about how dangerous it is. I am aware of that and am not arguing otherwise. Its missing the point because, like I said, I was never arguing about street racing itself. I was arguing about whether or not it was appropriate to post about street racing in a thread specifically about sharing stories about getting challenged to street races.

Quote:
3. Responding to your post and calling attention to the dangers of street racing makes one a goody-goody two shoes. Therefore, it is way more hip and cool to street race than to caution against it.
I'm doing my best to have a conversation. Can you take a step back, look at what you wrote, and see why people are attempting to help you avoid tragedy?
The goody-goody two shoes comment was more about the attitude and ridiculous reverence for the "no talking about street racing" rule than it was about street racing itself. But, it still applies to the lecturing. Look, you're not a goody-goody two shoes for calling attention to the dangers of street racing. That, in and of itself, is a totally reasonable thing to do. You're a goody-goody two shoes for trying to lecture me about this after seeing what I wrote to everyone else previously. You're a goody-goody two shoes for your pretentious, holier-than-thou attitude. You're a goody-goody two shoes for thinking "goody-goody two shoes" is a serious insult. If you think that I used "goody-goody two shoes" or "white knight" as a real, serious, malicious insult intended to hurt feelings and took actual offense to that, I think you might need to develop a little bit thicker skin dude. Its a silly name intended to highlight the absurdity of the backlash I received. Again: calm down, deputy.

(Disclaimer, since you seem to need it: "deputy" is another silly insult meant to highlight the absurdity of your comment, not a real insult)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #2251
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 5,762 Times in 3,132 Posts
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Millennial confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (08-28-2018), Ultramaroon (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #2252
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Millennial confirmed.
Ouch, right in the credibility... whatever will I do now?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #2253
MuseChaser
Wheeeeee Tired!

Well, we'd all like you to live a long, happy, productive, kind life without hurting anybody. What you actually do is, obviously, entirely up to you. Evidently, the anwer to my last question to you, " Can you take a step back, look at what you wrote, and see why people are attempting to help you avoid tragedy?," is a resounding "no." I tried. God Bless you, and I wish you the best.
Attached Images

Tristor (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #2254
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
Evidently, the anwer to my last question to you, " Can you take a step back, look at what you wrote, and see why people are attempting to help you avoid tragedy?," is a resounding "no."
Look man, I've responded calmly and coherently to everything you've written. If you don't want to show me the same courtesy and actually read and understand what I wrote and reply to its content, that's on you, not me.

Quote:
I tried.
Honestly? No, you didn't. If you were actually trying, you'd respond point by point to what I said and we could have a real discussion.

Quote:
God Bless you, and I wish you the best.