follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #29
Krawl

Drives: Looking...
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
I'd personally avoid anything salvaged. Just asking for massive scope creep and gremlins that are going to risk a reliable track car otherwise.
Kinda what I was thinking but I am seeing a roughly 5:1 on the salvaged to non. Not sure why with these cars. It is crazy. I have access to CarFax so I am trying to pick and choose without spending a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Let me ask you: Are you new to tracking? That'll change my opinion on what path you should take. Answers in red.
Yes and no. I have not tracked a car yet and never done AutoX. I have done track days on 2 wheels but I assume it is nothing like 4. Just getting older and have a family now... so trying to be safer!

-Krawl
Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #30
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If W2W racing - I'd have no problem with salvage title cars with the exception of frame damage and water damage. The discount can be significant and the damage may be irrelevant to how it will get used going forward.

As long a the frame is straight (straight car) and the electronics are all corroded (flood damage) then salvage title discounts are a great way to start a racecar build or dedicated track car build.
CSG Mike (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #31
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawl View Post
Kinda what I was thinking but I am seeing a roughly 5:1 on the salvaged to non. Not sure why with these cars. It is crazy. I have access to CarFax so I am trying to pick and choose without spending a ton.

Yes and no. I have not tracked a car yet and never done AutoX. I have done track days on 2 wheels but I assume it is nothing like 4. Just getting older and have a family now... so trying to be safer!

-Krawl
Be careful it's addicting and an expensive hobby

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #32
Krawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Be careful it's addicting and an expensive hobby

Lol all my hobbies tend to end up like that!

Have another question before I jump in feet first. Most of you have been around this platform and have used it like we plan on... would you do it again or chose a different car? If so, what car?

Was talking to a buddy and he is saying we should also look at the Genesis 2.0T, C5, WRX, and 2011-2014 5.0 Mustang's.

What is your thoughts? Would you do the FRS/BRZ again?

-Krawl
Old 09-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #33
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:

Have another question before I jump in feet first. Most of you have been around this platform and have used it like we plan on... would you do it again or chose a different car? If so, what car?

Was talking to a buddy and he is saying we should also look at the Genesis 2.0T, C5, WRX, and 2011-2014 5.0 Mustang's.

-Krawl
This is a fantastic platform to learn how to drive. With a few mods it's pretty reliable on the track in NA form. It has cheap consumables. Light weight, RWD dedicated sport car platform with huge aftermarket. As long your not hung up on the lowish power, you will be Golden.

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Old 09-22-2020, 11:07 PM   #34
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

-Krawl
if you're most concerned about being competitive in racing, consider looking at the final year results in the championship class you're considering running in. in terms of the vehicles under $60k, nothing has changed significantly in the last few years, so you have a good sample of data to look over for confirm/deny any vehicle choice.

https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-archives
Old 09-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #35
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

-Krawl
All of those are >300 lbs heavier then the 86. More money on tires, more money on brakes and pass on dealing with the Mustangs live axle or the Genesis chassis or maintaining a 20 year old Chevy with mini van interior. WRX might make sense for an all out no holds barred time attack build if you want to spend tens of thousands of dollars, and there's no replacement for displacement but I like turning more then going in a straight line.

Might as well throw E36/E46 M3 into the above list as well.

Keeping the initial purchase price <$15k the chassis I'd consider instead are MR2's, Boxsters, Miatas, RX8. All of those are harder to add power then the 86 and are older and less practical with the exception of the RX8 which I would probably want to engine swap if I was dedicated to the chassis enough which bleh not worth the effort. I've only got one vehicle, it's my DD, FRS is good compromise no ragerts. 8th gen Civic Si or an Acura (double wishbone ftw) might make sense though, easy to turbo the K motor add an LSD aero suspension and go party.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #36
Krawl

Well, looking at one tomorrow. 2013 Manual BRZ. Salvage title but the guy has had it 3 years. Bought it from the person that had the accident and says it has zero issues. Good price as well at well under 10k. It has 86k on the odometer.

So, if this goes through, I will have roughly 7k to play with. I need to do the coil pack and harness along with a oil cooler. I want to swap the sets and add a cage and harness. Any recommendations on a cage?

What should I focus on next? I will do some cosmetic stuff off the bat but what about brakes? Or is there something else in the engine I need to address?

-Krawl
Old 10-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #37
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:
Well, looking at one tomorrow. 2013 Manual BRZ. Salvage title but the guy has had it 3 years. Bought it from the person that had the accident and says it has zero issues. Good price as well at well under 10k. It has 86k on the odometer.

So, if this goes through, I will have roughly 7k to play with. I need to do the coil pack and harness along with a oil cooler. I want to swap the sets and add a cage and harness. Any recommendations on a cage?

What should I focus on next? I will do some cosmetic stuff off the bat but what about brakes? Or is there something else in the engine I need to address?

-Krawl
Leave it as is. If your going straight to the track

Here is the mods I would do

Oil cooler
New fluids all around including did and trans
New brake pads and rotors(centric blanks)

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #38
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Proper brake pads, fluids, rotors if needed, tires if needed, durability mods (coil packs + oil cooler), and a VERY thorough inspection to check bushings and ball joints etc. is where to start. That should take up most of your time and money right now.

See if you can find a reputable local builder for a cage + seats, but the priority is getting the car in good shape.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-05-2020), Krawl (10-05-2020), treedodger (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #39
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
hey, sorry for the late reply, i'm not too much on the forums anymore.

to answer your question about tracking the car and general questions... 400whp is basically, imo, the upper most limit i would do. be prepared for blowing your motor. adding boost to these things seem to be a hit or miss.
1. get yourself a great tuner.
2. get yourself great cooling solution (oil cooler, possibly upgraded radiator, but not 100% necessary).
3. look for 2015+ seems like the pre 2015 coilpacks are shitty and tend to go out (i've had this issue).

My car is a 2014. i had it kraftwerks supercharged and it was the biggest piece of shit I've ever had in my life. Sorry that i'm being blunt but it's true. If i had to supercharge my car, I would go with jackson racing. not trying to throw shade, but I tracked it with that supercharger and their kit is just straight garbage and customer service is not any better. Save yourself the hassle and avoid that kit. if I could do it all over again, I would have went straight for turbo. better in every single possible way. easier to change boost level. don't have to worry about extra belts. better overall compressor efficiency. I have a jdl turbo kit running a GTX2860r with flex fuel. I'm at about 337whp and 260wtq on dyno tuned by HRI tuning. the only other thing that I could recommend is that SMOOTH INPUTS as a driver this will greatly reduce the drivetrain shock/stress that you put on the car. I was a noob driver back then (obviously will always still be learning to be a better driver) when I was supercharged and drove the car like shit. happy to chat over IG if you are interested in more info and that goes for anybody. feel free to follow me @Pete.lete and DM me.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
Krawl (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #40
Krawl

So... we bought it. He came down further on the price. Now we have a starting point! Cosmetically, needs some work but that is okay. Mechanical, it seems in good shape to stat with.

It will need front and rear bumpers. I dont want to go wide body or anything. I assume the rear just needs to go back stock but what about the front? Is the OE the lightest option? I am not seeing to many non-wide body bumpers. Am I just missing something?

Oil cooler seems to be at the top of the list. What is the recommended one? I am good friends with Griffin Radiator. I need to text them and see if they have a radiator for the BRZ or if they want to custom build one. Guessing cooling is a big issue on these? What about a carbon fiber hood with vents? It could use a new hood to... and trunk... and maybe fenders. Lol. Thinking carbon there?
@Racecomp Engineering... you guys seem like the go to on suspension questions. I am about to pull the trigger on a set of front and rear while line poly bushings. What is a good set of track/street-ish adjustable coilovers?

As for the cage, thinking of building one or maybe doing the Cusco or Autopower route. Any opinions on the two?

Last... brakes. Is a BBK needed or is just upgrading to a good pad and a nice rotor (suggestions?) the way to go?

And yes, planning on swapping over all the fluids. More than likely AMSOIL.

-Krawl
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krawl For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-07-2020), strat61caster (10-05-2020), treedodger (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #41
treedodger

Drives: 2022 GR86 (was 2013 BRZ)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Congrats! These cars are addicting.

Oil Cooler: Jackson Racing or Greddy
OEM radiator is plenty for NA. Hood vents help keep things cool. OEM hood is super light aluminum already.

OEM bumpers are the lightest.

Stock suspension setup is a ton of fun, but you'll want camber bolts in the front to max out camber.

I run 0 toe front and back. If you want more stability, add a tad for rear toe in. If you want faster turn in, ad a tad of front toe out. Try out the stock suspension before you upgrade. It's likely you'll need a couple dozen trackdays before you'll get close to the limits with stock suspension.

If you go for aftermarket suspension, you'll likely want adjustable rear lower control arms, and front camber plates. A common starting point is -3.5F/-2.5R camber and 0 toe, and don't go too low.

Good pads and cheap plain centric rotors are sufficient for NA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
My comments are mostly focused on keeping you on track aka reliability.
Quote:
So... we bought it. He came down further on the price. Now we have a starting point! Cosmetically, needs some work but that is okay. Mechanical, it seems in good shape to stat with.

It will need front and rear bumpers. I dont want to go wide body or anything. I assume the rear just needs to go back stock but what about the front? Is the OE the lightest option? I am not seeing to many non-wide body bumpers. Am I just missing something?

Oil cooler seems to be at the top of the list. What is the recommended one? I am good friends with Griffin Radiator. I need to text them and see if they have a radiator for the BRZ or if they want to custom build one. Guessing cooling is a big issue on these? What about a carbon fiber hood with vents? It could use a new hood to... and trunk... and maybe fenders. Lol. Thinking carbon there?
@Racecomp Engineering... you guys seem like the go to on suspension questions. I am about to pull the trigger on a set of front and rear while line poly bushings. What is a good set of track/street-ish adjustable coilovers?

As for the cage, thinking of building one or maybe doing the Cusco or Autopower route. Any opinions on the two?

Last... brakes. Is a BBK needed or is just upgrading to a good pad and a nice rotor (suggestions?) the way to go?

And yes, planning on swapping over all the fluids. More than likely AMSOIL.

-Krawl
treedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:46 PM   #42
Krawl

Looked at the Greddy cooler. I like it. Also looked at the APR brake cooling system. Like that idea as well.

I need to check the calipers to see what kind of shape they are in as well as the rotors. I guess at some point I need to do a build thread as well!

-Krawl