follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Would you buy a car from a dealer that stuck a dealer (ad) plaque or sticker on cars?
Yes, I'd buy it and leave it on; even if it is ugly. 2 2.41%
Yes, I'd buy it and try to take it off (risking paint damage). 32 38.55%
No, I'd refuse to buy it unless they didn't put one one. (wait for them get a new car) 32 38.55%
No, I would just walk off the lot and go shop elsewhere. 12 14.46%
Something else (specify in comments) 5 6.02%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
Jeff Lange

Drives: 1986 AE86 GT-S, 2011 Lexus IS250 6M
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My 2009 Corolla XRS had a sticker on it, I would have asked them not to put a sticker on, but it was already on there. I pulled it off when I got the car, it came off easily.

Lexus doesn't put stickers on, they use plate frames. When I showed up to get the car, they asked me if I wanted one. I said no, and my car arrived with no dealer markings.

To me, I would always ask that it never be put on in the first place, if it's already on there, it depends what kind of sticker it is, some are easy to get off, some aren't. Either way, it would be coming off. I'd either ask them to do it before I picked up the car, or get a car that didn't have one on it (perhaps order it).

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 6MT with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
GenkiElite

Drives: 91 Corolla (dd) S14 (daily drifter)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Also make sure they don't drill your front bumper for the license plate bracket. I personally dont want one and they put holes in that shit in the blink of an eye.
GenkiElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #17
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
My car has a sticker from the dealer, no big deal, but they already know I'm most likely trading my car back in for the BRZ. So it doesn't matter to me now, but I'll make sure they know what I want when the BRZ comes in so it better be meticulous and ready to go.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
PACMAN

Drives: 2003 Shitfire (Sunfire)
Here's an idea, why doesn't the dealer pay me for their 8-10 years of advertising?
Old 02-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #19
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You literally NEVER see this in California. If you see a car with it its a dead giveaway that the car came from out of state, even if it has ca plates. Every ca license plate car I've seen with these had an out of state dealer name. This practice is an abomination if you ask me. If I lived out of state I would ask the dealer to take it off but if I ever saw a ca dealer do it I would walk away. I can't understand why practically the entire rest of the country puts up with that crap. Do some people actually like it?
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
phattyduck

Drives: '03 WRX Wagon, '89 Camry Alltrac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
You literally NEVER see this in California. If you see a car with it its a dead giveaway that the car came from out of state, even if it has ca plates. Every ca license plate car I've seen with these had an out of state dealer name. This practice is an abomination if you ask me. If I lived out of state I would ask the dealer to take it off but if I ever saw a ca dealer do it I would walk away. I can't understand why practically the entire rest of the country puts up with that crap. Do some people actually like it?
I don't think anybody likes it. The only ones I have seen around my area (LA, Pasadena, etc.) is Carmax (sticker) and Lexus of Glendale (they put a chrome "of Glendale" right under the "Lexus" badge).

The California car culture has probably kept this from happening here. One of the few things about CA culture that is better than most of the rest of the country.

-Charlie
phattyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #21
Claff
Captain Slow

Drives: 1990 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to Claff
I've asked dealers to not put them on cars we've bought new, and all of them agreed. I don't know what I'd do if I went to a dealer (our local Honda/Chevy/Caddy dealer for example) that puts them on the trunk as soon as the car goes on its lot. I'll humor them and take a license plate frame knowing it won't last the week.
Claff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #22
HitTheGas

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
I don't think anybody likes it. The only ones I have seen around my area (LA, Pasadena, etc.) is Carmax (sticker) and Lexus of Glendale (they put a chrome "of Glendale" right under the "Lexus" badge).

The California car culture has probably kept this from happening here. One of the few things about CA culture that is better than most of the rest of the country.

-Charlie
putting it on a lexus? wow. they have balls.

i almost never see them on high end cars. especially not on Mercedes or BWM. I wonder if they have rules preventing the dealers from doing it.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #23
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I need to remind my dealer not to put on their stupid stickers or plate frames. And not to drill the front bumper for plates.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #24
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
are you sure it wasn't Lexus of Glendale (Arizona)?
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #25
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitTheGas View Post
putting it on a lexus? wow. they have balls.

i almost never see them on high end cars. especially not on Mercedes or BWM. I wonder if they have rules preventing the dealers from doing it.
My moms E550 has a Big ol' "Park Place" badge on it. It's disgusting and I might remove it soon. But shows you how even merc dealers do it.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #26
phattyduck

Drives: '03 WRX Wagon, '89 Camry Alltrac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
are you sure it wasn't Lexus of Glendale (Arizona)?
Unless a LOT of people from Glendale AZ just moved to the Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena area, yes. They are only on what looks like <5 year old cars from there. Its enough to make me avoid the place, that's for sure...

The Carmax thing I understand - it is a national company and they ship cars all over (to and from places where its more acceptable). Once again though, I probably wouldn't buy a car there.

-Charlie

Edit - I just went to the Lexus of Glendale (CA) website - if you search their used cars section, you can see the badging...
phattyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #27
baldolera

Drives: None Yet
I would buy a license plate frame that attaches to the toe hook or something and tell the dealer not to put the badges and not to drill the holes in the front bumper. If they are willing to, which they would probably be if I just bought a car from them, I would ask them to install the license plate frame for me.
baldolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #28
Ochtó-Sé
TORETTO!

Drives: FT86 Concept
Dealers here think they're fully entitled to do it. Nothing looks worse than a brand new car with a massive yellow ad plastered, usually unevenly, onto the rear windscreen.

I'll be making it very clear that if I see a hint of any of that shit on my 86 I'm walking away.
Ochtó-Sé is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealers