follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #589
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,152 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
DSOmegaX STi BRZ tS Completed Build

So 5 years ago in August 2012, I picked up my car from this very spot! For those who don't know, my car started as a stock BRZ limited (I lost count of how many times I've had to tell people that its NOT a series.blue) that I purchased out of state from Oregon and then had it shipped down to California to avoid the ridiculous markups when the car was launched (average markup prices were around 7500 at the time).

What's happened in the 5 years since? Well here we go:

- I've driven a total of 72000 miles. The car was my daily from 2012 to the later half of 2014 when I picked up a '15 WRX as my new daily (which then got replaced in 2015 with my '16 Golf R). Fun fact if you're following my build only recently: I had planned for the WRX to be built up to mimic the BRZ; a S4 tS build. My wallet thanks me for not pursuing it (but I did say fuck you to the wallet too since I ended up just buying a more expensive car).

- The obvious change is the full tS build. If you had told me this is where the car would end up 5 years ago, I would have laughed it off. Originally, the car had simple modifications from different aftermarket companies, but once the first few STi parts were installed, something clicked in me that made me decide this was the route I had to pursue.

- Amazingly, I've yet to encounter any mechanical issues at all. I've been running E85 for almost two years ago and yet everything works as it should. Others who have driven it are always surprised when I tell them its a 2013 with high mileage.

- So what comes next? The build continues to roll along as long as I continue to own the car (see below). The recaros are still on the table, and there will actually be a new exterior mod coming in the next few weeks.

- However, I do admit that the sun may have begun to set. This is actually the longest I've ever kept a car. While I am not actively trying to sell the car, I would entertain the idea of letting it go if the right buyer came along. I will say that this has been a decision I've been really struggling with over the last year actually. While the amount of time and resources poured in is a factor for keeping the car, the pure sentimental value it represents is what makes eventually selling it incredibly difficult. Some of my now closest friends came about as a result of this car, and its been a part of some of my most difficult times in life. And yet, being a car enthusiast, you just always have that itch to move on to the next car because, well, life is short and there's just so many cars to be driven/owned. For now though, it won't be swapping hands just yet.

I do want to thank all of you for continuing to follow the build, whether from the very beginning or whether you've just joined in this year. It's also exciting to see people get inspired by the car to pursue their own tS or equivalent builds!

Cheers!

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
Busybee (08-17-2018), dattran86 (08-15-2017), Ethereal05 (08-24-2017), Mr.Impreza (08-15-2017), TylerLieberman (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #590
Dan37BRZ
Senior Citizen

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looks fantastic. Very tasteful my friend.
Dan37BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #591
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wow, I would of never guessed that you had so much miles! The car always looks so mint and that it's barely driven haha.

My 2015 which I have owned for 3 years only has 18,000 miles =P

But yeah, lovely build and looking forward to what other mods you pick up. The seats would be a nice touch.

~

I understand the want of always moving on to another build....but I'll never do it with this car. I always miss my 2002 WRX STI build and even if I wanted to buy a 2002 today...you can't find any in good condition since most are rusted out or have super high mileage.

So, I still believe that you should never sell your BRZ...but then again...maybe you don't get attached to cars as much as me

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #592
DSOmegaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Wow, I would of never guessed that you had so much miles! The car always looks so mint and that it's barely driven haha.

My 2015 which I have owned for 3 years only has 18,000 miles =P

But yeah, lovely build and looking forward to what other mods you pick up. The seats would be a nice touch.

~

I understand the want of always moving on to another build....but I'll never do it with this car. I always miss my 2002 WRX STI build and even if I wanted to buy a 2002 today...you can't find any in good condition since most are rusted out or have super high mileage.

So, I still believe that you should never sell your BRZ...but then again...maybe you don't get attached to cars as much as me

I would say it's my attachment that's holding me back . Objectively I think everyone would say it's a no brainer to switch since the car I've been looking to acquire is an M2. I'd be open to switching out the Golf R for it, but it presents some concerns, the primary one being that I don't actually store both cars in my garage. The R typically sits out, and putting an M2 out there seems like a waste (cause for sure I wouldn't leave the BRZ out there). Losing the practicality of the hatch to have two coupes would be odd as well.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #593
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
I would say it's my attachment that's holding me back . Objectively I think everyone would say it's a no brainer to switch since the car I've been looking to acquire is an M2. I'd be open to switching out the Golf R for it, but it presents some concerns, the primary one being that I don't actually store both cars in my garage. The R typically sits out, and putting an M2 out there seems like a waste (cause for sure I wouldn't leave the BRZ out there). Losing the practicality of the hatch to have two coupes would be odd as well.
I don't know...I've owned a BMW and I didn't enjoy it personally. However you seem to like European cars more than me

I'd personally keep the BRZ and just get a BMW M3 sedan if you want to experience the BMW lifestyle
I mean your married now, so if you decide to have kids sometime in the near future it would be a pretty awesome family car.

But again, it depends on your interests in cars because they probably differ from mine.

For me, I like a luxurious ride....but I die of boredom if that is all I own. Hence why I didn't like owning a BMW as my only car. I need a luxury car & a Japanese raw sports car, so now I'm in a better place with my current line up of cars

Old 08-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #594
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
For me, I like a luxurious ride....but I die of boredom if that is all I own. Hence why I didn't like owning a BMW as my only car. I need a luxury car & a Japanese raw sports car, so now I'm in a better place with my current line up of cars
Coming from my previous car (1978 Datsun 280Z), the BRZ is a luxurious ride. I still go "coooool, power windows and mirrors....nifty...."

I used to have to roll down the passenger window, lean over and manually poke at the passenger-side mirror. I'd sit back in my seat, check the view and repeat.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (08-25-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 04:09 AM   #595
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Too bad you're thinking to sell it, but on the other hand your mileage is high. Personally, I have a plan to keep mine for ever. I consider it a special car, because it is modded with quality parts and they work as a whole. However, it is 3 years old and I have approximately 4k miles.

Last edited by nikitopo; 08-20-2017 at 08:41 AM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (08-25-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #596
DSOmegaX

People seem to really like booty pics

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
asdf (08-22-2017), Mr.Impreza (08-25-2017), weederr33 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #597
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Beautiful as always!
@DSOmegaX How do you like the Air Blue tint on the windshield? Is it noticeably blue and would you recommend it for all windows if I want no darkening of the windows but would like some added heat deflection?

Last edited by asdf; 08-22-2017 at 03:44 PM.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #598
DSOmegaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Beautiful as always!
@DSOmegaX How do you like the Air Blue tint on the windshield? Is it noticeably blue and would you recommend it for all windows if I want no darkening of the windows but would like some added heat deflection?
I highly recommend it. It's pretty much indiscernible once you've adapted to it. You can see a faint blue tint when you compare untinted glass to it but unless you knew it was tinted it pretty much looks optically clear.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #599
Ethereal05

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
So glad to hear you have reached a point in the build that you feel you accomplished what you set out to do. I have to say thank you as your car inspired my car as it sits today. Sad to hear you may be ready to move on to newer projects but I understand. I personally have grown so attached to this platform and my car in particular, I don't see myself getting rid of it. If you part with it are you looking to selling it as is? I just can't see a one-of-a-kind build like this to be parted out.
Ethereal05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #600
DSOmegaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal05 View Post
So glad to hear you have reached a point in the build that you feel you accomplished what you set out to do. I have to say thank you as your car inspired my car as it sits today. Sad to hear you may be ready to move on to newer projects but I understand. I personally have grown so attached to this platform and my car in particular, I don't see myself getting rid of it. If you part with it are you looking to selling it as is? I just can't see a one-of-a-kind build like this to be parted out.

Oh for sure the plan would be to sell as is if I do decide to. But that's one of the reasons I'm dreading selling it haha. I know it's going to be a bitch to sell it at what is "fair."

The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
Ethereal05 (09-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #601
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Oh for sure the plan would be to sell as is if I do decide to. But that's one of the reasons I'm dreading selling it haha. I know it's going to be a bitch to sell it at what is "fair."
If you end up deciding to sell it and decide to part it out, than dibs on the Fujitsubo header lol

Old 08-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #602
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Would hate to see you part it out, but would love to buy the STI air bag cover if you decide to do so
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote