follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #15
Lobstr

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixter145 View Post
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2
They will be best for street driving.

It's true that because of the temp in Van BC, you won't be running the Michelin PSS at it's best temperature... that's what people have been saying and using AS3s (I am down in Seattle). If you track/autoX though, the PSS will be better for sure. You mentioned u have a dedicated winters already so I recommend getting the Hankook's
I don't ever see myself tracking the car in the next few years so I don't think that should influence the tire choice. how are people liking the as3 choice vs dedicated summer tires? I live in roughly the same climate as you Seattle dwellers so I would love to know what they think of them.
Lobstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #16
alanhung85

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsthefuzz View Post
I wasn't aware that they tested the Michelin PSS and Conti DW together. If they did, I missed that article and would actually really like to see it. I should correct myself, I'm not one hundred percent on the capabilities of the PSS in the wet other than what I have read on tirerack. They did say that they were very capable in the wet compared to the tires tested against it. (Advan Sports, Bridgestone Pole Position S-04, and Dunlop SportMaxx) In the test with the Contis that was their claim to fame against the others. The PSS are also a lower treadwear, but not by much. 340 to 300 respectively. I would have loved to have the PSS and would have bought them if I hadn't have gotten a great deal on the Contis. For the size that I'm running they would have cost a couple hundred more for a full set. Plus like I said, I wanted a little more comfort and by my understanding, not what the PSS is known for.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148
alanhung85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^^ haha beat me to it
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #18
rixter145
Sleep Chomper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
http://vancouver.about.com/od/vancou...er-Weather.htm

If you look at this, for a summer tire to perform decent it'd have to be > 7 degrees celsius (45 F) which is effectively Apr to Oct [7 months] of the year.

Given that you already have a set of winters, getting all seasons is like moot because you will be swapping when the weather turns around.

The people who have the as3s down in Seattle don't have a winter set so that's why they got what they got.

In terms of your question about putting equal driver in the twisties, (if the temperature is > 45 F) the PSS will destroy the as3. That's the thing the PSS is meant for - max summer performance. If it's < 45 F, then the AS3 will win.

In any case, if you do go with the as3, u might as well just sell your winter tires as you won't need winter tires in Vancouver weather (unless you go to the mountains to snowboard/ski)
rixter145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #19
Lobstr

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixter145 View Post
http://vancouver.about.com/od/vancou...er-Weather.htm

If you look at this, for a summer tire to perform decent it'd have to be > 7 degrees celsius (45 F) which is effectively Apr to Oct [7 months] of the year.

Given that you already have a set of winters, getting all seasons is like moot because you will be swapping when the weather turns around.

The people who have the as3s down in Seattle don't have a winter set so that's why they got what they got.

In terms of your question about putting equal driver in the twisties, (if the temperature is > 45 F) the PSS will destroy the as3. That's the thing the PSS is meant for - max summer performance. If it's < 45 F, then the AS3 will win.

In any case, if you do go with the as3, u might as well just sell your winter tires as you won't need winter tires in Vancouver weather (unless you go to the mountains to snowboard/ski)
That's actually a really good point. right now I'm leaning towards the Hankook V12s or Continental because I can't really see this being a hard year weather wise.

It's just such a Big decision And I'm new to this world of performance cars.
Lobstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #20
rixter145
Sleep Chomper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Hrm knowing that it will rain a lot in Van... (since i'm from there lols) I think the DW might be better than v12s. They also last a fucking long time
rixter145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #21
aghuman

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Bringing this thread back to life.

I'm in a similar predicament deciding between the PSS and AS3 but my main drive towards the AS3 is to get more mileage out of the tire. I've run a set of PSS for the past 2 years but they are toast now and needed a new set with similar performance but longer tread life. I put a ton of highway km's on my car so I need to keep that in mind.

As great as the PSS have been, im wondering if anyone has any experience with the AS3 on the car for dry weather handling? I don't track the vehicle, I take it on some back road twisties here and there but nothing crazy. I also have a dedicated set of winters so the 4 season thing isn't an issue.

Just looking for a mileage trade off at the cost of some dry weather performance but I'm wondering if that trade off is worth it.
aghuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #22
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
aghuman: imho proper summer tire vs all season (or sporty one) will last even longer. There have to be some compromises to be made in all season for it to get grip at low temps, that real summer tires don't have to. Of course, between AS3 & PSS (which also is not generic summer tire, but for performance reasons may wear sooner then even allseason one, instead providing you that extra grip) PSS might not be one lasting longer, but if you broaden choice above those two there might be even better choices if tire mileage is one that you prioritize.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #23
aghuman

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
aghuman: imho proper summer tire vs all season (or sporty one) will last even longer. There have to be some compromises to be made in all season for it to get grip at low temps, that real summer tires don't have to. Of course, between AS3 & PSS (which also is not generic summer tire, but for performance reasons may wear sooner then even allseason one, instead providing you that extra grip) PSS might not be one lasting longer, but if you broaden choice above those two there might be even better choices if tire mileage is one that you prioritize.
Fair point, I'm not set on these 2 tires. I just thought it's a fair starting point for comparison between categories.

The thought that the AS3 will give more mileage is a 50k warranty for treadwear compared to 30k on the PSS.
aghuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #24
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghuman View Post
Fair point, I'm not set on these 2 tires. I just thought it's a fair starting point for comparison between categories.

The thought that the AS3 will give more mileage is a 50k warranty for treadwear compared to 30k on the PSS.
The other way you could go is to find almost as sticky tires as PSS for less money, which is what a lot of people do. And there are a bunch of them that are almost as sticky but are less money, because with PSS you pay for that Michelin name.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #25
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
BTW, at least Michelin themselves claim that MPS4 should be close to PSS, but at wider available sizes/cheaper prices/better wear.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #26
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
omgosh thread necro.

this whole thread has 0% validity for what we need. Michelin has a completely redesigned and even completely different rubber used tire in the 3+. According to Tcoat, King of the North and leader of Winterfell, the AS 3+ is the tire to get, even over summer performance. I am getting them when my OEM's look thinner or I just get a boost in patients.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #27
LotsaMiles

Drives: Scion FR-s, xB, iA, Silverado Z71 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
omgosh thread necro.

this whole thread has 0% validity for what we need. Michelin has a completely redesigned and even completely different rubber used tire in the 3+. According to Tcoat, King of the North and leader of Winterfell, the AS 3+ is the tire to get, even over summer performance. I am getting them when my OEM's look thinner or I just get a boost in patients.
I have 129k on my FRS and drive the twisties from central KY to Louisville every day. I've been through 6 sets of tires and a half hour ago just pulled the trigger on my next set.

After the OEM's I picked up some Potenza RE11A's. They were simply amazing regarding traction, but they only lasted about 11 or 12 k. I still replaced them with the same, but in 225, same wear. But I loved driving a slot car. The stiff sidewalls just made the steering response amazing.

I then tried the Potenzia re71r's. They felt and stuck like the re11a's, but growled like off road tires and only gave me 9,000 miles.

I then tried some hankooks and hated them. I felt like I traded my pontiac for a buick. The sidewalls were so soft that I completely lost that slot car feel. It civilized a car that I did not want to civilize.

I followed that up with my favorite tires, which I'm now replacing. They were only slightly less sticky than the Re11's in the dry, but are simply amazing in the rain, which we get here in KY in heavy doses from time to time. And they got almost twice the mileage for just a few bucks more per tire.

Naturally I'm talking about the PSS's.

I swore they are all I'd ever put on my DD from now on. I never get tired of the fun on these roads. I don't even worry about cops, but do have to watch for deer. I have great dash cam footage of a deer that ran right out in front of me (I was doing 65) and God pushed him just to the left fast enough that he missed my front bumper/headlight by maybe an inch or less.

I checked my back tires when I got my oil changed yesterday and one of the rears was completely bald in the middle. So it's time to replace 'em.

I went to costco online to order another set and noticed the a/s 3+ for about $15 less per tire. I checked out a lot of reviews and even called Michelin. Considering the weather we get and my driving it about 11 months out of the year (I drive the 1st gen xB in the one month of snow worries) and the extra tread life expectations, it was time to tame it down SLIGHTLY. I called Michelin to see if I was going to notice more lateral sloppyness compared to the PSS and the RE11a's. The guy thought I'd love them but he also didn't seem to really know, but I'm about to find out.

I'll report back after I've got a few commutes on them. I'm really hoping I don't lose that slot-car feel.

BTW, I went to change my brakes a couple thousand miles ago for the first time and they were fine. I'll check back in a couple thousand more.

I still need to do my first spark plug replacement, but it's running fine and mileage is still excellent, so I don't know why I need to.
LotsaMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LotsaMiles For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (09-26-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #28
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsaMiles View Post
I have 129k on my FRS and drive the twisties from central KY to Louisville every day. I've been through 6 sets of tires and a half hour ago just pulled the trigger on my next set.

After the OEM's I picked up some Potenza RE11A's. They were simply amazing regarding traction, but they only lasted about 11 or 12 k. I still replaced them with the same, but in 225, same wear. But I loved driving a slot car. The stiff sidewalls just made the steering response amazing.

I then tried the Potenzia re71r's. They felt and stuck like the re11a's, but growled like off road tires and only gave me 9,000 miles.

I then tried some hankooks and hated them. I felt like I traded my pontiac for a buick. The sidewalls were so soft that I completely lost that slot car feel. It civilized a car that I did not want to civilize.

I followed that up with my favorite tires, which I'm now replacing. They were only slightly less sticky than the Re11's in the dry, but are simply amazing in the rain, which we get here in KY in heavy doses from time to time. And they got almost twice the mileage for just a few bucks more per tire.

Naturally I'm talking about the PSS's.

I swore they are all I'd ever put on my DD from now on. I never get tired of the fun on these roads. I don't even worry about cops, but do have to watch for deer. I have great dash cam footage of a deer that ran right out in front of me (I was doing 65) and God pushed him just to the left fast enough that he missed my front bumper/headlight by maybe an inch or less.

I checked my back tires when I got my oil changed yesterday and one of the rears was completely bald in the middle. So it's time to replace 'em.

I went to costco online to order another set and noticed the a/s 3+ for about $15 less per tire. I checked out a lot of reviews and even called Michelin. Considering the weather we get and my driving it about 11 months out of the year (I drive the 1st gen xB in the one month of snow worries) and the extra tread life expectations, it was time to tame it down SLIGHTLY. I called Michelin to see if I was going to notice more lateral sloppyness compared to the PSS and the RE11a's. The guy thought I'd love them but he also didn't seem to really know, but I'm about to find out.

I'll report back after I've got a few commutes on them. I'm really hoping I don't lose that slot-car feel.

BTW, I went to change my brakes a couple thousand miles ago for the first time and they were fine. I'll check back in a couple thousand more.

I still need to do my first spark plug replacement, but it's running fine and mileage is still excellent, so I don't know why I need to.
I hate to break it to ya! You will not be happy with the A/S3's if you're doing a direct comparison to the PSS. The PSS is a really fantastic summer tire, the A/S3 is a good summer oriented all season.

As someone who runs RE71R's and S-04's on my cars, if I considered stepping down to something more tame than the S-04 it would likely be the V12 because they are so inexpensive, and run them at a slightly higher pressure to gain back some of the stiff sidewall.

I do hope they work out for you though!
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote