follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #29
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbydesign View Post
We ship the correct silicone with the kit.

Are you suggesting we cant properly size a $6 piece of silicone, which could be easily sourced from numerous places....including Ebay or siliconeintakes.com?

Come on now
I don't know who made the mistake but the couplers in the box were wrong. The first time I happened to have a correct coupler on the shelf so that went on the car. Second time I checked the coupler right as I opened the box, noticed it was wrong and ordered the correct piece. I think I even used silicone intakes. Third time I just ordered a correct one off the bat when the customer booked the job since I felt it was a safe guess that the kit would include the wrong part again.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #30
spdbydesign

Drives: 2010 Nissan GTR
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk1 View Post
I don't know who made the mistake but the couplers in the box were wrong. The first time I happened to have a correct coupler on the shelf so that went on the car. Second time I checked the coupler right as I opened the box, noticed it was wrong and ordered the correct piece. I think I even used silicone intakes. Third time I just ordered a correct one off the bat when the customer booked the job since I felt it was a safe guess that the kit would include the wrong part again.
Not going to call you a liar, as I take you at your word, but this is the first time this has been voiced.

And we've sold probably 40 kits since then, with not one single mention of this that I can find in our thread/reviews/Facebook group, etc.

I'll grab my caliper in the morning and snap a picture of the throttle body and the silicone hose ID.

I'd say 1 piece of wrong silicone getting mixed in is 100% possible, but 3 kits in a row shipped weeks/months apart....highly unlikely.

I will follow-up on this in the morning.

Chris
spdbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #31
spdbydesign

PM me with your Paypal email Mark and I'll refund you for the 3 pieces of silicone, including any shipping costs incurred..

While I have serious doubts about 3 kits having the wrong piece of exact same hose inserted, I don't want you to incur any out of pocket costs.....and definitely don't want a $6 piece of silicone to cause hurt feelings.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:13 PM   #32
mrk1

I never voiced a concern because none of the customers cared about the $6, $12 with shipping. Each time I told them you are good about answering concerns and they could take it up with you if they wanted.

Customers paid for the coupler not me.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #33
spdbydesign

PM with their names, I'll look up their original orders and send them $12/each via Paypal gift.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #34
mrk1

sent

Old 02-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #35
spdbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk1 View Post
sent
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 PM   #36
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Mark, in the early days of the kit, we were still adding parts to the kit, to make the install easier than another companies similar offering. (We were also working through a bug I found in the design that caused the turbocharger to boost spike, which we have now remedied.)

We also include a BOV standard, and found some cars like different spring pressures than others. (Depending on where vacuum source is taken.) So now we include both spring pressures standard, from which to test and pick.

The kit has continued to evolve, though the current configuration is comprehensive of everything you need. (Including even parts we have simply been told would be beneficial from a dealers and customers, which most may not even use.)

So, consider taking another look before you pass off the kit.

There's a reason this kit is selling in huge numbers, and it's not strictly the price.

I don't think you'll find a single other person saying the kit was missing ANYTHING in the reviews over the past 6 months.

We listen to the public feedback, so if there's an issue, post it up and make everyone aware.

We have nothing to hide here, but genuinely want to produce the easiest kit to install on the market.

My Best,

Chris Riggs
The fact that you debuted the kit with its blatant inadequacies is irresponsible. The fact you are admitting to this is even worse - but thanks for being honest...

Also, what about all those pictures with the "GReddy" emblem/engraving scratched/grinded off on what was "claimed" as a SBD kit? Perhaps I have been mislead in reading some of the negative comments, if that is the case I apologize for what I wrote above.

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #37
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
I remember reading in an older thread that used this same image/pic by the greddy kit because the were spinning the turbo out of its efficiency range. No expert here just trying to remember and regurgitate the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveIsBored View Post
I thought the kit was simple and painless to install, but there were a few tight spots. I dd my car and have no issues what so ever and no regrets in purchasing the sbd kit. I also remember reading the melting fans at the track posts as it was discussed in the sbd owners thread and I believe it said the owner with the melted fans was running the turbo out of its efficiency range on an e85 tune but I could be wrong. I also believe that no n/a car turned fi would survive on a track without thousands in supporting mods.
Just for the record...

- I was the one that originally posted that picture
- The car is tuned for 7 psi. No more, no less.
- The car only runs 91 and 100 octane.
- The fans melted after 3 back to back lap record attempts.
-- This means that the car was driven for 3 laps at qualifying pace
-- The first two laps were both aborted mid-lap, due to traffic. I still hit traffic on the third lap, but kept going anyways, and I would not have an opportunity for a 4th lap due to rising temperatures.
- The car is tuned by Evasive Motorsports
- The car runs a Greddy turbo kit
- All piping on the car is both ceramic coated AND wrapped. The turbo is heat shielded
- A Robispec Radiator and oil cooler were in place at the time (inadequate cooling)
- A full lap (~3 minute) cooldown was performed, at freeway cruising speeds, to allow the whole car to cool, and keep air flowing through the engine bay.
- A further 5 minutes were spent in the pits doing "laps" to cool the car further.
- This is not the first time I've seen melted fans. The fans melted as a result of *radiant* heat from a front mount turbo kit. What happens when you put your hand near something hot? You feel the heat.

Here's the lap.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4eS67W-crA[/ame]
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
flippy (02-05-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #38
spdbydesign

The kit had been on the market for some time, before we ever offered to distribute it for Zage in North America.

We made a fitting change to better control boost, versus the fitting design that was/is currently being sold at the time.

We tested various turbo chargers before selecting the 20G/18G hybrid, which we found offered the best spool to HP at its price point. This turbocharger launched on the USA version of the kit Day #1.

We included a BOV, which was not standard with the kit at $0 upcharge in price for the USA market.

I wouldn't use the world inadequacies. We simply looked to improve the existing kit, which is what we did and made it even better for our USA customers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spdbydesign For This Useful Post:
sroby (10-15-2020), themajesticone (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 PM   #39
spdbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Just for the record...

- The car runs a Greddy turbo kit
I know you've mentioned it before, but thanks for clarifying.

We still get inquiries who are under the impression this was the SBD kit, with our 20G/18G hybrid turbocharger....
Old 02-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #40
SteveIsBored

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
its too bad front mount turbos aren't holding up on the track. Hopefully there will be solutions to this in the future
SteveIsBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #41
spdbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by themajesticone View Post
Also, what about all those pictures with the "GReddy" emblem/engraving scratched/grinded off on what was "claimed" as a SBD kit? Perhaps I have been mislead in reading some of the negative comments, if that is the case I apologize for what I wrote above.
I have no comment on Zage/Greddy and their dealings...or lack of dealings...

Personally, I didn't care day #1 and I still don't care.

All I care about is SBD and it's customers.

How we interact with Zage is between Zage and SBD.

What Zage does, doesn't do.....is between Zage and that other company.

If Greddy has an issue, it's best they take it up directly with Zage.

I'm not getting in the middle of it, as it's not my place.

If you want to buy a Zage turbo kit, we're the USA distributor and I'll be happy to accommodate that purchase.

I don't have time to deal in drama and hear-say. I'd rather just stick with the facts of what I know, which is Zage has been phenomenal to work with and produces a high quality kit at an incredible value.

The independent owner reviews back this claim, with over 1200 posts in the official turbo kit thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to spdbydesign For This Useful Post:
flippy (02-05-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 11:00 PM   #42
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I know you've mentioned it before, but thanks for clarifying.

We still get inquiries who are under the impression this was the SBD kit, with our 20G/18G hybrid turbocharger....
Well, Greddy did discontinue their kit, and currently, street prices on the Greddy kit are awfully close to the SBD kit.

Quote:
our use of a larger, more efficient turbo.
More power, more heat, more cooling problems when driven hard.

The inefficiencies of the smaller Greddy turbo reduces power output relative to a 18G/20G, but that also reduces heat output.

Of course, if you detune the SBD kit to provide Greddy level output, then you'd get marginally less oil heat, but the exhaust piping temperature wouldn't change much. And, you would get a later spool...

More power, more heat.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote