follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Moe

Drives: Lexus IS250, Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some questions on my new car

Got some questions on my new car for those that can assist please:

1) DRL. Noticed that mine does not come on. Is this a dealer setting? When I put the park lights on, it does light up dimly. However, when the lights are off, they are also off.

2) GT86 badge. Looks like I don't have one on the back of my car. Not the end of the world on this one - can live without it. Should I ask the dealer for it though? Maybe it was a 2014 spec change???

3) Pop rivets/plastic screws in the rear wheel arch. There seems to be 2 spots with these missing on either side. Not sure if they should be there or not. I tugged gently at the bumper and it does seem loose near those ends, but it could be normal. Can someone please verify on their cars whether it should be there. Here is a pic of the holes - notice the bottom 2, if you can:

Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moe For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (01-23-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
1) SA ones are like that unfortunately. LED's are park lights and not DRL. I'm not sure about the new spec but mine's only got 7 wires on the 8 pin harness, headlight side. 8th is supposed to be the one that activates bright mode when you start the car and the headlights are switched off.
2) SA cars don't come with GT86 badge and you can't buy it from the dealer since they're not called "GT86" in SA, only "Toyota 86".
3)Those holes are for mud flaps.
The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:
Moe (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Moe

Thanks for the info SAV

Spent the last hour scouting around on the DRL issue, as I was disappointed that the SA spec cars don't have them. Saw some of your threads too. Also saw the info about the Philippines cars which were pre-wired and just missing the relay. SO, long story short, I swapped out the horn relay into the DRL relay slot on my car and the DRL works. It's full brightness when the lights are off and turns dim when the lights are on. BTW, from the details on your DRL thread, I can only guess that my lights are wired differently for this to work with just the relay added.

Will just do a bit more research this week on the relays to confirm before going to purchase a "horn" relay from Toyota (or perhaps Subaru...)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Shadeslayer
Shur'tugal

Drives: Toyota 86 Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Moe, congratulations with your new 86. Be careful with driving addiction though. Please keep us updated with your DLR venture. I really want to get mine working too.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #5
Vic_RSA
The voice of reason...

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 6MT Standard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I got the mudflaps - and very glad I did - completes the look if you have no plans for body kit.

Sav doesn't like the mudflaps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Got some questions on my new car for those that can assist please:

1) DRL. Noticed that mine does not come on. Is this a dealer setting? When I put the park lights on, it does light up dimly. However, when the lights are off, they are also off.

2) GT86 badge. Looks like I don't have one on the back of my car. Not the end of the world on this one - can live without it. Should I ask the dealer for it though? Maybe it was a 2014 spec change???

3) Pop rivets/plastic screws in the rear wheel arch. There seems to be 2 spots with these missing on either side. Not sure if they should be there or not. I tugged gently at the bumper and it does seem loose near those ends, but it could be normal. Can someone please verify on their cars whether it should be there. Here is a pic of the holes - notice the bottom 2, if you can:

Vic_RSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 AM   #6
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
if you really want to get rid of the holes, go to Midas and get the plastic press clips that fill the holes. you could even plastidip them the color of your car if you dont like black.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #7
Vladror

Drives: Toyota 86 M High - Dark Grey
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
@Shadeslayer
are you part of the CPT whatsapp group? we could use some more blue ones on our next run ...
Vladror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #8
Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
if you really want to get rid of the holes, go to Midas and get the plastic press clips that fill the holes. you could even plastidip them the color of your car if you dont like black.
Yep - will probably buy some plastic press clips to cover them to prevent any muck/dirt from collecting in the bumper as you drive.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 AM   #9
Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeslayer View Post
Please keep us updated with your DLR venture. I really want to get mine working too.
Will do. Plan on buying it this week if I get a chance.

BTW, called Subaru and they wanted a VIN number before looking for the relay. I went through the detailed wiring diagram (PDF on this site) and it appears that the relay for DRL is just a standard "normally open" relay. Also pulled the specs on the OEM one to confirm based on the part number.

Once I have it installed will just need to test properly (i.e. brights, etc still work) and report back
Old 01-14-2014, 02:30 AM   #10
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the info SAV

Spent the last hour scouting around on the DRL issue, as I was disappointed that the SA spec cars don't have them. Saw some of your threads too. Also saw the info about the Philippines cars which were pre-wired and just missing the relay. SO, long story short, I swapped out the horn relay into the DRL relay slot on my car and the DRL works. It's full brightness when the lights are off and turns dim when the lights are on. BTW, from the details on your DRL thread, I can only guess that my lights are wired differently for this to work with just the relay added.

Will just do a bit more research this week on the relays to confirm before going to purchase a "horn" relay from Toyota (or perhaps Subaru...)
That is awesome news!!! This means you've got all 8 wires.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:46 AM   #11
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Will do. Plan on buying it this week if I get a chance.

BTW, called Subaru and they wanted a VIN number before looking for the relay. I went through the detailed wiring diagram (PDF on this site) and it appears that the relay for DRL is just a standard "normally open" relay. Also pulled the specs on the OEM one to confirm based on the part number.

Once I have it installed will just need to test properly (i.e. brights, etc still work) and report back
We have 2 guys in our group who work at TSAM, they tried everything and could not get the lights to work in DRL bright mode.
Hope you get it right, many are counting on you...
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:08 AM   #12
Moe

Quote:
We have 2 guys in our group who work at TSAM, they tried everything and could not get the lights to work in DRL bright mode.
The wiring might have changed in the newer models

Anyway, went to Toyota earlier this morning and tried to find the relay. Gave the guy in parts my VIN and they could not find the car listed. Showed him the part and he told me it was not a common relay and they would need to order it from the factory. So, he tried to look for it on the parts diagram, but after about 5 mins of searching I told him not to stress - I'll go to Subaru as they should have it.

Went to Subaru in Bryanston and asked them. They said it is a special order item from the factory - might be quicker if I ask Toyota to get it

Also popped into Midas and AutoZone to show them the relay - they don't stock them - agents only.

So it appears that I'm stuck trying to get it. Will go back to Toyota next week and order it if I can't find one over the counter.

BTW, the part is ACV31212 - fairly generic relay, if only I can find one in stock. Anyone know places in the Fourways/Bryanston area that stock relays? I have some time today to shop around, but from next week I'll be fairly busy and office bound...
Old 01-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #13
GeeTee86
86 Nut

Drives: 86 Satin 6MT High
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
I'm very annoyed that yours work just with relay
GeeTee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #14
Moe

Quote:
Can either of these guys get the relay? I'll be in Durbs on the weekend...