follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #5391
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
@peaches does this mean you're switching from the dual cooler to the track cooler?

I just made this switch but haven't been able to get out to a track day yet with the plastic (trimmed) trim pieces in place to report properly. For a weak point of reference I have a stretch of highway that is rather tight and curvy so lots of redline pulls, and oil temp hit ~243F within ~20min, ambient was close to (slightly above) freezing.

I also have a drift bar coming my way soon.

If you can wait I'll post here with my track results - but with the current lockdown it might be a while..
I'm not changing the radiator but yes I'm ditching the oil piece and setting up the track oil cooler. I'm not in a hurry, also planning to extend the intake and put gold tape on the pipes to reduce intake temps like @ML did. I have other priorities but as soon as I have some cash I'll get the parts, maybe tracks will be open then.

Last time I tested this I just sat on the highway on 5th close to redline, waited for temps to come up “¯\_(ツ)_/¯”
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #5392
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post
I'm not changing the radiator but yes I'm ditching the oil piece and setting up the track oil cooler. I'm not in a hurry, also planning to extend the intake and put gold tape on the pipes to reduce intake temps like @ML did. I have other priorities but as soon as I have some cash I'll get the parts, maybe tracks will be open then.

Last time I tested this I just sat on the highway on 5th close to redline, waited for temps to come up “¯\_(ツ)_/¯”
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #5393
peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Always too much traffic to be varying speeds\rpms, limited options without a track. Crude but it works.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:50 PM   #5394
dreamwonder

Drives: GR86 2022
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Will add a quick data point.

Had the supercharger with the track oil cooler installed in the beginning of last year. For its first track season clocked 24k total miles, with 8k being on track. I would say 30 of those days are hpde format, so 4 20ish min sessions. 10 of days are open lapping with 8 30ish min sessions. Handful of drifting and autocross events.

Car ran good overall, did not notice any oil over heating problem. Oem header cracked about 30 track days in. Throw out bearing was gone at the same time. Toasted about 5 coil packs. Notice oil seeping around the cam sensor area near the end of the season and had to clean the MAF more frequently (once every few events). So vented both crankcase breathers, will report back next year if that helped.

Also, the engine oil cooler line rubbed the oem airbox metal bracket and torn mid season, luckily it happen while driving on the street, had it replaced. Removed the bracket to resolve problem (I don't recall if the install instruction said anything about removing it).

CSG Mike is a valuable resource, consider giving them the business if you are planning to buy one. So you wont feel guilty every time you ask him for help.

Last edited by dreamwonder; 04-09-2020 at 08:01 AM.
dreamwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreamwonder For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (04-09-2020), WC-BRZ (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 08:37 AM   #5395
peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwonder View Post

Had the supercharger with the track oil cooler installed in the beginning of last year. For its first track season clocked 24k total miles, with 8k being on track. I would say 30 of those days are hpde format, so 4 20ish min sessions. 10 of days are open lapping with 8 30ish min sessions. Handful of drifting and autocross events.

Car ran good overall, did not notice any oil over heating problem. Oem header cracked about 30 track days in. Throw out bearing was gone at the same time. Toasted about 5 coil packs. Notice oil seeping around the cam sensor area near the end of the season and had to clean the MAF more frequently (once every few events). So vented both crankcase breathers, will report back next year if that helped.
What do you use to monitor the oil temps?

Something I remembered yesterday, I've never had an issue with a coil pack. I have had a spare one for years and never used it, strange considering the heat I put it through. .
Old 04-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #5396
CSG Mike

Quote:

Also, the engine oil cooler line rubbed the oem airbox metal bracket and torn mid season, luckily it happen while driving on the street, had it replaced. Removed the bracket to resolve problem (I don't recall if the install instruction said anything about removing it).

CSG Mike is a valuable resource, consider giving them the business if you are planning to buy one. So you wont feel guilty every time you ask him for help.

It's supposed to be removed, but many folks forget it because they're excited about taking the oem airbox out!

Consider the IP coilpacks if you get tired of swapping regularly. It's a PITA when you have to swap with a hot engine between sessions.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #5397
dreamwonder

Drives: GR86 2022
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
What do you use to monitor the oil temps?

Something I remembered yesterday, I've never had an issue with a coil pack. I have had a spare one for years and never used it, strange considering the heat I put it through. .
I just use the gauge on the instrument cluster.
dreamwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #5398
CSG Mike

Quote:
I just use the gauge on the instrument cluster.
The gauge on your FRS is a coolant temp gauge.

Unless you've swapped in a different cluster.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #5399
peaches

Quote:
The gauge on your FRS is a coolant temp gauge.

Unless you've swapped in a different cluster.
I was going to say that, but apparently the newer cars with the digital readout have an oil temp gauge in there
Old 04-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #5400
CSG Mike

Quote:
I was going to say that, but apparently the newer cars with the digital readout have an oil temp gauge in there
I initially thought that, but there's never been a "FRS" released with that gauge cluster as an option...

That cluster, however, is a drop-in for any 13-16.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (04-10-2020), ybotspawn (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #5401
peaches

Quote:
I initially thought that, but there's never been a "FRS" released with that gauge cluster as an option...

Interesting, didn't know it was a BRZ thing. The guy that made the trac-box has a kit for the swap, found it while I was researching this before posting.

I was curious because I had to get the ECUTek dongle after the Innovate gauge started giving me false readings when I went FI, don't want to spend more money getting a different gauge for that reading.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #5402
CSG Mike

Quote:
Interesting, didn't know it was a BRZ thing. The guy that made the trac-box has a kit for the swap, found it while I was researching this before posting.

I was curious because I had to get the ECUTek dongle after the Innovate gauge started giving me false readings when I went FI, don't want to spend more money getting a different gauge for that reading.
More, a 17+ thing; some trims of the 86 also have the alternate gauge cluster.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #5403
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You are giving me ideas. But I am starting to feel tired of modding my car. I should resist.

Can we move on from this "my car is heating up" complaints? I am more interested in "how I cool my engine posts". We have increased power from 200 to 300 hp. Engine heating up on track is obviously expected. Tell us how you cool down.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #5404
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
You are giving me ideas. But I am starting to feel tired of modding my car. I should resist.

Can we move on from this "my car is heating up" complaints? I am more interested in "how I cool my engine posts". We have increased power from 200 to 300 hp. Engine heating up on track is obviously expected. Tell us how you cool down.
Hood vents, and keeping or emulating/replicating the factory ducting is key!
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (04-11-2020)