follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #1
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engine Oil Overfilled Causing Leak?

Hello,

Recently started smelling some dry burning smell that lasts for about 10 seconds after 10-15 mins of driving or when the car warms up. Also, some small puddles of something on the driveway coming from the engine bay.

Checked for leaks around timing chain cover and there was nothing but there seemed to be a leak around the oil filter part. I checked my dip stick after letting the car sit for about 10-15 mins, wiped the end and dipped it back in and this is what it read.

Does overfilling the engine oil cause a oil filter leak? What would you guys recommend my next steps are? Dealership that did the change is booked up due to covid. Should I just loosen the oil drain plug and drain some oil or should I just do a full oil change and get a new filter too?
Old 07-22-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Yeah overfill can cause the engine to force oil out of various places, including the oil dipstick tube. If you take a close look in the engine bay and under the vehicle after letting the car idle for a couple minutes, you may be able to see exactly where if that’s the case.

If it were me, I’d just drain the appropriate amount out. Then drive and monitor to check for any status change.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
congee (07-23-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:27 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What is the oil level as you are seeing on the dipstick?

What are the puddles of something on your driveway?
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
congee (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I constantly have problems with shops putting in 6 quarts when they change my oil because I bring 6 quarts. Last time I only brought 5 and the guy gave me a hard time because it was slightly under, when I explained why he admitted that he would have just put in whatever was there so it was good that I didn't give him all 6. The dealer does it every time and insists it's fine to overfill especially considering that so many of these engines burn a bit of oil, mine doesn't burn any though and they don't seem to understand how that's possible.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Yeah that seems real high if the oil is all the way up the dip stick. Did you check the other side? The lower side is the correct one to read
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
congee (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@congee did you read both sides of the dipstick? One side always reads high. Flip it over, the other side will read much lower. How I know this? Well I pulled my dipstick after an oil change and it read high just like that, drove to mechanic on the corner and he laughed and told me to flip the dipstick over, it read perfectly between the lines, at the full mark. I think he's dealt with enough Subaru's to know this.

I've had leaks from the oil filter before. Somehow wasn't tightened down right one time. Sprayed my whole engine bay with oil and left drops all over the driveway.

Last edited by radroach; 07-24-2020 at 02:40 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
airrick (07-26-2020), congee (07-24-2020), YamahaR86 (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@congee did you read both sides of the dipstick? One side always reads high. Flip it over, the other side will read much lower. How I know this? Well I pulled my dipstick after an oil change and it read high just like that, drove to mechanic on the corner and he laughed and told me to flip the dipstick over, it read perfectly between the lines, at the full mark. I think he's dealt with enough Subaru's to know this.

I've had leaks from the oil filter before. Somehow wasn't tightened down right one time. Sprayed my whole engine bay with oil and left nice little drops all over the driveway.
Thank you, didnt know this either haha

So I checked in the morning when it was cold, and again after it was warmed up(waited 5 mins after turning the car off). checked the lowered side and it still read about an inch over the full mark.

Oddly enough, the burning smell was gone after I tightened the oil filter a bit and wiped away some oil coming out of the dipstick tube.

Should I try to siphon some of the oil out or would it be safe to drive for another week when I can go back to my dealer
Old 07-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by congee View Post

So I checked in the morning when it was cold, and again after it was warmed up(waited 5 mins after turning the car off). checked the lowered side and it still read about an inch over the full mark.

Oddly enough, the burning smell was gone after I tightened the oil filter a bit and wiped away some oil coming out of the dipstick tube.

Should I try to siphon some of the oil out or would it be safe to drive for another week when I can go back to my dealer

Install a Fumoto oil drain valve in place of the oil drain bolt. Perfect for situations like this and easy to do oil changes.
congee (07-24-2020), soundman98 (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by congee View Post

Bubba suggests you place a whole bunch of paper towels underneath the oil filter, then loosen up the oil filter till it quits burbling, then tighten it up, remove the saturated paper towels and wipe around the bottom of the oil filter. Then check the oil level - it should be slightly above the top hole in the dipstick, which will be OK.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
congee (07-25-2020), soundman98 (07-24-2020)