follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do cops in California still hassle drivers of exhaust?

I haven't had had one in so long, but now that will change. I remember the last time I had an exhaust on a car, I was spending money at least once a year to have it removed, and then put back on.

Has anything changed?

Last edited by Liquidsnake; 05-23-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Liquidsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Scratch705

Drives: Nissan Sentra
probably depends on where you are and how loud the exhaust is.

in my personal experience, the walnut/diamond bar area sheriffs ignored my exhaust on my nissan sentra. even though it was illegal in terms of it was a straight race pipe setup. dc 4-2-1 header to greddy sp2, no cats. can easily smell my car but never got pulled over, even when they pulled up behind me or next to me at a light.
Scratch705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
DieDriving
I aint no snitch

Drives: 330i, C300, "00 lude, "94 Accord
Nope, nothing changes, some cops are still acting like a bunch of d-bags....I pretty much take it off and on annually and 8 months ago got pulled over again but this time the fool tagged me for tinted windows too.....he stated is it illegal to have ANY tinted front windows, I get that but common, no tint windows in SoCal weather?
DieDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Liquidsnake

I wonder if its worth it then to go through the hassle. I'm not a kid anymore, I don't have the energy to go through all that sh*it again. Oh and sorry about the title, I meant over not of.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
fastdrivingjr

Drives: Ducati 749 / Ktm Smc lc4 supermoto
i used to live in Palmdale California
Problems with cops
1. during highschool and one day when i was riding to class on my ninja 250r(smallest sport bike youll see one the road) with a slip on / not full system exhaust only,,, I got pulled over for it being to loud in my school parking lot(made me look like a bad ass haha) no ticket
2. One day i was riding to the movies.. Got pulled over because it sounded like i was going fast but he couldnt tell.. no ticket
3. One day i was riding to LA on the high way on a windy day.. got pulled over because the cop said i look like i was swerving.. asked if i was drunk.. no ticket..
4. at night cop pulled me over for a tinted windscreen on my bike.. (..... nothing to say..) no ticket..
And it goes on but as long as your not hammering it you should be fine..
My friend had a 240 with a pipe and when we went out to party he never got attention from cops..

MY point.. ugh heh id still get a pipe but dont hammer it to hard.. it gives them a reason..

and let me add.. THE POLICE OFFICERS ALL TOLD ME ANY MODIFICATIONS TO A VEHICLE IS ILLEGAL IN California
But they dont pay for our bills so Screw that
fastdrivingjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Liquidsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdrivingjr View Post
i used to live in Palmdale California
Problems with cops
1. during highschool and one day when i was riding to class on my ninja 250r(smallest sport bike youll see one the road) with a slip on / not full system exhaust only,,, I got pulled over for it being to loud in my school parking lot(made me look like a bad ass haha) no ticket
2. One day i was riding to the movies.. Got pulled over because it sounded like i was going fast but he couldnt tell.. no ticket
3. One day i was riding to LA on the high way on a windy day.. got pulled over because the cop said i look like i was swerving.. asked if i was drunk.. no ticket..
4. at night cop pulled me over for a tinted windscreen on my bike.. (..... nothing to say..) no ticket..
And it goes on but as long as your not hammering it you should be fine..
My friend had a 240 with a pipe and when we went out to party he never got attention from cops..

MY point.. ugh heh id still get a pipe but dont hammer it to hard.. it gives them a reason..

and let me add.. THE POLICE OFFICERS ALL TOLD ME ANY MODIFICATIONS TO A VEHICLE IS ILLEGAL IN California
But they dont pay for our bills so Screw that

This state that I have lived in all my life is so ass backwards at times. I haven't had a front plate in 20 years. I get a ticket, I go to the Sheriffs office, I pay ten bucks, he looks out the window, then writes it off. I then pull out of the parking lot, and before I get down the street I take it off again. So stupid.

Over and over and over again. I will never put a front plate on unless it becomes a $300 fine.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post

I haven't had had one in so long, but now that will change. I remember the last time I had an exhaust on a car, I was spending money at least once a year to have it removed, and then put back on.

Has anything changed?
Run a cat (to avoid the sooty buildup, bad smell, and popping) and don't put on any stickers (my cop buddy tells me that many police are trained that street racers put stickers on their cars, so that's what they look for, haha) and you should be fine.

I had a full exhaust on my Eclipse for years and all my dad's trucks have had exhausts and we've never been hassled once.

***A lot of it has to do with the way you drive and look too (sideways baseball cap or a popped shirt collar = cop pulls you over, lol)
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
This state that I have lived in all my life is so ass backwards at times. I haven't had a front plate in 20 years. I get a ticket, I go to the Sheriffs office, I pay ten bucks, he looks out the window, then writes it off. I then pull out of the parking lot, and before I get down the street I take it off again. So stupid.

Over and over and over again. I will never put a front plate on unless it becomes a $300 fine.
Cant you place it on the dash?
Old 05-24-2012, 02:21 AM   #9
Scratch705

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE View Post
Cant you place it on the dash?
no.... in CA it has to be mounted to front bumper. can't be inside cabin.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
no.... in CA it has to be mounted to front bumper. can't be inside cabin.
zip-ties! lol
Old 05-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
Scratch705

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE View Post
zip-ties! lol
you can do that, i've seen people do it, and cops don't seem to care how it is mounted as long as it is up front and visible on the bumper.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
Prava
Insegrevious Member

Drives: Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I'd love to not have a front license plate, but I'm gonna because my buddy got two tickets for not having one. One of the tickets he wasn't even driving! We were at the beach and it was parked (legally) and a cop was just checking out all of the cars giving them tickets for not having a front plate. Talk about try-hard cop. I will run a front license plate. I have the Grimmspeed one being shipped now. As far as exhaust, just put a cat on it like Lonewolf said. Less attention means less hassle and less tickets ---> lower insurance rates. Best to just mod it clean, maybe a little dirty , and have it look good driving instead of on the side of the road in front of red and blue lights.

"Character is who you are when nobody is looking."
Club4AG | Micro Image | Solar Shade | FRS86

Prava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
JACK 8URT0N
Black Blood of the Earth

Drives: The Porkchop Express
Garage
In CA, I have been cited for speeding in my R, S4 and my Fit. All have loud exhausts which they didn't hassle me for. The R didn't even have a cat. I think it just comes down to the cop who pulls you over, and how cool they are.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
BRZtoni
Turbo E85

Drives: 13 wrb brz
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I live in socal, don't drive like a **** and youll be fine.