follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
KSpider

Drives: '14 S4
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Innovate Stage 2 + e85, now what?

I have the Innovated SC w/IC ordered, along with the flex fuel kit. I ordered a new fuel pump and injectors.

Anything else I am going to need to keep things running smoothly? I don't think I need any more power at this point, I just want to make sure nothing falls apart or blows up.

Last edited by KSpider; 10-22-2013 at 04:10 PM.
KSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Ross

Drives: 85 corolla gts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
for install? To make more power? Sorry it is kind of an open question. If you would be more specific, I am sure you can get the answers you are looking for.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
KSpider (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpider View Post
I have the Innovated SC w/IC ordered, along with the flex fuel kit. I ordered a new fuel pump and injectors.

Anything else I am going to need to keep things running smoothly? I don't think I need any more power at this point, I just want to make sure nothing falls apart or blows up.
Do you have a tuner lined up?

IAT Sensor/relocation plate?
MAP sensor if you're planning on running the 70mm pulley?

An oil cooler is never a bad idea when talking reliability in these cars.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
KSpider

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Do you have a tuner lined up?

IAT Sensor/relocation plate?
MAP sensor if you're planning on running the 70mm pulley?

An oil cooler is never a bad idea when talking reliability in these cars.
Bill @ Delicious will be tuning it.
Im keeping the 75mm pulley.
Do I need an IAT sensor/relocation plate?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Do I need an IAT sensor/relocation plate?
It depends, the stock IAT sensor is in the MAF sensor which is pre-blower, making the IAT readings that the ECU sees artificially low. That said, almost nobody has had the modified IAT sensor/plate up until this point and their cars have worked fine so far. From a reliability standpoint though, I can only imagine the relocated IAT sensor would give the tuner a little more flexibility in making a safe, but powerful tune if the ECU was able to see true IAT's and make compensations to timing/fuel accordingly.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
KSpider (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
KSpider

Fa20club IAT relocate kit and map sensor ordered.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Might want to pick up a clutch.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
calispec

Drives: Subaru BRZ with Delicious Innovate
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
The first thing I did to my car was make a custom Radiator with integrated oil cooler. Here is the before and after temp data for a 20 minute run at Nelsons Ledges in Ohio

Name:  OilCooler.JPG
Views: 1130
Size:  62.0 KB

the OE oil temp sensor is after the filter and thus after the oil-cooler. I haven't put a thermocouple on the pre cooler side yet to see the temperature delta but I plan to soon. I assume its about a 30F delta... normal daily driving in temps from 40 to 90 stabilize around 180F. This is POST cooler temps. My guess is about 205 in the pan and probably 220 in the heads. I want to back all this ASSumption with some actual data and I pan to.

I have the Innovate bolted on now. Haven't seen much of a change for daily driving and she hasn't seen the track yet. Its getting cold here and I probably won't get on a track again before spring. By then I'll have 70mm pulley and charge cooler on.

ON TO THE INSTALL:
Most the pictures looked like they came from a RHD car. This made it a little confusing a couple times. Take the firewall to shock tower braces off. It makes things a little easier.

Routing all the hoses is probably the hardest part. make sure they are as flat as possible so the manifold doesn't rock back and forth on them.

You WILL need two people to help you put the manifold/blower on

When relocating the evap I just reused the existing bolt instead of using the bolt that is provided in the kit. I also replaced the evap hose with a longer hose that was not used in the install and cut it to length. The one that the instructions said to use was a little too short (or I am an idiot and did something wrong)

make sure you look at ALL of the extension harnesses. This is what mine looked like.

the blue and green are SWAPPED. I have heard that sometimes they are swapped or not pushed in all the way. It didn't want to start that way

The hardest thing for me was learning and setting up EcuTek.. My suggestion is to ask your tuner for a stock flash. Get that flashed to your car before you attempt the install. That way your car is still together and still working if something goes wrong.. all the stars in the sky have to align so that all the license files can communicate with each other over the internet and allow you to flash the ecu for the first time... It took me 4 hours to do just that. Flash a STOCK tune to my car. Once you have flashed the ecu for the first time it is a walk in the park to flash it again. I wanted to datalog for a few days on the stock setup.. to do so with EcuTek you must first have a EcuTek map on the ECU that you are data logging from. I found all this out after the fact. I also couldn't find any useful information on EcuTek's website but then again I didn't look very hard.

I hope that helps.. If you have any questions about the install or anything for that matter.. just ask!!!!! You won't be disappointed with the Delicious tune either!! This charger is PERFECT for this car. Has the perfect amount of power and the throttle response is FANTASTIC. If you couldn't hear and had never driven a twin before you wouldn't know there wasn't a flat 6 under the hood. I haven't stopped smiling yet... and there is still a little more power to be made.... oh.. and dat whine!!!
calispec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calispec For This Useful Post:
MidnightRunner (02-19-2014)
Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Headers and a full exhaust would be a nice addition too

I'd recommend hks el with a 3" headerback
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
KSpider

Thanks guys. I have 3" catback and 3"
Front pipe. I'm probably going to stay away from headers at the moment.

In terms or clutch, is it bad to just use stock (only 850 miles on the car) until it gets worn down? I hate to buy a clutch and put the brand new one on a shelf. It will be ok just wear faster or what?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks guys. I have 3" catback and 3"
Front pipe. I'm probably going to stay away from headers at the moment.

In terms or clutch, is it bad to just use stock (only 850 miles on the car) until it gets worn down? I hate to buy a clutch and put the brand new one on a shelf. It will be ok just wear faster or what?
Depending on your target power range, you will go through the clutch real fast over a certain level of power. What are you aiming for/planning?
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
KSpider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
Depending on your target power range, you will go through the clutch real fast over a certain level of power. What are you aiming for/planning?

With sc, IC and e85 I'm assuming whp is going to be in the 280-300whp range.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
After going through a month of hell with the install on the Sprintex SC IC, these are the issues I experienced

Map sensor harnesses - make sure colors match up by plugging in each end. Verify all the pins in the plugs are there and straight. I was missing a pin and one was bent, hence car would not idle.
Stick to the OEM map sensor in the beginning, until your tuner has got you running up to your second log submission. This also allows you to pick up on CELs that come up. I found the other map sensors did not register any cel, when the car was not running.
IAT plate does not fit the 2.5 Bosch sensor so you might need Omni Power 3 bar map sensor. I have had not issues since installing IAT.
Get extra coolant, I used a extra 5litres while running the car for the first 3 days.

Delicous Tuning - William is simply awesome his tune gets the car running from word go and he knows this kit so well, makes a huge difference.

Hope this helps
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #14
KSpider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
After going through a month of hell with the install on the Sprintex SC IC, these are the issues I experienced

Map sensor harnesses - make sure colors match up by plugging in each end. Verify all the pins in the plugs are there and straight. I was missing a pin and one was bent, hence car would not idle.
Stick to the OEM map sensor in the beginning, until your tuner has got you running up to your second log submission. This also allows you to pick up on CELs that come up. I found the other map sensors did not register any cel, when the car was not running.
IAT plate does not fit the 2.5 Bosch sensor so you might need Omni Power 3 bar map sensor. I have had not issues since installing IAT.
Get extra coolant, I used a extra 5litres while running the car for the first 3 days.

Delicous Tuning - William is simply awesome his tune gets the car running from word go and he knows this kit so well, makes a huge difference.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info! I have the omni power 3 bar MAP sensor on order along with the IAT plate. My local tuning shop has installed a few Innovate Superchargers, however, mine will be the first intercooled kit.